Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Neil Peart

1. life start at 125bpm

RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    Great video rollracer! His passion while drumming to this beautiful song is wonderful! Of all the concerts I've been to in my life, there was never such a thrill to attend a Rush Concert! The energy is unforgettable! RIP NP you will surely be missed!

3. a.k.a. YtseJam

Uploaded my little tribute on Youtube as it's easier to embed, FB sucks for this kind of stuff.

4. Natural Finish Army

listened to each and every rush album...from fly by night to clockwork angel...the whole day.

went to LE STUDIO in moring heights to meet some friends,as suspected,there was a gathering...many rush fans were there,like in a telepatic rendez vous,we all knew why we all headed therem; for each of us there was no question about NOT being there.we had to.

then,i headed north to stop by neil's mansion which is situated between morin heights and st adolphe d'howard. since nobody knows where his secret cabin is-was,there was nobody there except me and a strange vibe.

the professor is dead.a great part of my life has gone by with his passing. how many hundreds of hours i've reflected on his playing,his words-lyrics......like an idiot,the ultimate question i'm asking myself is : how he choose to go.alone,with his close relatives,or surrounded by the boyz,his wife and olivia. i'm wondering because,i know neil was in possession of his destiny,he had to do things his own way,till the very end,probably.
    Nelson, wish I could have been there with you...........................................

I've been struggling with how the universe has been turning the past few years. THIS just makes me bitter, it makes NO SENSE AT ALL .

5. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by phips View Post
    Nelson, wish I could have been there with you...........................................

I've been struggling with how the universe has been turning the past few years. THIS just makes me bitter, it makes NO SENSE AT ALL
    seems like we're both travelling the same path bro. my deeper thoughts your way man.

what gets me with Neil's departure is that , this guy worked like a chained dog for 45 years, giving it ALL for the fans , and when he decide to retire to raise his little daughter,this sh** strikes him in the face......being rich can't do anything when such terminal illness strikes. looking at it, being famous and labeled '''by the world'''' as the ''greatest rock drummer of all times''''' did nothing to compound the life he got,filled with dramas over dramas ; selena,jackie......then,the light was showing its noze with Olivia and Carrie.....only to get knocked off the game with THIS!!! what a bitter s*** to swallow.

of course,we will never knows if he retired because he learned what was waiting,or it was because the reasons given aka issues with joints pain and tendinis.........i suspect the reasons were the discover of his terminal illness. then,for him it's been a race to live the last moments to the fullest !!!even more dramatic if you ask me.

fu*****n life!!
    Last edited by rollracer; 01-13-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

6. Drumming Since 1943

A lovely article that sums up the man and his work very well:

https://theweek.com/articles/888980/...ster-craftsman
    Way Too Much Crap

7. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    So well put. It hit me hard for sure. One of the best.

There was definitely some synchronicity at play, I'm not superstitious or anything but something compelled me to pull out the R40 snare and play it for the first time in 18 months yesterday morning, only for the news to break last night. Taken far too soon. My heart goes out to his family, Geddy, Alex, Lorne 'Gump' Wheaton (his tech of 20 years), His riding companions Michael & Brutus, Ray Daniels and the extended Rush family and Neils close friends. He was a private guy and would be pretty embarrassed by all the fuss. But he kept to his morals and did right to keep quiet about the cancer, not making a song and dance, and let those most important learn of his untimely death first. RIP Bubba.
    Yeah, I think my girlfriend refers to this as "the thing". I think it was Tuesday last week that I decided to google Neil because I hadn't heard anything new come out from him in a while, I figured he'd have some new book, or an extrapolation on Clockwork Angels, or something newsworthy. It was weird that I was thinking of him after really having no interest in anything Rush related in a minute, basically since Geddy's book tour kicked off. The world lost a great one, and my heart has been in my throat for the past few days. I'm just happy he went out with the level of respect he really deserved, and went out on top.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

8. Masterworks / Sabian

seems like we're both travelling the same path bro. my deeper thoughts your way man.

what gets me with Neil's departure is that , this guy worked like a chained dog for 45 years, giving it ALL for the fans , and when he decide to retire to raise his little daughter,this sh** strikes him in the face......being rich can't do anything when such terminal illness strikes. looking at it, being famous and labeled '''by the world'''' as the ''greatest rock drummer of all times''''' did nothing to compound the life he got,filled with dramas over dramas ; selena,jackie......then,the light was showing its noze with Olivia and Carrie.....only to get knocked off the game with THIS!!! what a bitter s*** to swallow.

of course,we will never knows if he retired because he learned what was waiting,or it was because the reasons given aka issues with joints pain and tendinis.........i suspect the reasons were the discover of his terminal illness. then,for him it's been a race to live the last moments to the fullest !!!even more dramatic if you ask me.

fu*****n life!!
    From an inner source written directly to me today. "but some of us knew shortly after the last tour." I would think maybe Neil knew, then shared it with his close people after the tour??? IDK.

It's probably a mystery better left unsolved.

9. Gash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    He will be missed. He was a North Star to many. He elevated the art of drumming and rock morality. His intelligent lyrics provided inspiration, comfort, and guidance to generations. Neil's influence has positively changed my life and I am thankful to have lived during his lifetime.
    Nicely put.
    up yours

Pearl MMX Emerald Mist - 20/12/15 - MMX 5.5x14 snare - Sensitone Power Piccolo brass snare 5.5x13 - Bosphorus cymbals - Tama hardware

10. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    From an inner source written directly to me today. "but some of us knew shortly after the last tour." I would think maybe Neil knew, then shared it with his close people after the tour??? IDK.

It's probably a mystery better left unsolved.

thanks for the cue.

reflecting about the last 4 years; his retirement poping off at a time when in fact rush were still the only band able to fill large venues, takes a different sens now.

he already wanted to retire in 2000 , even after he closed the loop of the ''healing process''' he walked into after the death of Jackie and Selena.

he went back at it , after a whole lot of reflexion , and Carrie's push on him to get back ''''to work'''' ,and also for the intact respect he always had for the '''boyz'''''.

to me,sure at one point he would have retired '''temporarely'''' ,but probably only for short periods (a year or so) ,so Alex and Geddy gets time to work on new music.

when i've heard that he wasn't playing anymore,and that he even hadn't a set at the ready to practice a little at home or
    at the los angeles rehearsal studio ,i felt something was abnormal. also,his personal website(neil peart.net) hadn't been updated since may 2016 which was not usual with Neil.

that was it.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

11. Drum sales/service

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't feel like any other celebrity death. I've seen such a huge outpouring of comments, social media posts, thoughts, stories and memories EVERYWHERE - from not only musicians, but people from all walks of life. It's a testament to how loved, revered and respected he was around the world. Here's a great quote I gleaned from another site:

Sometimes when someone famous dies, people ask, "Why are you upset? You've never met them, you don't know them."
    It's not that we knew them; It's that they helped us know ourselves.
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Pearl EXX Electric Blue Sparkle

12. The Sensitone Guy

Very sad news. NP was a class act. A great drummer and a great person. He will be missed.