Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Miles Gibbons

Default AUS\EUR Tour with Ren

I normally and intentionally don't document my life with any regularity, but I'm on my first international tour so I thought it might be fun to do a little tour diary. I'm out with Ren, a 17 year-old singer from my hometown of Toronto. She just signed with Interscope\Universal, so we are doing nine industry showcases throughout Europe and Australia, a headlining show in London, and then three shows opening up for Two Feet in London again, Utrecht and Berlin. These shows are all sold out.

I'm just travelling with my personal belongings and trusty Roland SPD-SX. I play a lot of programmed style grooves on the pad, and also use it to run backing tracks, and send click to Ren and the band. All the other gear is backlined - really wish I brought cymbals, but it's all good.

We left Toronto on the 2nd, and landed in Sydney on the 4th. The only other time I've been off continent was for my honeymoon in Jamaica two years ago. Australia is amazing - the people are super friendly and the coffee is incredible... I love the informal and minimally gentrified vibe of the city, and how every block looks and feels unique We just did one show in Sydney, but it went super well. We're on tour with Jawny Utah, Col3trane and Dodger, but also played with X-Ambassadors for this gig because they are also Interscope artists, and had a show the day after ours, so they did a little stripped set.

The day after our show, Universal took us to the Taronga Zoo, the X-Ambassadors show, and a rad rock n roll bar called Frankie's. I had a great time. Then we left for Gatwick in London by way of Dubai.

Here are three pics from the show I scavenged from other people's instagram accounts;
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

2. Miles Gibbons

The AUS showcase was at Wayward Brewing Co. If you're in Sydney, they are open to the public Thursday through Sunday. Great people, and very tasty beers.

The kit was a Gretsch Catalina (decent), with a Wuhan Ride (which sounded better than I was expecting) and Zildjian Planet Z hats\crash (which sounded exactly as I expected ha ha)
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

3. Miles Gibbons

Some more shots...

4. Miles Gibbons

Ok, don't know why those showed up sideways.

The X-Ambassadors drummer was wearing a "Korn" shirt, which I thought was pretty cool.

Here's a shot of the band too... will drop some touristy stuff in here a bit later too. Just got to London and need to go find coffee!

5. Drumming Since 1943

So cool dude!! How’s the jet lag going?
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    So cool dude!! How’s the jet lag going?
    Fine, actually... I think my regular sleep schedule is so sporadic and inconsistent that the crazy time-travelling has no effect ha ha!

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Fine, actually... I think my regular sleep schedule is so sporadic and inconsistent that the crazy time-travelling has no effect ha ha!
    That only lasts for so long. Did that as a new (but older) cop years ago on the midnight tour. Gets old (and unhealthy) FAST.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    That only lasts for so long. Did that as a new (but older) cop years ago on the midnight tour. Gets old (and unhealthy) FAST.
    For what it's worth, it's been about 10 years on the gigging circuit, with day work (sessions, school workshops, admin stuff, rehearsals, travel days, Roland stuff) all the time.

9. NO KIT TOO BIG

Great stuff mate! Just replied to your PM, hopefully catch you soon.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

10. Vintage 1968

Looks like a blast. Glad you're having fun.

The AUS showcase was at Wayward Brewing Co. If you're in Sydney, they are open to the public Thursday through Sunday. Great people, and very tasty beers.

The kit was a Gretsch Catalina (decent), with a Wuhan Ride (which sounded better than I was expecting) and Zildjian Planet Z hats\crash (which sounded exactly as I expected ha ha)
    I've been pleasantly surprised with Wuhan. I own several chinas and splashes. I was wondering how there rides and crashes were.

I can relate to that.

11. The Hardware Guy

If you want a hand (or just a hang) with the London gig on the 24th, I'm not far from there.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

12. NO KIT TOO BIG

Great to meet up with a fellow PDFer for a coffee. Great chatting and hanging for a bit, have a great rest of the tour and se you in the not so distant future. Miles is definitely the real deal, and a really nice guy too!

(Apologies in advance for my terrible camera work!)
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!