Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: RIP Neil Peart

1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Marty, I know you’re a good guy but your meandering post is... curious. Almost a “sorry/not sorry”-type thing.
    Much like describing my post as
    " meandering " is.

2. Registered User

That U.S. Army Time Stands Still tribute brought me to tears, weeks after NP's passing. I'm torn because I strongly believe that Western society's celebrity worship has gotten out of hand. The tragic passing of a star basketball player results in grandiose tributes that are still ongoing. Most Americans can't tell you the names of the two soldiers who came back from Afghanistan in flagged-wrapped caskets the other day through Dover or the most recent law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty. Those people paid the ultimate sacrifice in a profession they entered of their own free will, knowing that they might have to lay down their lives for the greater good of society. Society, however, is drawn to worship sports figures, movie stars, and others whose primary contribution to society is providing us with entertainment. Every day, people who taught our children, treated our sick, or volunteered countless hours to help the needy die in relative obscurity. Our priorities are so out of whack. I honestly feel a bit hypocritical being so affected by Neil Peart's passing. He was such an inspiration to me, and yes, he provided us with such enjoyment over the years through his extraordinary drumming, creative musical compositions and lyrics, and thoughtful writing.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    . Society, however, is drawn to worship sports figures, movie stars, and others whose primary contribution to society is providing us with entertainment. Every day, people who taught our children, treated our sick, or volunteered countless hours to help the needy die in relative obscurity. Our priorities are so out of whack.
    agree .. society as a whole is obsessed with other peoples lives .. to be honest when a celeb, sports figure, etc etc dies I don't really care. Why? Because I don't know them and they aren't apart of my life. Sure it sucks that someone died but it doesn't affect my life. Society doesn't care that my best friend killed himself or a lot of my relatives have died due to health issues. Only I care because they were a part of my life and meant something to me, something called "love". Neil dying was just that .. he died from brain cancer .. I don't know him but I enjoyed his drumming just like any other joe shmoe .. but his death doesn't affect me where I'm an emotional wreck like some fans who can't cope with their idol dead. Just like Kobe .. I don't care for basketball but I knew who he was just by word of mouth and tv .. does his death affect me? nope .. but countless fans have other priorities in their lives to keep paying tribute to a person they don't even know .. maybe I;m starting to ramble but society as a whole can go fu$% themselves.

4. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Again, I mean no disrespect. I'm
    Just asking ... Will Neil Peart truly rest in piece with 50 more years of undying love from strangers that he truly would feel uncomfortable with?
    Yes, he will rest in peace. We can celebrate his life and his music without bothering him, because he is dead. You can't bother a dead person. I'm not trying to be funny... we celebrate artists and musicians after they die because of what they do in their life. It's a good thing to do.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Yes, he will rest in peace. We can celebrate his life and his music without bothering him, because he is dead. You can't bother a dead person. I'm not trying to be funny... we celebrate artists and musicians after they die because of what they do in their life. It's a good thing to do.
    +1

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Agreed. I always like the old " George Washington " or who ever " would be rolling in their grave!"

And I'm like " then you buried them to soon!"

I love rush and Peart. Maybe that's why it irks me but yet it don't .

Cheers to all.

7. old dog, new tricks

I've never understood people getting upset over the death of a celebrity or whatever. Sure, they may have had a huge impact on your life but why not celebrate that instead of morn the poor guy who was obviously ill for several years. His body of work is still here for you to enjoy and always will be.

It's not a loss, it's a gain to have had the guy for so long.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

8. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    I've never understood people getting upset over the death of a celebrity or whatever. Sure, they may have had a huge impact on your life but why not celebrate that instead of morn the poor guy who was obviously ill for several years. His body of work is still here for you to enjoy and always will be.

It's not a loss, it's a gain to have had the guy for so long.
    I agree here. Unless hes a true friend, you still have the same thing from him as you do before he died, his music, especially since he retired.

9. Enjoy Every Sandwich

So, the boys from Primus will be playing a Rush tribute tour this summer. While I'm sure they'll do a respectable job, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Just figured I'd post the link for anyone interested. (Somewhat lengthy read; dates and cities are listed at the end)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...BH80PGM9Tiz1Vo

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    So, the boys from Primus will be playing a Rush tribute tour this summer. While I'm sure they'll do a respectable job, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Just figured I'd post the link for anyone interested. (Somewhat lengthy read; dates and cities are listed at the end)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...BH80PGM9Tiz1Vo
    Les and the boys are HUGE Rush fans and opened for them on the RtB tour. But I’m not sure how Rush fans will react to funhouse versions of some sacred tunes. We shall see I guess.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Les and the boys are HUGE Rush fans and opened for them on the RtB tour. But I’m not sure how Rush fans will react to funhouse versions of some sacred tunes. We shall see I guess.
    Heard the announcement on K-SHE'95.

I think it will be more for Primus fans than Rush fans. But mostly for Primus themselves.