Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I think it's a good thread topic... thanks for starting it.

Here is a photo of me from 2019. A non-drumming friend of mine was visiting, and asked to see my drums. I brought him into the room, and sat down at the kit to play for a bit. He was watching, and looking at all of the memorabilia I had on the walls. After perusing, he really fixated on my 1982 print of Neil Peart, an illustration by Gary Cage. This print was offered decades ago in Modern Drummer Magazine. He asked, "who is that in the picture?" I replied "that is Neil Peart, from Rush." He said, "Oh yeah, that's cool. You have your drums set up like his." I went on to explain that he is one of my greatest influences. I remember how proud I was to share my interest in Neil Peart and Rush; that was the origin of the smile in this photo.

Attachment 516285

He also got a kick out of the canvas with Neil on the lake, as many people do.

Attachment 516286

I'm really fortunate to have one of these original photos from the photography session at the lake, several decades ago.

I've been asked many times over the years if I ever met Neil. I would explain that Neil was not that kind of a guy, and didn't like "meet and greets" or meeting fans in general. In an interview he explained how he just admired his influences from a distance, and would never consider trying to meet them. I've always respected that, and understand that we all have to do what makes us comfortable, regardless of what other people think about it.

Anyway, I haven't felt compelled to post anything in the Neil Peart threads, until now. I just wanted to share my admiration for Neil, and how much happiness his drumming and lyric-writing have brought me.
    Neil’s influence is very obvious on your kit configuration. Your Kit is one of the nicest and most well thought out kits on the PDF.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

2. Pearl Corporation USA

I remember purchasing "All the World's a Stage" album in 1976 just based on the album cover figuring it had to be good. I didn't know anything about Rush, and I wore out that album and purchased the back catalog and never looked back. My first Rush live concert was at the San Francisco Cow Palace on their "permanent waves tour in 1980 and was blown away on how the three of them (Geddy, Alex and Neil) could reproduce their album sound in a live environment.

I feel fortunate I got to see them on their last two tours that passed through Nashville (Time Machine and Clockwork Angels). Neil in spite playing through pain and his age on a grueling tour schedule, still was at the top of his game. A great player and an even better human from everything I've heard and read (not knowing him personally). All loses are hard but for some reason, this one seems harder to process. RIP Neil.

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

3. Registered User

My last post here was in 2006. I'm back here to say rest in peace, Neil Peart. Amazing drummer and lyricist. I'm glad I got to see them during R40 in 2015.

4. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Luckily I took both my sons out to the last concert in Toronto. My older brother introduced me to RUSH with 2112 blaring in the basement. I was hooked for life. His playing, his lyrics and of course his fantastic looking setups. Glad i recently got to put this kit together. I never get tired of looking at it and thinking about him. He was a huge part of my musical life.

of all your drums , these are the ones i like the most

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Neil’s influence is very obvious on your kit configuration. Your Kit is one of the nicest and most well thought out kits on the PDF.
    Thanks Marv!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    of all your drums , these are the ones i like the most
    Thanks! That is because I only paid $600 for them. They aren't my favorite, but they hold a special place because of Neil Peart.

7. Masterworks / Sabian

Quote Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
    Thanks! That is because I only paid $600 for them. They aren't my favorite, but they hold a special place because of Neil Peart.
    I’ll give you 700 and come pick them up??

8. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    "The Temples of Syrinx" is the name of that part of 2112.
    Forgive me... wrote that post while unwinding after a gig with some wine and herb. Guess I’ll have to relearn that drum part as penance!

Continued thoughts... I think “Freewill” and “Cinderella Man” are my favourite NP drum parts.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Forgive me... wrote that post while unwinding after a gig with some wine and herb. Guess I’ll have to relearn that drum part as penance!

Continued thoughts... I think “Freewill” and “Cinderella Man” are my favourite NP drum parts.
    How about “John Sawyer”... that was a good one huh?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by drumming-4-life View Post
    how about “john sawyer”... That was a good one huh?
    “though his wine is not for rent... to any cod or government!”
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

11. Registered User

Thanks for the kudo's Matt!! You and your kit are looking great man!!

As Al kinda mentioned above..Neil's death is hitting harder than others. I agree, and I think the reason why(at least for me) is because he was such a kind human being, and respected life, and others. Adding, of course, to losing his daughter and wife before. I think if anyone deserved to live to a 'ripe-old-age' it would/should be The Professor. It's really a shame that he couldn't just retire and enjoy life. Just when you think things are going smoothly, life throws you a curve-ball.

I say all of that by never being a HUGE Rush fan. I am trying to make up for it, somewhat, and listening to all of their albums(at least once). I wanted to mention a track that I never heard before, and I actually like it very much. The Garden, the last song, on their last album, Clockwork Angels. What a beautiful song! I watched a Youtube video of them playing it live (in 2012), and I think it's rather amazing. I also put Alex Lifeson's solo 'up there' with say..David Gilmour's solo from Comfortably Numb. It seemed so perfect, and fitting for the song. If any of you haven't heard The Garden, I urge you to check it out!

Thanks for letting me ramble. Take care everyone!

K

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Thanks for the kudo's Matt!! You and your kit are looking great man!!

As Al kinda mentioned above..Neil's death is hitting harder than others. I agree, and I think the reason why(at least for me) is because he was such a kind human being, and respected life, and others. Adding, of course, to losing his daughter and wife before. I think if anyone deserved to live to a 'ripe-old-age' it would/should be The Professor. It's really a shame that he couldn't just retire and enjoy life. Just when you think things are going smoothly, life throws you a curve-ball.

I say all of that by never being a HUGE Rush fan. I am trying to make up for it, somewhat, and listening to all of their albums(at least once). I wanted to mention a track that I never heard before, and I actually like it very much. The Garden, the last song, on their last album, Clockwork Angels. What a beautiful song! I watched a Youtube video of them playing it live (in 2012), and I think it's rather amazing. I also put Alex Lifeson's solo 'up there' with say..David Gilmour's solo from Comfortably Numb. It seemed so perfect, and fitting for the song. If any of you haven't heard The Garden, I urge you to check it out!

Thanks for letting me ramble. Take care everyone!

K
    The Garden is the PERFECT song to end the final album of their career. I feel lucky to have been able to see it performed live. And yes, that solo is “up there” with the greats, CN I included.
    Way Too Much Crap