Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Man those new saturns look cheap as hell. Mapex seems to be shooting itself in the foot lately since it's basically let Russ miller take over it's hardware department.

2. J-Con

Sooooo... I can't be the only one that felt massively let down by Zildjian this year? I mean, they introduced a new ZBT ish line and revamped the Planet Z line? That's it? I wait all year and get so excited for this event. I'm a little bummed.

And then Pearl discontinues the coolest color I've seen in awhile for their Session Studio Select line. That black halo flake looked so cool...

I will say I think Roland knocked it out of the park this year!

3. NO KIT TOO BIG

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Man those new saturns look cheap as hell. Mapex seems to be shooting itself in the foot lately since it's basically let Russ miller take over it's hardware department.
    I agree, all this design lab stuff is just a little OTT for me. They should go back to the tried and tested saturn 3 designs which worked so well because you could configure any tom to be hanging, or have 12/13" floor toms and "gong toms", but more to the point they looked great and sounded excellent, and as we can see by the used market now, stood up to a lot of use over many years. The new ones don't do it for me.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

4. th droids yerlookn4

personaly i hate everything russ miller touches , hes like a ,i dunno, snake oil salesman, trying to fix , ssh-stuff that aint broke and trying to sell it back to us like its new and amazing, like that mag -mount system , the lead balloon of 2019

5. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    To me, it would just look better across the top of the lugs, in line with the rims. Now you have a piece of metal going across the shell? Boooo!
    really, not like i dunno, dw , noble and cooley, ludwig , or anyone's drums that use the r.i.m.s. style mounting system? better yet , these mounts are runnin flat across the drum not oblong, face out, like standard rims mounts, so the mapex's will actually have a slimmer profile than all of those

[QUOTE=Tasty808;1854458683I didn't even notice that at first. This is super dumb. Only pro would be that you could change the head while it's still on the stand... not sure why you'd want to but it'd be an option.[/QUOTE]
    wait, youve never had to change a head live?

6. th droids yerlookn4

Sooooo... I can't be the only one that felt massively let down by Zildjian this year? I mean, they introduced a new ZBT ish line and revamped the Planet Z line? That's it? I wait all year and get so excited for this event. I'm a little bummed.

And then Pearl discontinues the coolest color I've seen in awhile for their Session Studio Select line. That black halo flake looked so cool...

I will say I think Roland knocked it out of the park this year!
    as far as zildjian ...eh if you take into account the things theyve putting out on a fairly decent basis , im okay with it and to be honest someone seems to have actually took the time make cheap cymbals that dont sound bad...and if it sounds good, its another possible color in my pallette , for years on my old big black kit, i had 18and 19 b8pros, they blend fairly well , maybe a b8 alloy cymbal might be a missing sound youve never heard .i mean , if you like the sound a paiste 2002, then you like the sound of b8 bronze

as far as pearl goes , nothings really as gone as they say it is ..

as for roland there about 15 years late to the party with there new "real" drums ,and the prices ,jeez. i think the dt-27 has some good things for drummers , also the td-17 should not be overlooked these modules are pretty impressive ,with the td -17 being fairlty inexpensive , yknow, for roland

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    personaly i hate everything russ miller touches , hes like a ,i dunno, snake oil salesman, trying to fix , ssh-stuff that aint broke and trying to sell it back to us like its new and amazing, like that mag -mount system , the lead balloon of 2019
    I've got no problem with him, he's a hell of a drummer and seems like a nice dude, but it seems to me he uses a very engineering focused approach to the products he designs, and while I'm sure they do what they say, a lot of drumming (for me particularly) is aesthetics, which is now sorely lacking from some of mapex's stuff.

8. Drumming Since 1943

I've got no problem with him, he's a hell of a drummer and seems like a nice dude, but it seems to me he uses a very engineering focused approach to the products he designs, and while I'm sure they do what they say, a lot of drumming (for me particularly) is aesthetics, which is now sorely lacking from some of mapex's stuff.
    What does one expect from a company with a name that sounds like a strain of herpes?
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What does one expect from a company with a name that sounds like a strain of herpes?
    Wut?

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Ouch.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Ouch.
    It's true and you know it.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Drumoholic

I was disappointed in Zildjian as well. Beginner cymbals are not their bread and butter as far as sales, I would think. They would really be doing themselves a favor by putting out more big, thin, dark(ish) cymbals while it's still the "in" thing to do in music. I was very pleased that Meinl expanded the Dual line to include chinas, effects cymbals, and additional crash sizes. If that Session Studio Select finish is discontinued, I might have to pick up a snare before it's impossible to find.
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater