Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. The Sensitone Guy

Default I quit drumming for a while

Life just got in the way. My new job as a salaried manager in a "high speed environment" pretty much killed everything. No time for gigging, practicing, jamming. I haven't touched a drum stick for months. I'm almost 56 and am miserable. It's all my fault, chasing the almighty dollar.

The plan: Sell our obscenely big house and move into our small vacation house. Retire. Live happily ever after. We're downsizing as we speak. The plan should be complete in another 4 to 10 months.

Drumming will always be a part of my life. Right now, however; it needs to take a back seat while I transition to the last phase of my life. With any luck, it should be the best. My wife of 30 years is 100% supportive.

The golden years are fast approaching.

2. Registered User

I stopped for 25 years (college, failed attempt at art career in NYC, trying to make money, relationship, marriage, kids, mortgage, etc, etc.). I met a guy at a bday party both our kids were attending. We started talking about bands we liked. He mentioned he made music. A few months later our kids are at his house playing and he asks if I want to head downstairs to jam for a bit. I was nervous because it had been so long since I played. Went great and we have been jamming and making music for a couple of years now. I've gotten right back into drumming. And I'm a much more patient and attentive drummer than I ever was in my teens/early 20s. It's been great!

3. Registered User

I've been on a break for a year now, since I went back to school with the goal of changing careers. I've played many kinds of music in many bands, and in all kinds of venues. Just needed a break while I concentrate something more important. I have moments where I'm inspired to practice a bit.

4. The Hardware Guy

I've been "on a break" for nearly 15 years - when I moved into my own place that isn't suitable for a kit, and not having regular access killed the ability to play regularly. But now and again I get to play.

As for your situation - retire, retire, retire. Do it, don't think about anything else, get it done. 100%. Can't stress it enough. My life for the past 5 years has been about getting my shiz in order to make my last 20 or so years of work (I'm 38 now, I want to be retired before 60 if I can) count every way it can towards the goal of retirement. Changed jobs (twice) to get one with a better pension, and if I can overpay into it for the next 20 years then I *should* hopefully retire earlier than the "normal" retirement age of 65, mortgage free, and with a comfortable pension wage. If I play my cards right over these next years, I might even be able to settle the place I'm in now, sell it and use the profit to buy a larger place, with an additional moorage, and clear that second mortgage before I retire. Tall order, but if it means I get a larger place, further away from people (for whom I have a general disdain anyway), and it means I can have my full kit set up, able to play night and day, then it's all been worth it.

So, to surmise - RETIRE!!!

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    I've been "on a break" for nearly 15 years - when I moved into my own place that isn't suitable for a kit, and not having regular access killed the ability to play regularly. But now and again I get to play.

As for your situation - retire, retire, retire. Do it, don't think about anything else, get it done. 100%. Can't stress it enough. My life for the past 5 years has been about getting my shiz in order to make my last 20 or so years of work (I'm 38 now, I want to be retired before 60 if I can) count every way it can towards the goal of retirement. Changed jobs (twice) to get one with a better pension, and if I can overpay into it for the next 20 years then I *should* hopefully retire earlier than the "normal" retirement age of 65, mortgage free, and with a comfortable pension wage. If I play my cards right over these next years, I might even be able to settle the place I'm in now, sell it and use the profit to buy a larger place, with an additional moorage, and clear that second mortgage before I retire. Tall order, but if it means I get a larger place, further away from people (for whom I have a general disdain anyway), and it means I can have my full kit set up, able to play night and day, then it's all been worth it.

So, to surmise - RETIRE!!!
    Easier said than done for some mate.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. The Sensitone Guy

House will likely be ready to list in a couple months. We're moving forward.

7. The Hardware Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Easier said than done for some mate.
    Absolutely, but in Andy's case, it looks like he's all set to retire, so I'm giving my encouragement

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

8. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Absolutely, but in Andy's case, it looks like he's all set to retire, so I'm giving my encouragement
    Thanks Bro. Mathematically, I can do it. The biggest challenge is getting rid of all the crap we've accumulated in 30 years of marriage. The only drum set I'm keeping is a Pearl MCX. Everything else is out.

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Glad to see this, Andy. Granted everyone cannot do what you are planning and itís fortunate you can. I think itís wise for your overall health.

I always said life is about time and how you spend it. 2/3 of your day is working and sleeping. If you donít like either of those, youíre going to have a miserable life unless those couple of free hours you have are utterly joyous.

Though I am incredibly grateful to what heís given me, I watched my father work a job for almost 40 years that he absolutely hated and he was miserable for it. Unfortunately, he was never around to see me enjoy them.

I decided to buy time instead of objects. Not only has it made me happier, it gave me the ability to be around my kids almost anytime I want. I try to remember that when I cannot give them the objects my dad did me.

I think you made the right choice as I now see how happy my dad can be due to his retirement.

10. Skeld-the -wicked

Andy, I am happy for you and your wife. I retired at 56 from Carpentry (34 years). I’m grateful to have a decent pension and at 62 I started early SS . I do have 2 part time delivery jobs to keep active so I don’t die on the couch.

It was difficult for me at first to adjust to not being productive. I went through bouts of depression and I thank god my wife stood at my side though it all. We just celebrated 25 years of Marriage last November. We were both married previously.

My only advice is live each day to its fullest and find things that bring happiness. I remember when I got sober 25 years ago a man said to me , you don’t have to do that anymore. One day at a time has worked ever since .

The Four Agreements- Don’t make assumptions, Don’t take anything personally, Be Impeccable with your word & Always do your best.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare + Red Wine Shell.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

11. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Glad to see this, Andy. Granted everyone cannot do what you are planning and itís fortunate you can. I think itís wise for your overall health.

I always said life is about time and how you spend it. 2/3 of your day is working and sleeping. If you donít like either of those, youíre going to have a miserable life unless those couple of free hours you have are utterly joyous.

Though I am incredibly grateful to what heís given me, I watched my father work a job for almost 40 years that he absolutely hated and he was miserable for it. Unfortunately, he was never around to see me enjoy them.

I decided to buy time instead of objects. Not only has it made me happier, it gave me the ability to be around my kids almost anytime I want. I try to remember that when I cannot give them the objects my dad did me.

I think you made the right choice as I now see how happy my dad can be due to his retirement.
    Agreed. Great advice. Time is more important to us than objects and money.

12. The Sensitone Guy

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Andy, I am happy for you and your wife. I retired at 56 from Carpentry (34 years). I’m grateful to have a decent pension and at 62 I started early SS . I do have 2 part time delivery jobs to keep active so I don’t die on the couch.

It was difficult for me at first to adjust to not being productive. I went through bouts of depression and I thank god my wife stood at my side though it all. We just celebrated 25 years of Marriage last November. We were both married previously.

My only advice is live each day to its fullest and find things that bring happiness. I remember when I got sober 25 years ago a man said to me , you don’t have to do that anymore. One day at a time has worked ever since .

The Four Agreements- Don’t make assumptions, Don’t take anything personally, Be Impeccable with your word & Always do your best.
    I plan on staying very productive. The small house we own has 65 wooded acres in a beautiful part of northern Michigan. The honey-do projects are endless. I also will get a humble part time job just to still be in the work force. Other than that, I will be drumming, fishing, hunting. That's the plan anyhow. First step is to downsize. Wife is on top of this.