Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Drumoholic

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    988

    Default 12 Inch Tom Tuning

    Alright all, I've got a problem for you fine folks to help me solve.

    I currently have 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, and 16x16 toms on my kit, and I just scored a 13x9 tom on Reverb for cheap, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to tune the drums to pitches that sound good together when I add the 13 inch tom in there.

    I generally tune my toms pretty low. Not "rumble-y" low, but nice and deep. I have been tuning my drums that way my entire drumming career of 14'ish years, and with this new tom being so close in size to the 12, it has me baffled. I can always take the 10 inch higher, and it will still sound pretty great, but my 12 inch tom is finicky for some reason. It seems to have a very narrow range that it still sounds "good" (to me, at least). I'm talking like a range of 2 or 3 whole steps in pitch. I just want to be able to add the 13 in there and not have the 12 and 13 sound almost identical in pitch.

    I should add that the 13 will most likely be to the left of my hihats (think the traditional place to put an aux snare) when all drums are being used on the kit.

    Those of you who have 12x9 Reference toms, how do you tune them normally? I've got an Evans coated G12 on top, and a coated G1 on bottom. Thanks!
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Have a read of this, works well

    http://drummersreview.com/gear-revie...to-tom-tuning/

    "To tune to a desired final pitch, my approach is to tune the resonant head 1/2 step lower – for instance, if the desired final pitch is a D, then I tune the resonant head to C#. Following that, I then batter head a minor 3rd lower than resonant, so if the reso is C#, the batter would be tuned to a A#.
    The ideal tuning range for each drum in isolation:
    8″ – F-F#
    10″ – C#-D
    12″ – A#-B
    13″ – F#-G
    14″ – E (maybe F if rack tom)
    15″ – D-D#
    16″ – C-C#
    18″ – A#-B"
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    phx-az since 1978. The best sunsets occur during the monsoon season June-Sept.
    Posts
    605

    Default

    I have clear ambassadors on the top and bottom on my 12x9 Ref tom. I tune both heads to the same pitch usually within a half turn. Sounds great!
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

    United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

  4. Drumoholic

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    Have a read of this, works well

    http://drummersreview.com/gear-revie...to-tom-tuning/

    "To tune to a desired final pitch, my approach is to tune the resonant head 1/2 step lower – for instance, if the desired final pitch is a D, then I tune the resonant head to C#. Following that, I then batter head a minor 3rd lower than resonant, so if the reso is C#, the batter would be tuned to a A#.
    The ideal tuning range for each drum in isolation:
    8″ – F-F#
    10″ – C#-D
    12″ – A#-B
    13″ – F#-G
    14″ – E (maybe F if rack tom)
    15″ – D-D#
    16″ – C-C#
    18″ – A#-B"
    I will check that out for sure!

    Quote Originally Posted by insane65 View Post
    I have clear ambassadors on the top and bottom on my 12x9 Ref tom. I tune both heads to the same pitch usually within a half turn. Sounds great!
    I might try that my next head change. Thanks!
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

  5. Purple Crazed

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    Those of you who have 12x9 Reference toms, how do you tune them normally? I've got an Evans coated G12 on top, and a coated G1 on bottom. Thanks!
    Although I will probably not get to it this week, I will try to let you next week.

    Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

  6. Drumoholic

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    Although I will probably not get to it this week, I will try to let you next week.
    No worries! I'm not recording anything or playing out anywhere at the present moment, so I'm in no hurry.
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •