Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Neil Peart

1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    He will be missed. He was a North Star to many. He elevated the art of drumming and rock morality. His intelligent lyrics provided inspiration, comfort, and guidance to generations. Neil's influence has positively changed my life and I am thankful to have lived during his lifetime.
    Well said.

2. a.k.a. YtseJam

Recorded a little something today. It's not perfect and I messed up one of the breaks, but anyway - just wanted to pay tribute.

https://www.facebook.com/victor.alek...8644331165060/

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

Brought the DW R40 snare out again (along with some treasures) in tribute to the professor. Still hasn’t sunk in.
    Name:  8520BC82-272E-468D-A927-8B425E115C34.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  77.2 KB
    Name:  B753FBA2-D424-4A98-8C70-6BF80B0B7B41.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  94.1 KB
    Name:  6AD6A2C3-CA00-45BC-9B1D-4E06034815A7.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  102.1 KB
    Name:  49E0C9DB-F3D8-4F79-A69F-956E2BEF5E5F.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  39.2 KB
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. Drumming Since 1943

I’ll be wearing my Signals t today, that’s for sure.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. life start at 125bpm

i'm in total shock.....the boys got his illness so well hidden....
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

6. The Hardware Guy

I've never been what you'd class as a Rush fan - I like some of their stuff, but we're talking a handful of tracks at most. However, I dod remember in 1994 hearing 'Spirit of Radio' for the first time (on a Kerrang! compilation album) and playing it over and over. Still love that song today - it's one of those songs you just never tire or get bored of, never skip when it comes on random-play, and actually listen to when it comes on the radio. Around that same time I started playing drums, and a friend brought a copy of 'Exit... Stage Left' to a drum lesson one evening and put the solo in the middle of 'YYZ' on at the end of the lesson - blown away. I actually stole a small part of it for the first ever live solo I ever did (the snare part where he throws in a few hi hat hits). So even though Neil was never a direct inspiration or influence on my own playing, there's no denying his gargantuan ability, technical proficiency and status within the drum world as one of the ALL TIME greats. I had (have) so much respect and admiration for him as a drummer, as well as a lyricist and musician.

I'll leave you with this video that I remember did the rounds on the PDF way back in the day. It wasn't the first time I'd heard 'YYZ' (see above re 'Exit... Stage Left') but I think it was the first time I'd really listened to it, and I fell in love with it as I had 'Spirit of Radio some years before.

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    ďAfter silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.Ē
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

7. Registered User

Man, what a loss...what a drummer. Now THAT was some drum set he owned. RIP and may your drumming in Heaven stir up some real thunder and lightning!
    TR

8. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Iíll be wearing my Signals t today, thatís for sure.
    Right there with ya'. I will just choose to celebrate his life, rather than mourn his passing...

(and make no comments about my Moobies)

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  40.9 KB

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Right there with ya'. I will just choose to celebrate his life, rather than mourn his passing...

(and make no comments about my Moobies)

Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  40.9 KB
    I love that shirt!
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Not that you know these people, but I just wrote this to my friends when I found this book not 2 months ago.

Name:  B3F360C7-2DB8-4BD0-8DC1-BEF3E122BA20.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  86.7 KB

Killing time in this book store and I saw this book. It appears to have the set list and other details of every show they ever played. I looked to see if my memory could be jarred and I took a picture of the shows I went to.

Rush was one of those bands I would never have gotten to appreciate if it weren’t for the other drummers at my high school. Eventually, it became a social activity that went with me seeing them, especially the amount of times I did. That was the real reason they connect with me.

Hold Your Fire - I remember this being the tour Erik and Josh bought the tickets, section R, first level, stage right. There were I think 8 of us and I was in a car with Mike, Ross, and someone else that I cannot remember. I do remember the drummers fighting over the binoculars someone brought during Neil’s solo and that Ross snuck in a mini tape recorder and recorded the show. We listened to it on the way home to Marlton.

Presto - I have no idea who went with me, but I was on the floor, all the way in the back, and there were rabbits with top hats on each side of the stage. I remember Geddy stating in a subdued manner that he was sick, but they were still going to play a normal length show.

Test for Echo - By now I was living in Atlanta and didn’t listen to Rush at all. I know many hate me saying it, but since I stopped hanging with my friends from my hometown regularly, I had no interest in listening to them. This makes me feel bad saying it, but not only did my cousin Lori pay for me to fly up to Philadelphia to see them with her, she got us amazing seats. I want to say they were third row from the stage, right in front of Alex.

She had a boyfriend at the time, but she wanted to go with someone who appreciated the band as much as she did. It was a great time hanging with her more than anything. The things I remember most were Alex pretending to hug & kiss the life size Marilyn Monroe cardboard cutout he had on stage and Neil playing traditional grip while “technically trying to feel” the music.

Neil was blown away by all of the other famous drummers who performed on the Buddy Rich tribute album he produced that he asked a couple of them who they studied with. His performance was easily the worst one on the record due to how incredibly stiff he was. The teacher was Freddie Gruber and he tried to have Neil play with traditional grip and behind the beat. When he applied it, all it did was drag Rush down.

R30 - Once again I went with Mike & Lori and Stephan went with us as well. We had the last row just before the lawn seating started. It was a drummers reunion and I remember seeing Wellz, Mike’s brother Andrew, and Wes there.

Neil was smart here and played like Neil, the reason he’s the legend he is, instead of Neil trying to be something he isn’t. The band sounded so much better for it.

Anyway, Rush seems to be a band people love or hate. For me they were simply a band that brought friends together and I appreciate them for that.

11. Registered User

Don't really know what to say , shocked , sad.....

12. life start at 125bpm

listened to each and every rush album...from fly by night to clockwork angel...the whole day.

went to LE STUDIO in moring heights to meet some friends,as suspected,there was a gathering...many rush fans were there,like in a telepatic rendez vous,we all knew why we all headed therem; for each of us there was no question about NOT being there.we had to.

then,i headed north to stop by neil's mansion which is situated between morin heights and st adolphe d'howard. since nobody knows where his secret cabin is-was,there was nobody there except me and a strange vibe.

the professor is dead.a great part of my life has gone by with his passing. how many hundreds of hours i've reflected on his playing,his words-lyrics......like an idiot,the ultimate question i'm asking myself is : how he choose to go.alone,with his close relatives,or surrounded by the boyz,his wife and olivia. i'm wondering because,i know neil was in possession of his destiny,he had to do things his own way,till the very end,probably.

His representative, Elliot Mintz, said in a statement Friday that Peart died at his home Tuesday in Santa Monica.
    Last edited by rollracer; 01-12-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes