Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Neil Peart-The Inspiration

I know we are all saddened and shocked at the passing of The Professor(Neil Peart), and I think his RIP thread is good for acknowledging our sadness and remorse.

My thought with starting this thread is to share specific songs, albums, stories, etc..of anything that Neil did that touched our lives and influenced us as drummers and human beings. Hopefully, we can shed a little light on tracks, or writings that others didn't know about(or perhaps didn't pay much attention to) and can check them/it out and be influenced again.

A small example..I never really listened to the song Limelight much, but I know of it. I just watched a clip of Lawrence Gowan played about a minute and a half on piano and singing a bit of it. It was beautiful and touching. Now I feel I must go and listen to the original and..'get' it. That's perhaps a silly example but the thought it to shed some light on things that touched us, share it, and pass it on to others to hopefully pick up, and feel, as well.

I realize this thread could be somewhat overkill or over-dramatic and if so, please delete.

Take care, drumming brothers and sisters!

K

2. Registered User

The old adage "You don't know what you have until it's gone" applies to me in a big way regarding Neil and Rush. Rush was the soundtrack of my teenage years and they were a part, for better or worse, of every moment of significance during perhaps, the most important time in a person's life. The time when you really start forming an identity and are forced to confront your own shortcomings as a person. Through their collective musical efforts, I always felt somewhat understood and definitely inspired in so many areas of my life and growth as a human bejng. The song "Lessons" always had a special place in my heart and although it may be one of their poppier tunes, the humility in the message, always struck me and reminded me to approach life with a similar humility. I didnt expect this and hadn't really thought deeply about Rush in decades but this is hitting me so much harder than I could have imagined. Thank you Neil, Geddy and Alex and of course all of your families. What your music meant to me is apparently much more profound than I even realized and I am truly grateful and a better human being because of it. His passing also makes me appreciate everyone on here that much more.
    Last edited by j kuhl; 01-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

3. Miles Gibbons

Hearing “Bastille Day” as a kid was crystallizing for me... Rush was the start of my realization that music is vital and important to life.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

4. Registered User

Luckily I took both my sons out to the last concert in Toronto. My older brother introduced me to RUSH with 2112 blaring in the basement. I was hooked for life. His playing, his lyrics and of course his fantastic looking setups. Glad i recently got to put this kit together. I never get tired of looking at it and thinking about him. He was a huge part of my musical life.

5. Bad Girlfriend

RIP Neil. I've enjoyed your music most of my life and my favorite Rush album was 2112. I only heard about your passing yesterday and it happened Tuesday. The other 2 will have to find a new "new guy."
    PEARL DRUMS
    MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
    My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

6. The Sensitone Guy

So sorry to hear the news. Not only was he a monster on the drums, but also a very nice guy as well.

7. NO KIT TOO BIG

Brought the DW R40 snare out again (along with some treasures) in tribute to the professor. Still hasn’t sunk in. I had the privilege of seeing Rush twice, on their Time Machine Tour in Newcastle, and their Clockwork Angels tour in Sheffield. Those evenings will stay with me for the rest of my days, and I feel like I owe a huge debt to Neil, Alex and Geddy for the many years of inspiration, great music and the feeling of being normal. That sentiment in Subdivisions, is exactly how I spent my school days. And I completely relate to Limelight and the quote of Neils 'I don't want to be famous, I want to be good'. Godspeed Professor, thanks for the music, the books and the memories.

Name:  8520BC82-272E-468D-A927-8B425E115C34.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  77.2 KB
    Name:  B753FBA2-D424-4A98-8C70-6BF80B0B7B41.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  94.1 KB
    Name:  6AD6A2C3-CA00-45BC-9B1D-4E06034815A7.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  49E0C9DB-F3D8-4F79-A69F-956E2BEF5E5F.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  39.2 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

8. Registered User

Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Signals -The Records were worn out , Then Cassettes , Then CD's as I grew along, A song Neil did not right or play "take a friend"

Take yourself a friend
    Keep 'em till the end
    Whether woman or man
    It makes you feel so good
    So good
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
    Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Signals -The Records were worn out , Then Cassettes , Then CD's as I grew along, A song Neil did not right or play "take a friend"

Take yourself a friend
    Keep 'em till the end
    Whether woman or man
    It makes you feel so good
    So good
    Can’t do anything before 2112.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I was inspired how he built on or slightly changed his part each pass through.

11. Registered User

Not that I know much, but knowing that Neil obviously wrote the band's lyrics, and that he always put so much thought into his drum parts..I really don't think you can label any Rush tunes(with Neil), as 'fillers.' Subjectively, there are Rush songs that we all really like, kinda like, and don't care for. That being said, I don't think you can say that Rush was a band that phoned anything in. Of course, they could've continued to record and/or tour but knowing they wanted to make sure everything was up to their standards, they didn't. Talk about integrity!
    Anyway, I kinda hope that Geddy and Alex record(maybe tour) with another drummer, but of course, not call it Rush. We all know they wouldn't continue with the 'Rush' name, out of respect for Neil, and the fans(and I wouldn't expect them to play Rush tunes, either). But, who knows..conceivably, they could play with another drummer and call it..'The Three Amigos(or whatever), and play more music. I wouldn't expect it, though.
    I'm still in shock that Neil is gone. And the fact that no one knew of his condition, typical Neil Peart. He wouldn't have it any other way. He did it all his way.

Stay well, stay positive my drumming brothers and sisters.

12. Miles Gibbons

One of the things that blows me away about Rush, is that the same dudes who wrote “The Fountain of Lamneth” also wrote “Mystic Rhythms” and “Driven.” I love them all, full disclosure.

So much evolution and adaptation; they never stood still (no pun intended) creatively. “Analog Kid” is so great. They could write 20 minute long fantasy epics, but could also write great pop tunes.

When I was in high school, I played “Overture” and “Priests of Syrinx” with some friends at the talent show one year... only one rehearsal! One of the best nights of my life.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"