Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Great to meet up with a fellow PDFer for a coffee. Great chatting and hanging for a bit, have a great rest of the tour and se you in the not so distant future. Miles is definitely the real deal, and a really nice guy too!

(Apologies in advance for my terrible camera work!)
    Very cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

2. Vintage 1968

How's the tour going Miles?

3. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Great to meet up with a fellow PDFer for a coffee. Great chatting and hanging for a bit, have a great rest of the tour and se you in the not so distant future. Miles is definitely the real deal, and a really nice guy too!

(Apologies in advance for my terrible camera work!)
    Great meeting you, my dude, and thanks for posting!
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

4. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    How's the tour going Miles?
    Great, thank you! I guess I've really blew it with this whole blog thing ha ha!

OK. I covered Australia in the first post. After that we went to:

LONDON

We didn't actually play here, just hung out for 4 days. The artist had a ton of promo to do with Polydor\Universal, so we got to just hang and enjoy the city. We stayed in Shoreditch which is super hip and full of wicked food (go to Smokestak for brisket and Dishoom's for Indian, if you're in the area!). I also checked out Foote's Drum Shop on RushDrums24's advice, and visited the British Museum. One of the artists* we were on tour with had a showcase in London, so I went to see that at Soho House in Camden. I also visited a buddy from Toronto that lives on the Thames and went for lots of long walks. We also checked out the bagel shop Amy Winehouse recommended to Questlove, which is now his favourite in the world.

*We're on tour with Jawny Utah, who is a party onstage and off, and The Last Artful Dodgr, who is my new favourite MC.

We stayed at The Curtain, which was beautiful and rock n roll themed. I've attached a picture of the inside of the dresser.

Here are some other cool architectural things. I'm taking lots of pictures on this trip, but I'm new to taking pictures so they probably suck.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Miles Gibbons

More random stuff; these imposing fence denizens, some of the super rad London street art, and the purported birthplace of Ping Pong.

6. Miles Gibbons

Next was

BERLIN

I was very excited about Berlin. I've heard such great things about the city's culture and music, and my mom's side of the family is German. We didn't stay for very long in Berlin, but we played a great showcase, did a wild video shoot, and got to hang with our supremely awesome tour buds. We stayed at the Michelburger Hotel, which is by far the coolest hotel I've ever visited, and might possibly ever stay at. Each room was like a mini hostel (with secondary loft level), the bar\food was amazing, and there was an amazing communal\sustainable\accessible\culture nurturing atmosphere. They host music festivals, have an outdoor sauna, and make their own coconut water. The breakfast here was unbelievable.

We basically landed, checked in, went for a street burger and then partied on the first night.

The second day started, basically, with a soundcheck - which was amazing. The German crew was over prepared, over helpful and had our stage dialled to a T. Also, the catering was amazing. Best venue catering by far. In between soundcheck and the show, we recorded a live "circle" session video shoot in a massive disused Soviet-built bath house. The location was incredible but a little challenging because of all of the natural reverb. I had to play a few bars of "Fool in the Rain" in here. Check out www.instagram.com/milesondrums for a sample of that. We went immediately from the shoot back to the show, which went really well. A bass player friend from Toronto was touring Europe at the same time, and had an off-night, so he came to the show and we hung out for hours after. I've been partying more on this tour then I ever have in my life ha ha. Germany was my first example of how amazing all of Europe's English is - I have German family, and took compulsory French in elementary school, but I'd be useless communicating throughout Europe, if it wasn't for how great everyone's English was. All of these amazing people make me feel very lazy... and uncool and badly dressed and with bad taste in music and food ha ha.

I'll start with shots of the hotel.
    Last edited by MilesAway; 02-22-2020 at 12:55 PM.

7. Registered User

Dude I'm jealous! Looks like a ton of fun. Also, I would have been out of mind to be in Sydney and have the chance to check out local act The Neptune Power Federation. Keep posting!

8. Miles Gibbons

Here is the the backline kit provided in Germany.... it was a really nice Gretsch kit, Ludwig snare and some Istanbul Agop cymbals. I've never played their pop or rock stuff, just their thinner jazz models; these cymbals were really nice - what's up Istanbul!? Let's chat! The only gear I brought was my SPD-SX with an FS7 footswitch for starting tracks, and all of my cables\in-ears. Also here are the Berlin posters, and The Big Lebowski, which plays on a 24\7 loop in the halls of the hotel, as well as channel 4 on the TVs in each room.
    Last edited by MilesAway; 02-22-2020 at 01:09 PM.

9. Miles Gibbons

Here's the bath house we shot at - so cool! It's abandoned, and I'm not sure what the plan for the building is in the future. I was surprised the backline in Germany wasn't Sonor for the show, but that was soon rectified when we arrived here after soundcheck.
    Last edited by MilesAway; 02-22-2020 at 01:10 PM.

10. Miles Gibbons

Some Instagram shots I poached from strangers, from the show. I've been doing that a lot on this tour... using Reshare to "borrow" other people's stories and posts ha ha.
    Last edited by MilesAway; 02-22-2020 at 01:11 PM.

11. Vintage 1968

Very cool Miles. I did have to laugh though about two of the pictures. The original set from Australia i noticed Ren was jumping on stage and then in the Germany pictures she's wearing a walking cast "boot".
    Looks like an amazing time. Love the pictures, and the bathhouse jam session looked like it would be fun.
    I'll be in London a month from today. Gonna try and meet up with Charlie while I'm there.

12. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Great meeting you, my dude, and thanks for posting!

Was a pleasure, would be great to do it again sometime!
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!