Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Neil Peart

1. Registered User

As I mentioned on another forum, I have never been a huge RUSH fan but tonight I had to play Tom Sawyer as a tribute to Neil. Never played it before but heard it on the radio every hour on the hour growing up. Rest in Peace, Neil.

2. Comrade Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    As I mentioned on another forum, I have never been a huge RUSH fan but tonight I had to play Tom Sawyer as a tribute to Neil. Never played it before but heard it on the radio every hour on the hour growing up. Rest in Peace, Neil.
    Never a huge Rush fan here either - but Neil's playing wasn't just next level, he defined the levels for generations of drummers. I have three Rush tunes on my warm up list (Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Analog Kid) and will keep them there. Sad day for the drumming community and music world as a whole. RIP Professor.....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

3. Drumming Since 1943

Huge Rush fan. But oddly haven’t listened to them in quite a while... until today. Before I heard the news. Driving home from helping my ailing mother in law, Middletown Dreams, Vital Signs and most emotionally, Time Stand Still randomly popped up on my playlist.

The universe was telling me something.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. The Moondogs

Hate to see the great ones go. Buddy is a RUSH fanatic and we traded a few texts. Broke out some tunes and listened to a few I haven't spun in awhile - Natural Science, Lakeside Park, Something For Nothing, etc,,,.

RIP Neil. You are a legend.

Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    You just made me cry.

As sad as this is, we are ALL better for having known this mans work- his music, his lyrics, his writing, his drumming, his very outlook on life. The only thing makes this ok is that his was a life WELL-LIVED. A life of excellence. Canít ask for much more than that.

We lost a good one.
    JY Kelly, so very well said! RIP NP!

6. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    The drumming world lost a giant.
    Before seeing your post I thought "a giant oak has fallen."

Much to my loss I was ignorant of Neil and Rush until the latter half of their music, certainly a lifetime of art to continue to learn from and be inspired by.

Great respect and thanks to you, Mr Peart.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

7. th droids yerlookn4

this hurts
    before , bonham,..before lars, before , rick allen, before vinnie , before even buddy, i can remember hearing this amazing band on the radio....that kind of stop in your tracks moment , where you perk your ears up and shout " what was that? . it was rush ..i was 6 0r 7 . song was "closer to the heart"

i was amazed... these guys were so different, soon i would learn this drummers name ...aside from ringo star ...there is no human being , with a deeper influence on my musical life .. to say im going to miss him is an understatement . as i learn ed about mister peart .. i learn many things we as people shared ...i learned by nature he was a shy man. which , i am ... i find public events or event in the spot light uncomfortable, and rarely seek it . which is ironic, that myself and mr peart both chose the loudest most bombastic instrument on the [email protected] planet ..lol we was a writer ....i am an artist. which at times has incredible similarities ....as i just try to literally sketch out, and paint you a picture of the world ..the writer tries to do this with his words .. which led me to attempt writing ... which it turns out, im actually not terrible at either thanks neil
    i also learned myself and mister peart were virgos
    mister peart , born on the 12th of September , myself...the 8th of September.
    virgo is an odd sign ...as a virgo we feel mis understood at times and unintentionally stand out in a group ....oddly enough, because we dont . so to hear one my musical masters was in the same little circle, was a thrill to myself ( birds of a feather, y 'know )
    he also seemed to share my odd sense of humor in his personal life ....showing up on tv shows like adult swim (he appeared in the aqua teens hunger force tv show ) and there was that tailor park boys connection .... lol there was also, the hilarious south park cartoon episode they would play as the opening to tom sawyer.. in there live shows
    i am really gonna miss neil..
    being that i myself am a private individual, i understand , mr peart's need for discretion at a time like this ....with a little virgo insight ,i can tell you ,this was not the end he wanted ...what neil was more than likely , going to do, at first, was kick cancers *** ..and subtly mention he beat........ it years from now , without anyone , knowing or fretting , because ,if theres anything we hate more than an overload of ", sympathy and "well wishers".... its fake "sympathy and well wishers"(we could never pretend that strangers were long awaited friends) this way he could focus on the work at hand ...getting better.. ..i dont think for a minute that he EVER intended on fading away quietly
    i believe this was a quiet battle ..
    that he sadly lost

my mind is wandering ...i hope some or this makes some cohesive sense in the morning ..as i am currently crying , (justly so) to the "normal" human , this is my john lennon .... this is my elvis
    for me ,,, one the better parts of this world .... has left us

the only thing i can do , is to think of the little candles of inspiration, neil lit in my young life ,keep the light going, and use the wisdom they illuminated and do "art" ...whatever that art is for you .. i believe this will honor his memory and in doing so ...

a part of him will alway be here with us ..

farewell professor

david.

8. Miles Gibbons

Gone before his time, doubtlessly... but few people leave the kind of legacy Neil leaves. Few people impact as many souls as he did. Few can say they were as revolutionary and crucial within an art form. He will be sorely missed, but impossible to forget!
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

9. Registered User

I found out via numerous bands' Facebook posts and thought, 'This can't be.' Equally crazy to the fact that his condition had been (successfully) kept from the media, he passed three days prior to his death actually being reported. Just another case of Neil being Neil!

On a personal level, I can remember when I was still taking lessons, my then drum instructor mentioned, since I liked to add more complicated and frequent fills to my playing, that I would probably enjoy Rush. After hearing another student play "Free Will", I picked up their greatest hits album, "The Spirit of Radio", and off I went into a new musical avenue. After hearing that the band was hanging things up after the R40 tour, I was grateful to have seen them twice (Time Machine and R40 tours) - even more so now with Neil's passing. We have lost an amazing and inspirational musician and human.

10. NO KIT TOO BIG

You just made me cry.

As sad as this is, we are ALL better for having known this mans work- his music, his lyrics, his writing, his drumming, his very outlook on life. The only thing makes this ok is that his was a life WELL-LIVED. A life of excellence. Can’t ask for much more than that.

We lost a good one.
    So well put. It hit me hard for sure. One of the best.

Huge Rush fan. But oddly haven’t listened to them in quite a while... until today. Before I heard the news. Driving home from helping my ailing mother in law, Middletown Dreams, Vital Signs and most emotionally, Time Stand Still randomly popped up on my playlist.

The universe was telling me something.
    There was definitely some synchronicity at play, I'm not superstitious or anything but something compelled me to pull out the R40 snare and play it for the first time in 18 months yesterday morning, only for the news to break last night. Taken far too soon. My heart goes out to his family, Geddy, Alex, Lorne 'Gump' Wheaton (his tech of 20 years), His riding companions Michael & Brutus, Ray Daniels and the extended Rush family and Neils close friends. He was a private guy and would be pretty embarrassed by all the fuss. But he kept to his morals and did right to keep quiet about the cancer, not making a song and dance, and let those most important learn of his untimely death first. RIP Bubba.
    Last edited by RushDrums24; 01-11-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

11. Purple Crazed

He will be missed. He was a North Star to many. He elevated the art of drumming and rock morality. His intelligent lyrics provided inspiration, comfort, and guidance to generations. Neil's influence has positively changed my life and I am thankful to have lived during his lifetime.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    He will be missed. He was a North Star to many. He elevated the art of drumming and rock morality. His intelligent lyrics provided inspiration, comfort, and guidance to generations. Neil's influence has positively changed my life and I am thankful to have lived during his lifetime.
    PERFECT summation. Cheers to a life well-lived.
    Way Too Much Crap