Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Cool Asba Stainless steel

I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. So now I'm the proud owner of a stainless steel Asba kit.

I picked it up earlier today, and had enough time to quickly tune and set up the 24", 14" and 18" with a 15" 50's Slingerland snare at my practice space, and get home before the handball match started (European championship, France vs. Norway - very important ). I also got a 13" tom, and a second 18" which is missing it's legs, and one of the brackets.

2. Chomp, Chomp

Interesting find. I’ve never played a SS kit, but have heard them on recordings and to my bad ears, they sound much like acrylic shells, which I find pleasing. I’m unfamiliar with the manufacturer. It looks like the rack tom has a die cast hoop and the floor has an angel hoop. Is that by design? I’d be interested in hearing them. The hardware looks very similar to vintage Slingerland and Gretsch.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Interesting find. I’ve never played a SS kit, but have heard them on recordings and to my bad ears, they sound much like acrylic shells, which I find pleasing. I’m unfamiliar with the manufacturer. It looks like the rack tom has a die cast hoop and the floor has an angel hoop. Is that by design? I’d be interested in hearing them. The hardware looks very similar to vintage Slingerland and Gretsch.
    I haven't played any acrylic kits, so I can't comment on that comparison. They sound like drums to me, with a lot of oomph, which is just what I needed. The toms are a bit on the dry side of things, but that could be due to the hoops just a much as the shell material.
    Asba is a French brad, which made some very cool drums back in the 60's and 70's. Their wooden drums were quite similar to Gretsch with thin, unsupported shells and die cast hoops. The story about the hoops on the floor tom is that they didn't have a mold for making 18" cast hoops, so in stead they made up these rolled no flange hoops with welded-on ears for the tension rods.

4. Registered User

I dig a set-up with big pies!

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    I dig a set-up with big pies!
    #metoo. I think that like big cymbals sit better in the mix of the band (at least with the sound we're going for), while giving me more sounds and dynamics to work with than smaller ones.

6. Get Down On It

Nice score! I bet that sounds great (and loud). Would love to hear some audio of it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982