Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    One of the things that blows me away about Rush, is that the same dudes who wrote “The Fountain of Lamneth” also wrote “Mystic Rhythms” and “Driven.” I love them all, full disclosure.

So much evolution and adaptation; they never stood still (no pun intended) creatively. “Analog Kid” is so great. They could write 20 minute long fantasy epics, but could also write great pop tunes.

When I was in high school, I played “Overture” and “Priests of Syrinx” with some friends at the talent show one year... only one rehearsal! One of the best nights of my life.
    "The Temples of Syrinx" is the name of that part of 2112.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. Drumming Since 1943

They ARE the Priests though! Lol
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I know we are all saddened and shocked at the passing of The Professor(Neil Peart), and I think his RIP thread is good for acknowledging our sadness and remorse.

My thought with starting this thread is to share specific songs, albums, stories, etc..of anything that Neil did that touched our lives and influenced us as drummers and human beings. Hopefully, we can shed a little light on tracks, or writings that others didn't know about(or perhaps didn't pay much attention to) and can check them/it out and be influenced again.

A small example..I never really listened to the song Limelight much, but I know of it. I just watched a clip of Lawrence Gowan played about a minute and a half on piano and singing a bit of it. It was beautiful and touching. Now I feel I must go and listen to the original and..'get' it. That's perhaps a silly example but the thought it to shed some light on things that touched us, share it, and pass it on to others to hopefully pick up, and feel, as well.

I realize this thread could be somewhat overkill or over-dramatic and if so, please delete.

Take care, drumming brothers and sisters!

K
    I think it's a good thread topic... thanks for starting it.

Here is a photo of me from 2019. A non-drumming friend of mine was visiting, and asked to see my drums. I brought him into the room, and sat down at the kit to play for a bit. He was watching, and looking at all of the memorabilia I had on the walls. After perusing, he really fixated on my 1982 print of Neil Peart, an illustration by Gary Cage. This print was offered decades ago in Modern Drummer Magazine. He asked, "who is that in the picture?" I replied "that is Neil Peart, from Rush." He said, "Oh yeah, that's cool. You have your drums set up like his." I went on to explain that he is one of my greatest influences. I remember how proud I was to share my interest in Neil Peart and Rush; that was the origin of the smile in this photo.

Name:  Matt Behind Kit small.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  121.5 KB

He also got a kick out of the canvas with Neil on the lake, as many people do.

Name:  peartlake.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  108.6 KB

I'm really fortunate to have one of these original photos from the photography session at the lake, several decades ago.

I've been asked many times over the years if I ever met Neil. I would explain that Neil was not that kind of a guy, and didn't like "meet and greets" or meeting fans in general. In an interview he explained how he just admired his influences from a distance, and would never consider trying to meet them. I've always respected that, and understand that we all have to do what makes us comfortable, regardless of what other people think about it.

Anyway, I haven't felt compelled to post anything in the Neil Peart threads, until now. I just wanted to share my admiration for Neil, and how much happiness his drumming and lyric-writing have brought me.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Drumming Since 1943

The striking thing about that photo Matt is how much weight you’ve lost.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    The striking thing about that photo Matt is how much weight you’ve lost.
    It's been years since I've lost the weight. It's a real struggle, watching other people eating whatever they want, while I snack on apples, carrots, egg whites, etc. But the taste of the "great food" (almost) everyone orders out is nowhere near as satisfying as being a reasonable weight. At my height and weight, I'm still bordering "overweight", according to the charts. I'm 5'6", 155-160 lbs. My DNA test predicted I weight between 172 and 180 (overweight), so obesity is built into my DNA... no other alternative but to fight it.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Masterworks / Sabian

That is absolutely gorgeous. I always loved his Red Tama’s. First tour I saw he was playing on them.

7. Masterworks / Sabian

Looking great all around Matt

8. Registered User

Hi,

I was never a big fan of RUSH music, but I was really influenced by Neil Peart's instructional video "A Work In Progress" where I learned to take a more philosophical and composition approach to my drumming.

Having passed away so young (without much time to enjoy his wealth in retirement), it's good to know that he always loved his work.

MM
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    It's been years since I've lost the weight. It's a real struggle, watching other people eating whatever they want, while I snack on apples, carrots, egg whites, etc. But the taste of the "great food" (almost) everyone orders out is nowhere near as satisfying as being a reasonable weight. At my height and weight, I'm still bordering "overweight", according to the charts. I'm 5'6", 155-160 lbs. My DNA test predicted I weight between 172 and 180 (overweight), so obesity is built into my DNA... no other alternative but to fight it.
    Matt,

The BMI charts are controversial anyway. I'm 5'9" and weigh 170 lbs and I'm technically "overweight." I'm supposed to weigh 160lbs. I would need a few weeks of starving on "Naked And Afraid" to have any chance at getting that low.

MM

10. Drumming Since 1943

Hate to derail the thread further, but BMI is crap. Total crap.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    Looking great all around Matt
    Thanks D&F!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Matt,

The BMI charts are controversial anyway. I'm 5'9" and weigh 170 lbs and I'm technically "overweight." I'm supposed to weigh 160lbs. I would need a few weeks of starving on "Naked And Afraid" to have any chance at getting that low.

MM
    Your BMI is approximately 25, which is good, not overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Hate to derail the thread further, but BMI is crap. Total crap.
    Use any measurement you like, overweight is overweight. One knows when they weigh more than they should (or they are in denial).

Back to anecdotes about Neil Peart... please.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Your BMI is approximately 25, which is good, not overweight.
    Unfortunately, my medical insurance provider wants "24" or less. Thus, I always have to watch a bunch of weight loss videos (and take quizzes) after my yearly physical to still qualify the lowest rate.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 01-12-2020 at 10:47 AM.