Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    My question was more about flying with electronics, and general purpose touring stuff. Everyone else just started making backline reccomendations. I've never done anything like this before.
    Never go anywhere without your passport & itinerary attached to you.

Though I have done both, I suggest flying with the band. Quite frankly, I don’t even like wondering off without at least one other band member with you. You don’t want anything to look solely your fault if something goes wrong and someone having your back in a strange country is best.

I doubt you’ll need much cash as credit cards seem to be taken everywhere and most meals should be covered anyway.

2. Registered User

You really shouldn't have a problem carrying on the Roland if you use a soft case or even a small Pelican/something similar. I did Europe/UK last fall and there are definitely things I trust going in the bottom and others I don't at ALL lol! If you watch the cargo loaders you will see that they straight up chuck it around. My snare in a SKB hardcase seemed to do fine but it is a steel shell. I'm not sure how a wood would fare but I think a lot of cargo is climate controlled now. Pedals and cymbals came up top with me and personal backpack with my laptop but we could do that because we had 5 people in our party and planned it that way. My stringed counterparts checked there guitars/basses underneath the plane in Enki cases so they were super light and super safe and then our fly rack which contained our Kemper, rack interface, and wirelesses flew underneath as well with no problems.

That being said I've seen/heard horror stories from plenty of other bands on how airlines have destroyed there gear or ripped it apart at customs and left it a huge mess or broke something.

The only thing we really rented was shells and hardware for myself through a company called Captured Live and they had a really awesome selection to choose from, really high quality and well maintained stuff. Plenty of cymbals and snares to choose from as well if you needed that. I think for a whole month it was about $800-$1000. Sprinter/driver rental was SUPER expensive as well but I'm sure the people that hired you are taking care of that. I know this might be more information than you needed but just in case anyone wants to know ya know!

Prepare to be treated EXTREMELY well in mainland Europe, not so much the UK. Prepare for awful phone service(if you have TMobile) or none at all(if you have any other). My advice is to get a European sim card and some cheap service that works across borders. Prepare to have more beer provided for you than water and every country thinks theirs is the best!! Prepare for some pretty crazy racism. IMO even the US is more advanced than them in that department. Bring ketchup and mustard cause it is NOT the same over there. And lastly get an adapter that has all the different plugs built in because the most of the mainland uses the same one but the UK has there own and it'll be good to have if you ever hit Australia because they just gotta be different too! And keep some change because when you stop to use the bathroom you're gonna have to pay. (unless no one is watching)

Have fun and try to explore! Ask the locals for advice not the internet. Personally not a fan of most of Europe but there are definitely some things you can't miss!
    Quote Originally Posted by barjack View Post
    Even poo can sparkle if you've recently eaten glitter.

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I have AT&T and it works fabulous, no issues.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    This isn't flying related, but if you're doing any sightseeing at all while you're there, get a lanyard style passport/wallet holder (pickpockets are rampant at the tourist spots in Europe), and avoid drinking the tap water at all costs everywhere you go. Keep your head on a swivel in Europe's big cities, and other than that, just try to take in the sights and atmosphere. I've been to Europe twice, and it is an experience I'll never forget!
    As someone who lives on the UK and has travelled widely in most of the major European cities this simply isnít true. There are a couple of places notorious for pickpockets, central Barecelona and Rome being the two major ones, but even they just require common sense. No need to be hyper-alert, just be aware of your surroundings and donít look like easy pickings and you wonít become one.

All Northern European tap water is absolutely fine and completely potable. Only parts of Spain, Greece and southern Italy can be problematic and even then itís highly unlikely, it just doesnít taste very pleasant.

5. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by mpthomson View Post
    As someone who lives on the UK and has travelled widely in most of the major European cities this simply isn’t true. There are a couple of places notorious for pickpockets, central Barecelona and Rome being the two major ones, but even they just require common sense. No need to be hyper-alert, just be aware of your surroundings and don’t look like easy pickings and you won’t become one.

All Northern European tap water is absolutely fine and completely potable. Only parts of Spain, Greece and southern Italy can be problematic and even then it’s highly unlikely, it just doesn’t taste very pleasant.
    I should probably point out I toured Europe about 10 years ago, and I was still in high school, so my advice could very well be outdated and/or unnecessary. The tap water was more for Australia, as I had a good friend get incredibly sick from drinking the tap water there. When I went in 2010, we were told constantly that pickpockets were EVERYWHERE, so that's probably why I thought of that. My folks might have just been over-protective since they couldn't be there with me. But, I'm glad it's not like that anymore (if it was ever even like that to begin with), because I want to go back sooooo bad! UK and Switzerland are the 2 places I'd live if I couldn't live in the US.
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    My question was more about flying with electronics, and general purpose touring stuff. Everyone else just started making backline reccomendations. I've never done anything like this before.
    Hey bud, I'm a euro drum tech/merch/TM. We have artists fly in with sample pads all the time and its usually a painless procedure as long as you don't fly Delta.

Airlines usually don't mind what you take as cabin bags as long as it; a) passes security and b) fits in their cabin bag space and weight requirements. Usually if you want to take a cabin bag you can get a Peli 1530 Air and it will be super protective with the foam inserts and big enough that you can put your laptop and other cabin bag stuff in it (anything with a battery etc).

As for everything else over here, if the label is covering it then awesome. Make sure to tell them EXACTLY what you want though as I've seen drummers have to do a bit of a run around on first load in as the label rep has just been like 'ehh whatever'. Make sure to contact your endorser's local contact to see if they can smooth that, they'll generally know all the rental places and be able to hook you up good.

As others have said, travel adapters are key. My trick is to bring a strip of UK plugs then a single euro/US adapter for that to save you having to carry 15/20 of the same thing. Remember we're 220V over here so you will need a converter for your sample pad but other things like laptops can generally survive.

Europe is an incredible place and steeped in history so remember to make use of your days off if you're not travelling on them! Its nowhere as dangerous as has been made out on this thread and you can drink 99.9% of the water from the tap, though you shouldn't have to.

Enjoy it dude and happy gigging!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Crack? That's a sinkhole! ;)

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    I should probably point out I toured Europe about 10 years ago, and I was still in high school, so my advice could very well be outdated and/or unnecessary. The tap water was more for Australia, as I had a good friend get incredibly sick from drinking the tap water there. When I went in 2010, we were told constantly that pickpockets were EVERYWHERE, so that's probably why I thought of that. My folks might have just been over-protective since they couldn't be there with me. But, I'm glad it's not like that anymore (if it was ever even like that to begin with), because I want to go back sooooo bad! UK and Switzerland are the 2 places I'd live if I couldn't live in the US.
    People get just as nervous talking about NYC. We are not talking about Third World countries here.

8. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    People get just as nervous talking about NYC. We are not talking about Third World countries here.
    Ironically, I took a trip to NYC the very next year. The paranoia back then was probably just because we were still kids, in a foreign country, with not a lot of supervision lol
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

9. Vintage 1968

Congratulations on getting the tour! Sounds like a great time. There is some great advice listed above. The voltage converters will run you about $20 (US). Be sure you get the converter and not just the adapter. Adapter won't drop the voltage and you can end up running all your electronics at 220/240v. Or, in technical terms, you will let the smoke out of your electronics. I use a converter when I travel to the UK and Europe. They are great, but just know that they will get hot. You are pushing some higher voltage though it so the process of converting the voltage produces heat. That being said, I typically don't leave anything plugged up to charge if I won't be around it in case of overheating.

As somebody who flies a lot for work, I would recommend a hard case for your controller, and take it to the gate with you. Even if you can't get it onboard, you can gate check it and pick it up at the jetway when you land. I typically only travel with a carry-on, and sometimes the plane's storage bins are too small for my bag. I just gate check it. It still goes in the cargo bay, but it is handled way less than checking it, and it doesn't go though the automated system. It's a slightly safer way to check a bag if you need to.

I've never had any issues traveling abroad, but just keep your wits about you. Same as in Canada, the States, ect… I mostly walk around with my wallet/passport in my front pants pocket. It is harder to pick, and It is a lot more noticeable if somebody tries.

London is great. I'll actually be there in March. Have fun!

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    Congratulations on getting the tour! Sounds like a great time. There is some great advice listed above. The voltage converters will run you about $20 (US). Be sure you get the converter and not just the adapter. Adapter won't drop the voltage and you can end up running all your electronics at 220/240v. Or, in technical terms, you will let the smoke out of your electronics. I use a converter when I travel to the UK and Europe. They are great, but just know that they will get hot. You are pushing some higher voltage though it so the process of converting the voltage produces heat. That being said, I typically don't leave anything plugged up to charge if I won't be around it in case of overheating.

As somebody who flies a lot for work, I would recommend a hard case for your controller, and take it to the gate with you. Even if you can't get it onboard, you can gate check it and pick it up at the jetway when you land. I typically only travel with a carry-on, and sometimes the plane's storage bins are too small for my bag. I just gate check it. It still goes in the cargo bay, but it is handled way less than checking it, and it doesn't go though the automated system. It's a slightly safer way to check a bag if you need to.

I've never had any issues traveling abroad, but just keep your wits about you. Same as in Canada, the States, ect… I mostly walk around with my wallet/passport in my front pants pocket. It is harder to pick, and It is a lot more noticeable if somebody tries.

London is great. I'll actually be there in March. Have fun!
    Was in London in 2000. I know... it’s a different world now but id still love to go back. And Paris at night... *swoon*.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Vintage 1968

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Was in London in 2000. I know... it’s a different world now but id still love to go back. And Paris at night... *swoon*.
    You mean Paris By Air? (Tygers of Pan Tang reference). You were in London in 2000?? I was there in February 2000 waiting for them to open the London Eye. They were supposed to have it open in time for New Year's 1999/2000. It opened in March I believe. Man that was a fun trip, London Eye notwithstanding.

I've only spent a few hours in Paris but would love to spend more time there exploring.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dudme View Post
    You mean Paris By Air? (Tygers of Pan Tang reference). You were in London in 2000?? I was there in February 2000 waiting for them to open the London Eye. They were supposed to have it open in time for New Year's 1999/2000. It opened in March I believe. Man that was a fun trip, London Eye notwithstanding.

I've only spent a few hours in Paris but would love to spend more time there exploring.
    I was 100% there in Feb of 2000- for my 30th bday. No ****. Small world.
    Way Too Much Crap