Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Question Help to identify pearl kit

Hi everyone. My name is Danny and I live in Sydney Australia. I have recently bought this kit and would like any information on its year of manufacture and what is called. I can’t find any information or photos. It’s a little different in that it hasn’t any resonance skins on any of the drums including floor Tom and kick drum. The shells are timber with a speckled white/grey/black coating. The drum sizes are 12x8 - 13x9 - 14x10 toms 16x15 floor tom 14x5 snare -20x14 kick. There was no hardware and I think the 15” tom is missing. Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers Danny.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Dannywill; 01-03-2020 at 04:34 PM.

2. Pearl does it for me

Hi Danny,
    G'day, welcome to the PDF and the vintage section

We have to have pics, or it's all a guess.

Edit your post, click edit your post. Click go advanced. Click manage attachments, That will give you maximum size for various file types. Browse yur puter, upload, bingo.

Pics of badges, bearing edges, tom mounts, bass drum mount and bass drum spurs will all be really helpful...

3. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Based on the Tom Lugs, I believe it is from the late 60's or early 70's.
    As far as the finish, I've no idea. It almost looks like someone removed a wrap from the shells and sprayed them with something similar to what you would apply to the bed of a pick-up truck. Do any of the vent holes still have grommets in them (I cannot tell from the images)?
    Finally, I'm fairly positive that the snare is just a basic chrome over steel. Stick a magnet on it and see if it holds. If not, then it is chrome over brass (which is highly unlikely).

There are a couple other members on this forum that can give you more specific info. What are your plans for the kit? Restore it? Just play it? Both?

4. Pearl does it for me

Awesome, you worked out how to do pics.

What you have there is a bit of a mish mash.
    The badge on the snare probably makes it a COS snare from an NC series kit around 1972, the one lug to the right of the badge has been replaced.
    The lugs on the concert style toms are from around the same era and probably the same series.
    BUT, I can't find concert toms until a bit later in the 70's.
    The tom mounts, on the 2 toms and the bass drum, and the tom arms, are later as well, late 70 to 80's.

So, it's a bitsa kit, made from what looks to me like 9 ply Luan shells.

I agree, I'd say it was wrapped at some stage, and the current finish has been applied, perhaps to get some "orphan" shells into a kit.
    So they could be re wrapped.
    What's your plan?

5. Registered User

Hi. Thanks for your help. I was hoping I have something special but obviously not so I will probably sell it. Thanks again for your help. Cheers Danny

6. Registered User

Hi. Thanks for your help. I was hoping to have something special but obviously not so I will probably sell it. Thanks again for your help. Cheers Danny