Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Help identifying a Pearl drum kit?

Hi, I have just bought this kit which I can't identify exactly. I have worked out from the badge that it is from 1980-83, but I'm not sure which series. I did see the recent post from the guy from Finland about identifying his kit and this one looks similar, but most of the kits in the relevant catalogues look similar due to shell sizes, lugs and such like.
    It's going to need a lot of parts and work to restore it and it will need re-wrapping as the current wrap has seen better days. Not sure I knew what I was letting myself in for when I bought it, as many of the lugs and screws are corroded and seized. Oh well it will keep me busy!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Can you tell what type of wood they are made of and/or the number of plies in the shell?

3. Registered User

Really not sure on the wood. Hard to count the number of plies too. I think it's 6 but i'm not sure. Have a look at the attached pic (which is the best i can do with a phone camera!) It is obviously 2 types of wood. Although it's not a great pic the plies are really quite indistinct anyway. Any thoughts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Registered User

some tips for those corroded screws...use a tiny drop of wd40 on the and let them soak over night...once you remove the screws put them into a vinegar bath and let them soak, then wipe them dry...the vinegar will remove the rust and corrosion
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

5. Registered User

the drums appear to be an early 80's vintage E or M series...
    My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

6. th droids yerlookn4

they are in need of work , but i'd say you'd got i high quality kit for the era ...definitely NOT any kind of entry level.. thid was a pro kit , definitely worth the work of restoring it .

7. th droids yerlookn4

if i had to guess i'd say birch , but dont quote me , hopefully some the real gurus will get in here

8. Pearl does it for me

As OBH said, either ET or M series were both available wrapped.
    Measure the shell thickness and ply count if you can...

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

get a clearer pic of bearing edge if you can and a real good shot of interior and a pic of exterior once wrap is off .. that should help me narrow down what you have.