Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Identifying a Pearl drum set

I live in Finland and I am asking for a friend who bought these drums many years ago, and has had them stored in his basement ever since (as you can see from the dust on the drums) The owner before that said that the set was a special order from the factory? Or is it ctually just some common drumset? Acc. to the badges they are from 80-82, or...? The set includes 24"x16 bass drum, toms 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18" (the two biggest floor standing of course), 14" hi hat, 16" crash and a ride. Included are also all stands and bass drum pedal. The color looks like wine red to me? Sorry for the bad photos, and not enough data about the drums, I hope someone can identify them nonetheless
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by TuijaSG; 01-10-2020 at 12:50 PM.

2. Registered User

Name:  IMG_20191116_123818.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  71.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. Pearl does it for me

1980-83 is correct for the badges and the inspection sticker.
    Is there another small badge on each drum? eg "Maple"

They look like 8 ply shells to me, so more likely to be 1980-82 as you have said, and wrapped, so maybe the ET series.

Not sure what's happening with that one pic showing the deteriorating bearing edge, it needs recutting IMO...

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    1980-83 is correct for the badges and the inspection sticker.
    Is there another small badge on each drum? eg "Maple"

They look like 8 ply shells to me, so more likely to be 1980-82 as you have said, and wrapped, so maybe the ET series.

Not sure what's happening with that one pic showing the deteriorating bearing edge, it needs recutting IMO...
    bro .. that interior shot is old luan .. not maple .. maple doesn't look that sh#tty .. look at the vertical grain!

the bearing edge pic is an illusion .. it's all the crud and stick shavings that get trapped between rim and collar on drum head

it's luan shells .. it's not a dynamic wood shell since those had birch interior with luan core/outer plies .. without knowing what other badges are on shells it's most likely a Japanese Export without acousti-coat sealer or one of those japanese "rockbird" - "wildwing" etc series .. all from the 80-83 era

5. Registered User

No other badges....

6. Registered User

googled around and found pics of rockbirds, they don't look the same at all on the inside - my friend's shells are definitely wood insideName:  DSC01533.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  100.2 KB

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Ok the first set of pics you posted the wrap is wine red .. the interior pics are old "aged" luan better known as asian mahogany.

The pic you just posted above is of a maple shell with a fiberglass lined interior .. Pearl made maple/fiberglass shells for a short period in 80's

Now which shells do you have? the ones that are old luan or the maple/fiberglass? Or is the pic above a pic you found when you googled "rockbird"? If so, it's not a rockbird as they were luan and basswood shells. Pic above is clearly maple/fiberglass lined

8. Registered User

found that photo on google, my friend's look like this Name:  IMG_20191116_123636.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  88.4 KB

9. Registered User

It looks like all Wild wings have the text Wild Wing series on the badge? Here one photo I found on the internet. My friend's don't have any model/series name, and they do only have that one badge - no evidence of there being another badge at some point either.... http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=x578337675

10. Registered User

Name:  IMG_20191221_140339.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  61.4 KB This badge, and all serial numbers start with either 157 or 158.

11. Registered User

Your bass drum inner shell is identical to the same Lauan ply shell as my Pearl set from 1979 going by the name "Big Shot JNR". Have a look at the catalog from the drumarchive website (listed below) as your wrap colour is definitely shown there (as is mine). I managed to identify my kit by the single riser off the base drum - so have a look at other catalogs from pearl during the 70s if your kit is not actually on this particular catalog:

http://drumarchive.com/Pearl/Pearl1979Japan.pdf

The bass drum is a 24", two standard hi toms and two floor toms (16" and 18"). I also was left with no steel snare. I recently refurbished my set because I really do like the tone especially from the hi toms and the bass. Can't tell if this is a valuable kit (probably not due to the perceived market value of Lauan) but it's a beast of a kit.

Hope this helps.

12. Registered User

Thanks A bit hard to read that language But the badges are different (newer) on my friend's set?