Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    950

    Default Bought Cymbal Online Something I said I'd Never Do

    On a recent trip to Fork's I got to audition an 18" HHX Complex Thin Crash. It was... real nice. Not sure if it it's exactly the 18 I want but it was very much in the ball park.
    I'm real picky when it comes to choosing cymbals, most don't make it past the first strike. So, ordering a cymbal online is something I would never consider.
    The street price on 18" HHX is $329 all day long. On the heels of NAMM I saw an 18" Complex Thin Crash listed on Ebay for $199. I figured, "That's a worthy crap shoot"! If I don't like it it will be an easy sell off at that price. So, the cymbal below is on a FedEx truck this morning "out for delivery". Hope it gets here before I go downtown to play this afternoon.


  2. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    950

    Default

    The cymbal arrived! This particular cymbal is...

    ...too gongy for my taste. I thought about taking it with me on my low impact gig this afternoon but it has a low fundamental pitch and I tend to go with higher pitched cymbals.
    Now to see if I can do an equitable trade with Fork's. If not I guess it's headed for FB Marketplace. I paid to ship it so it'll go on there for 225 beans Somebody will take it.

  3. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    950

    Default

    After playing it some more I have reconsidered. Perhaps the contrast of high and low is a good thang. I need to give it a chance. I can always sell it without taking a loss.

  4. Unban nik12

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Near Macon, GA
    Posts
    6,385

    Default

    Don’t forget that it’ll need some time to break in which is probably why it sounded gongy. I’m sure over a couple months it’ll begin to open up nicely. Where have you been playing lately? I work on the second floor at Merchants.

  5. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MitchLyons View Post
    Don’t forget that it’ll need some time to break in which is probably why it sounded gongy. I’m sure over a couple months it’ll begin to open up nicely. Where have you been playing lately? I work on the second floor at Merchants.
    I will have to stop into Merchant's. What nights are you there? Been wanting to eat there anyway.
    I've been subbing with a trio called Junkbox out in Smyrna, Antioch, and Murfreesboro when their drummer can't do the gig. Otherwise I haven't been too busy. I haven't been too aggressive going after gigs either. Lots of stuff going on in my life. The latest being I'm in the process of buying a house as in my wife and I will live apart although I'll just be 5 minutes from her house. In March I am set to start gigging with Chicago Charlie Fink's band.
    I've decided to keep the crash for now because it is a stark contrast to my 16" HHX Evolution.

  6. YOU POST, I PLAY.

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Earth and beyond.
    Posts
    3,523

    Default

    Being with Paiste for so many years I am not familiar with all the Sabian models and series, and I also don't know how inconsistent they can be, making it risky to buy online. Paiste is ultra consistent and what you hear on their website is what you get, so I never had issues buying Paistes online.

    Having said all that, risking being labeled as a radical Paiste fan, I have heard some Sabians that after some mixing work can sound pretty decent through the microphones. Countless drummers play them, etc... but I came to realize after all these decades that microphones listen to cymbals a bit differently than our ears, so excluding the really cheap lines on all brands, most cymbals nowadays will sound pretty good after some processing.

    You've mentioned the cymbal you purchased online is too gongy - it might sound great recorded. Case in point is my 20" Wuhan china. In person this cymbal really sounds like c*** but recorded is the most beautiful china sound my drumkit ever produced....
    My YouTube channel - old school Metal and Progressive covers.

    Drum Gear:
    Paiste, Tama, Gibraltar, Danmar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Wuhan.

    Recording/Mixing Gear:
    Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

  7. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ws6freak View Post
    Being with Paiste for so many years I am not familiar with all the Sabian models and series, and I also don't know how inconsistent they can be, making it risky to buy online. Paiste is ultra consistent and what you hear on their website is what you get, so I never had issues buying Paistes online.

    Having said all that, risking being labeled as a radical Paiste fan, I have heard some Sabians that after some mixing work can sound pretty decent through the microphones. Countless drummers play them, etc... but I came to realize after all these decades that microphones listen to cymbals a bit differently than our ears, so excluding the really cheap lines on all brands, most cymbals nowadays will sound pretty good after some processing.

    You've mentioned the cymbal you purchased online is too gongy - it might sound great recorded. Case in point is my 20" Wuhan china. In person this cymbal really sounds like c*** but recorded is the most beautiful china sound my drumkit ever produced....
    What you call "inconsistent" is the beauty of Turkish type cymbals. You can line up 10 cymbals of a model in a row and they will vary in pitch, how quickly they open up, feel, etc. There are too many variables.
    2002's and other B8 alloy cymbals don't go through the same process so there is more consistency.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    I have an 18" Zildjian Med crash. Had two at one time. Both very different sounding. I kept the best sounding in my opinion. The contrast between it and my lighter cymbals is nice. I have so many to choose from nowadays that the 18" doesn't always make the cut.

  9. @joeyryandrums

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    What you call "inconsistent" is the beauty of Turkish type cymbals. You can line up 10 cymbals of a model in a row and they will vary in pitch, how quickly they open up, feel, etc. There are too many variables.
    2002's and other B8 alloy cymbals don't go through the same process so there is more consistency.
    absolutely!
    While trying in real life is the best way to know what you're buying.. but even then the room your in, demo sticks, and if the cymbal had been stored too long all affect the sound..

    i like buying and selling online, but have only recently changed my mind about buying cymbals online, since decidedly only shopping for cymbals that have a demo video/recording . Even with inconsistency in different videos/recordings i feel confident in comparing and deciding on a cymbal that will meet my needs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •