Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I’m the parent of an autistic child. Would you kindly explain what autism has to do with that finish? I really don’t understand. I won’t argue with the possessed by the Devil part.
    Sorry man
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

2. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Sorry man
    It’s all good. I wish my kid could draw/paint like that. I know there are people on the spectrum with savant like qualities, but I assure you that is not the norm.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    I have to agree about the finishes available. I've said before, to each his own but just for me, I do not want stripes around my drums.
    I agree. I don't care for the new finishes.

Time has proven that fancy finishes come and go and don't have enduring appeal. They should have added some new sparkles or matte wood grain finishes.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

4. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    It’s all good. I wish my kid could draw/paint like that. I know there are people on the spectrum with savant like qualities, but I assure you that is not the norm.
    That was the parallel that I was trying to make, the genius meets the Devil

5. bangin since '95

Ok so I'm just going to be honest, I don't hate new finishes aside from the blue one with the awkward double stripe. WMP is a classic, the red burst with the stripe looks great, and the black with silver looks pretty good too. The Cain and Abel finish looks pretty cool, though I can't help but think that's something you'd see Rich Redmond or some other "Aggressive Country Rock" drummer (with a suit vest on and enough product in their hair to make them be wary of standing too close to an open flame) playing.

Now I'm pissed that they got rid of the sparkle finishes for that kit. But if I was buying a Pearl kit right now it would be the Maple Gum anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

6. Drumming Since 1943

“ Aggressive Country Rock" drummer (with a suit vest on and enough product in their hair to make them be wary of standing too close to an open flame) playing.“

You win a free Internet for this comment.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    Ok so I'm just going to be honest, I don't hate new finishes aside from the blue one with the awkward double stripe. WMP is a classic, the red burst with the stripe looks great, and the black with silver looks pretty good too. The Cain and Abel finish looks pretty cool, though I can't help but think that's something you'd see Rich Redmond or some other "Aggressive Country Rock" drummer (with a suit vest on and enough product in their hair to make them be wary of standing too close to an open flame) playing.

Now I'm pissed that they got rid of the sparkle finishes for that kit. But if I was buying a Pearl kit right now it would be the Maple Gum anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.
    I would rate them as the red and black being best, the blue is somewhat unique but probably not what I would buy and the Cain and Abel finish is something totally different and out there. I don't think it's bad, just unique and definitely a different look. Congrats to Pearl for being bold on a finish. The last thing we need is more generic finishes. If you don't like these finishes, wait a year and buy the 2021 finishes, or buy a model from last year likely on the used market.

8. Registered User

WTF with stripes???

9. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I would rate them as the red and black being best, the blue is somewhat unique but probably not what I would buy and the Cain and Abel finish is something totally different and out there. I don't think it's bad, just unique and definitely a different look. Congrats to Pearl for being bold on a finish. The last thing we need is more generic finishes. If you don't like these finishes, wait a year and buy the 2021 finishes, or buy a model from last year likely on the used market.
    Pearl should have stuck with the finishes that work, Natural Lacquer never goes out of style, walnut lacquer would have been killer, silver sparkle, champagne sparkle, maybe a purple to blue burst fade, and maybe one with an exotic finish ply like natural ash

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Pearl should have stuck with the finishes that work, Natural Lacquer never goes out of style, walnut lacquer would have been killer, silver sparkle, champagne sparkle, maybe a purple to blue burst fade, and maybe one with an exotic finish ply like natural ash
    The MMC has had sparkle finishes for the last number of years. It has had satin natural for the last 2 or 3. They had a natural to walnut burst for the last couple years. Its time to change some things up. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Wait a couple years and more finishes will come out. You could also look at the Sessions if you want natural or walnut burst finishes. There are also the MMR drums that come in natural, walnut, olive burst, etc. Your color options haven't been eliminated from Pearl's lineup, they just aren't in this series right now.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    The MMC has had sparkle finishes for the last number of years. It has had satin natural for the last 2 or 3. They had a natural to walnut burst for the last couple years. Its time to change some things up. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Wait a couple years and more finishes will come out. You could also look at the Sessions if you want natural or walnut burst finishes. There are also the MMR drums that come in natural, walnut, olive burst, etc. Your color options haven't been eliminated from Pearl's lineup, they just aren't in this series right now.
    This seems like the reasonable approach. It's not like most people are buying new pro level sets every year, so I understand the strategy to totally change them up every 2-3 years to hit the different markets. These aren't the kind of finishes that I prefer, but like you say, give it a couple years and they'll be different again.

12. Comrade Tim

Pearl's gonna do what they feel the market dictates they do....ultimately they're drums - you can always get pretty much any finish you want if you're willing to wait for it anyway. Personally it's all about the wood/structure for me...finish is always a consideration but they usually have something that will work for me in every line....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha