Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    My Reference 12" tom has the same issues. When I tune it initially off of a stand, it absolutely sings beautifully. When I mount it on a stand or rack, it noticeably lost a ton of sustain and tone. Take it off the stand, it sings again. My 10" tom doesn't have nearly the degree of resonance loss. At first, I thought I had a dead head when I first got the drum, so I changed both heads. Still choked. I adjusted the OptiMount to every position possible, and it was still choked. I have all but given up on that tom. On the most recent head change a few weeks ago, I was able to get the most tone and sustain out of it that I've ever gotten in almost 10 years of owning it, but it's still choked quite a bit. I am thoroughly annoyed lol
    Do you mount the 12 over your kick drum? I offset my toms and I have noticed that my 12 opens up more when I mount it more to the left of my kick so the 12 isn't hanging over my kick, give that a shot, it may open up the drum more for you.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

2. Drumoholic

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Do you mount the 12 over your kick drum? I offset my toms and I have noticed that my 12 opens up more when I mount it more to the left of my kick so the 12 isn't hanging over my kick, give that a shot, it may open up the drum more for you.
    Yeah, it's over my kick. I've got the 10 and 12 up top in the usual spots most people put them it. I had it offset at one point years ago, but it made my hats feel farther away than I liked. I'll give it another shot this weekend. Thanks!
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Pearl - Soultone Cymbals - Evans - Vater

3. Get Down On It

I see the mounts are on the shell. Would the hole spacing work for an Atlas mount? I use those all over my kit and they are fabulous. I also double mount my 10 & 12 offset and have no problems with resonance either on or off the stand. Those things really work.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

4. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
    I see the mounts are on the shell. Would the hole spacing work for an Atlas mount? I use those all over my kit and they are fabulous. I also double mount my 10 & 12 offset and have no problems with resonance either on or off the stand. Those things really work.
    I already checked into the atlas mounts, unfortunately the hole spacing isn't the same.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

5. Get Down On It

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I already checked into the atlas mounts, unfortunately the hole spacing isn't the same.
    That's a bummer. Would have been a great solution.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982