Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Drumoholic

Default 13" Reference Tom

Those of you who have a 13x9" (or 13x10") Reference tom, how do you like it? I found one for an absolute steal in my matching finish, and I'm seriously considering it. I have 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, and 16x16 already, but I'm gonna be playing more rock-oriented stuff, so I was thinking I could do a 13x9 up and 16x16 down configuration, if I wanted to do the "big drums" thing at a gig or a session. I have virtually no experience with 13" rack toms, so I honestly don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance!
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

2. Registered User

Never a bad thing to have an extra voice to work with. The only 13" I've ever owned was a bit finicky on tuning, but it was on a low end kit.

If its that good of a deal, I'd buy it and see what happens. Worst case scenario you can flip the drum if you hate it.

3. Playing since 1976

I had a 13" Reference tom back in the day, and I loved it. I used it as a left-side tom, like a small floor tom. Now I actually have a 13" floor tom... but back then, this was the next best thing.

Name:  newreferencetom.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  newreferencetom2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  115.3 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Enjoy Every Sandwich

The 13" will sound odd compared to the 12" and 14" but, even so, it'll still work well.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    The 13" will sound odd compared to the 12" and 14" but, even so, it'll still work well.

Definitely. It will probably sound a bit like a guitar considering its size and placement between the 12" and 14".

6. Enjoy Every Sandwich

'twas and odd# vs even# joke...a very lousy one, but one nonetheless.

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

I think 13's sound great. Don't forget that it was standard for a long time to sell a rock configuration as 22 inch kick, then toms 12, 13, and 16. There is good reason for it. It sounds great and big!

8. Purple Crazed

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    Those of you who have a 13x9" (or 13x10") Reference tom, how do you like it? I found one for an absolute steal in my matching finish, and I'm seriously considering it. I have 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, and 16x16 already, but I'm gonna be playing more rock-oriented stuff, so I was thinking I could do a 13x9 up and 16x16 down configuration, if I wanted to do the "big drums" thing at a gig or a session. I have virtually no experience with 13" rack toms, so I honestly don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance!
    Along with some other sizes, I have a 10x8, 12x9, 13x9, 14x11, and 16x13. It will sound great with all of the toms (3-up 2-down) if you choose to use the 14x14. I think you will be very happy with it and you don't see a 13x9 very often.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

9. a.k.a. YtseJam

I also use a 13"/10" on the left and it works great and I have been incorporating it more and more in my fills lately.

Also when playing 1up 2down, I find that the 13" is a better choice than a 12" for a single tom, especially if using 16" and 18" floor toms.

10. Drumoholic

Thanks guys! I wouldn't have it mounted all the time with the whole kit (3 up, 2 down) more than likely, but should I ever need to do a session or gig where I needed big toms, I could do the 13 up and the 16 down, or if I wanted to be really cool, I could do 10 and 13 up, and 16 down. I've also considered the idea of a 13 on the left as a possibility. Having the 10, 12, AND 13 all mounted above the kick is difficult with my current setup and mounting options. I appreciate it everyone, and I'm most likely gonna pull the trigger!

11. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    Never a bad thing to have an extra voice to work with. The only 13" I've ever owned was a bit finicky on tuning, but it was on a low end kit.

If its that good of a deal, I'd buy it and see what happens. Worst case scenario you can flip the drum if you hate it.
    It's a STUPID good deal LOL

And to be honest, I'm not very happy with the sound of my 12x9 tom, and I never have been, since I got the kit 10 years ago. I've tried different head combos, adjusted the Optimount every way I could, tried mounting on a stand instead of a rack, used a snare stand with no Optimount, and I just can't get it quite the way I want it for some reason.
    Last edited by pearlreference7101; 01-10-2020 at 10:11 AM.

12. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    It's a STUPID good deal LOL
    It can't hurt to have an extra matching tom around. If you ever wanted a very small set up, you could use your 10 rack with the 13 as a small floor, on a stand that also holds a ride or crash. So many possibilities.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE