Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 109
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Personally I would spend some time trying different batter side heads and damping methods. I bet if you spend some time and sadly more money on the kit it would surprise how much you would actually like them. BUT, I cant help thinking that you want to unload them because they don't have the "look at me I'm so cool" effect that a set of DW's or similarly over endorsed commercial set would have on someone who knows less about drums than you.

  2. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeanDean View Post
    Personally I would spend some time trying different batter side heads and damping methods. I bet if you spend some time and sadly more money on the kit it would surprise how much you would actually like them. BUT, I cant help thinking that you want to unload them because they don't have the "look at me I'm so cool" effect that a set of DW's or similarly over endorsed commercial set would have on someone who knows less about drums than you.
    It's got nothing to do with the lack of sex appeal of the kit, I just don't want it
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New zealand
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
    Why don't you donate them to an organization in need and take the write off?
    You already know selling/trading is a losing proposition...
    for me it wouldn't be worth the agita to attempt that endeavor, and you can bank the karma for later
    Best Solution right here I reckon
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich





  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fraser Valley, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeanDean View Post
    Personally I would spend some time trying different batter side heads and damping methods. I bet if you spend some time and sadly more money on the kit it would surprise how much you would actually like them. BUT, I cant help thinking that you want to unload them because they don't have the "look at me I'm so cool" effect that a set of DW's or similarly over endorsed commercial set would have on someone who knows less about drums than you.

    I play a DW kit because I like the sound and look of them. I don’t care what others think. I put on my big boy pants and made that decision myself, and didn’t/don’t need your opinion. I certainly don’t play them to “look cool or have others look at me” as you say. I also like Pearl and Tama and Gretsch. I didn’t buy DW because of their endorsers. By the way, I’ve been playing drums for 35 years and do my research on kits I’m interested in (cymbals too). So at the risk of getting banned, Piss Off!

  5. NO KIT TOO BIG

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeanDean View Post
    BUT, I cant help thinking that you want to unload them because they don't have the "look at me I'm so cool" effect that a set of DW's or similarly over endorsed commercial set would have on someone who knows less about drums than you.
    I've never thought of DWs like that, lots of people love them because they make great drums. Same as Yamaha, Pearl, Tama and all of the other great companies. Personally this 'effect' you're describing never crosses my mind when buying gear. I buy the drums I buy because I like the way they sound, and look. I don't really care if my kit has a beautiful exotic finish with inlays and gold hardware etc, or if its just a simple piano black. As long as it sounds great and gives me, and the people I work for, what they want to hear. Yes I like a beautiful finish but if the drums aren't up to standard, I wouldn't buy them. When I bought my natal kit I wasn't 100% convinced on the finish (British Racing Green Sparkle), but it was my favourite out of the selection (I wanted and still would like a black sparkle set), however the sound of the Tulip shells and the tone they gave. Having said that though, and owned the kit for 18 months, I adore the green sparkle, and it really pops under stage lights, looking almost black under dim lights, but exploding with glitter when the lights come up. But as I said, if it didn't sound great and do its job, irrespective of what it is, I wouldn't play it.
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

    Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

    4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

  6. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    I've never thought of DWs like that, lots of people love them because they make great drums. Same as Yamaha, Pearl, Tama and all of the other great companies. Personally this 'effect' you're describing never crosses my mind when buying gear. I buy the drums I buy because I like the way they sound, and look. I don't really care if my kit has a beautiful exotic finish with inlays and gold hardware etc, or if its just a simple piano black. As long as it sounds great and gives me, and the people I work for, what they want to hear. Yes I like a beautiful finish but if the drums aren't up to standard, I wouldn't buy them. When I bought my natal kit I wasn't 100% convinced on the finish (British Racing Green Sparkle), but it was my favourite out of the selection (I wanted and still would like a black sparkle set), however the sound of the Tulip shells and the tone they gave. Having said that though, and owned the kit for 18 months, I adore the green sparkle, and it really pops under stage lights, looking almost black under dim lights, but exploding with glitter when the lights come up. But as I said, if it didn't sound great and do its job, irrespective of what it is, I wouldn't play it.
    This.... Sound is the most important element
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  7. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I swear by Reverb. GREAT resource.
    Reverb is great. That and Facebook Marketplace is where 99% of my drums & gear come from.

    IMO - EBay sucks. I always hear about folks getting these "Unicorn" deals on EBay - and when I go on I find someone selling what is an $800 drum set parted out for a total cost of $2,000.

  8. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    I am going to try to trade them in for a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kit. We will see what happens.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  9. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fraser Valley, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    229

    Default

    CUZNRED, hopefully you can make a trade. Keep us posted.

  10. Totally Rad

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,796

    Default

    Ever get that Dw set up yet? The Yamaha sounds interesting, always thought about getting a Yamaha kit.

  11. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Jesus View Post
    Ever get that Dw set up yet? The Yamaha sounds interesting, always thought about getting a Yamaha kit.
    work has been crazy but hoping to get the Dw/s set up tonight. Trading the keller kit for a stage custom birch set. Kinda taking a hit but I know the stage customs sound good and are a great gig kit.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    work has been crazy but hoping to get the Dw/s set up tonight. Trading the keller kit for a stage custom birch set. Kinda taking a hit but I know the stage customs sound good and are a great gig kit.
    I'm sure the new Yamaha Stage Custom Birch set will compliment your existing Yamaha Stage Custom Birch set

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •