Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Miles Gibbons

Default North American drummers that have tourd Europe: I have questions!

Hey guys. Happy New Year.

I'm Canadian, and touring Europe and Australia next month. I've only ever toured in vans, or done one-off "fly in and out" gigs within Canada, where all gear is provided (or I can organize rental from Long & McQuade, which means I can, with certainty, get what I need).

What are the things that I'll probably forget? What are some things I should know?

The only gear I'll be flying with is my SPD-SX - I don't need to be picky about drums\cymbals for this tour. The SPD-SX is essential though - I run backing tracks, send click to the band, and play a lot of sample-based grooves. I don't want to be left high and dry by backline, and I hear renting SPD-SXs can be very difficult outside of Canada. I'm hoping\planning to have my SPD-SX etc as my carry-on luggage (including triggers, foot switch, cables and in-ears). Obviously plug adaptors\voltage converters are essential for this.

Any incite on flying with electronic music gear? Any other advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: Yikes. Massive spelling mistake right in the title. Into the corner of shame I go!
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

2. Masterworks / Sabian

Hey.

The only thing, would be when you bring the gear back into Canada. They may try to hit you with duty taxes. There probably is a venue to register it with customs. At a minimum, I would have a copy of receipt.

Have fun.

3. a.k.a. YtseJam

Get an euro 220V adapter for the SPD-SX.

4. Drumoholic

This isn't flying related, but if you're doing any sightseeing at all while you're there, get a lanyard style passport/wallet holder (pickpockets are rampant at the tourist spots in Europe), and avoid drinking the tap water at all costs everywhere you go. Keep your head on a swivel in Europe's big cities, and other than that, just try to take in the sights and atmosphere. I've been to Europe twice, and it is an experience I'll never forget!
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

If you're flying with it i'd definitely get a flight case for starters or a hardcase of some sort, especially if you have no backup. And have backups on a USB of all your samples just incase (contingency plans is key). You're right with the Voltage adapters and plug changes, especially with Europe being different to the US, and then the UK again is a different plug. As for sorting rental gear, in London especially theres lots of places worth recommending, who sort out festivals and big name artists too. John Henry's and Bell Percussion spring to mind immediately, as 2 of the largest, but there are lots. Most drum stores around will also offer a hire kit of some sort, usually a Pearl Vision/Midrange kit of some sort, but be aware that some will rent Cymbals, and some won't, so its worth double checking.

And if you come to London, let me know and if i'm not away working i'll come and say hi!
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Registered User

If your are only bringing your SPD-SX, the only things you should remember to bring are, as mentioned by others, a voltage adaptor, and spare plugs as needed. Rush's advice to bring back-ups of your samples you is very good - something I probably wouldn't have thought of.

Remember to check, and double check, with back-line renters/partners/booking agents/bands/venues etc. to be sure that everything is in order.

Otherwise, see the sites it you have the time. Of course keep your passport and credit cards safe, but don't be paranoid - you won't be hit by pickpockets if you employ some common sense.
    And look up on the places you're going to. Europe can be everything from Scandinavia to ex-Yugoslavia to spain.

I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark. So if you get around these parts, I'd be happy to help or come around for a hang.

7. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    The only thing, would be when you bring the gear back into Canada. They may try to hit you with duty taxes. There probably is a venue to register it with customs. At a minimum, I would have a copy of receipt.
    Yeah, I’ve toured the states, so I’ve jumped through those hoops before. I’ll have a manifest with serial numbers, descriptions, and whatever receipts I have. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    If you're flying with it i'd definitely get a flight case for starters or a hardcase of some sort, especially if you have no backup. And have backups on a USB of all your samples just incase (contingency plans is key). You're right with the Voltage adapters and plug changes, especially with Europe being different to the US, and then the UK again is a different plug. As for sorting rental gear, in London especially theres lots of places worth recommending, who sort out festivals and big name artists too. John Henry's and Bell Percussion spring to mind immediately, as 2 of the largest, but there are lots. Most drum stores around will also offer a hire kit of some sort, usually a Pearl Vision/Midrange kit of some sort, but be aware that some will rent Cymbals, and some won't, so its worth double checking.

And if you come to London, let me know and if i'm not away working i'll come and say hi!
    I’m really hoping to carry my SPD-SX on the plane, rather than check it. If I get a flight case I definitely won’t be able to do that. I’ve got multiple USB key backups... I use custom patches on the SPD-SX for a bunch of gigs, so every band has it’s own backup. I’ll always have one with me, ready to go.

It looks like the label is handling back line... I’m not sure if that makes me feel better or worse ha ha!

I think I’ll actually be in a London for a couple days. I think there are two shows separated by a radio-spot/press day. I’ll drop a line!

- - -

Thanks everyone else for your help!

Bonus: looks like we’ve got an off day in Amsterdam on my birthday ha ha!
    Last edited by MilesAway; 01-11-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    "I'm gonna sleep outside... it's like Earth here, except less pollution, and more moons"

8. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    I think I’ll actually be in a London for a couple days. I think there are two shows separated by a radio-spot/press day. I’ll drop a line!
    Please do man. Let me know your plans and we'll try and arrange a hang!
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Congratulations. Touring Europe has always been a blast for me, but if things don’t go smoothly, it can be quite rough.

Who are you playing with?

Definitely rent gear. Some tour manager/drivers you can hire have gear that comes with them as a package. I suggest that rather than the crap-shoot every time you show up for a gig using house gear. Besides, buying gear there is expensive so even if it’s just drumheads, it can gouge you pretty good if what you’re given is garbage. Try to avoid being put in that spot.

Personally, I grab my snare, sticks, SPD-SX with mount, pedal, and cymbals (definitely bring cymbals if you are not renting). Try to not check as much as possible if it’s essential.

I also bring enough clothes for a week, no more, no less. If you need medication, bring more than you normally need in separate places within your things. How comfortable are you sleeping in strange places?

Assure the size of the vehicle. This is EXTREMELY important for comfort and knowing how much stuff you can bring regardless of what you want to.

English is the language of the music industry throughout the world, especially in rock, so don’t worry about communicating with everyone you need to. That part should go smoothly.

Good luck.

10. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Congratulations. Touring Europe has always been a blast for me, but if things donít go smoothly, it can be quite rough.

Who are you playing with?

Definitely rent gear. Some tour manager/drivers you can hire have gear that comes with them as a package. I suggest that rather than the crap-shoot every time you show up for a gig using house gear. Besides, buying gear there is expensive so even if itís just drumheads, it can gouge you pretty good if what youíre given is garbage. Try to avoid being put in that spot.

Personally, I grab my snare, sticks, SPD-SX with mount, pedal, and cymbals (definitely bring cymbals if you are not renting). Try to not check as much as possible if itís essential.

I also bring enough clothes for a week, no more, no less. If you need medication, bring more than you normally need in separate places within your things. How comfortable are you sleeping in strange places?

Assure the size of the vehicle. This is EXTREMELY important for comfort and knowing how much stuff you can bring regardless of what you want to.

English is the language of the music industry throughout the world, especially in rock, so donít worry about communicating with everyone you need to. That part should go smoothly.

Good luck.
    Amazing! Thanks. Lots of good info... the artist is Ren. Geffen/Universal is taking care of all the stuff, so Iím hoping that bodes well for back line, vehicle and accoms.

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    Amazing! Thanks. Lots of good info... the artist is Ren. Geffen/Universal is taking care of all the stuff, so I’m hoping that bodes well for back line, vehicle and accoms.
    If it’s a major label, what in the hell are you asking for? At that level, it’s just a matter of how picky you are not whether or not anything is going to be decent enough. You should have no concerns at all.
    Last edited by dale w miller; 01-12-2020 at 07:43 PM.

12. Miles Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    If itís a major label, what in the hell are you asking for? At that level, itís just a matter of how picky you are not whether or not anything is going to be decent enough. You should have no concerns at all.
    My question was more about flying with electronics, and general purpose touring stuff. Everyone else just started making backline reccomendations. I've never done anything like this before.