Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Default To drill or not to drill...

So, a few weeks back, I picked up a used, but very nice Masters Custom kit in silver sparkle. I managed to obtain some b-stock chrome Optimounts for the 10", 12" and 14" toms at a great price and I'm happy with the look and function. The 14" FT is a tad " bouncy " with the Optimount, so I'm not too crazy about trying to hang a 16" FT on an OPTI, but I'm also hesitant to drill into a lacquer finish to add legs. Obviously, I need to make a decision, so I'm looking for others' experiences. I can take it to a drum builder and pay him to put the holes in for me, but I'm flirting with doing it myself. Aside from the obvious (painters tape, backer board, pilot holes, proper measurements) any other advice from those of you who may have tackled such a project in the past?

I've already sourced the brackets and suspension legs, so I am almost convinced to go that route. Just not sure if I trust myself not to mess it up. Fairly handy around the house, but one misstep and I can potentially ruin a great drum. Finally, I know there are cradles available, but I'm just not a fan of that look. So, any additional advice from anyone experienced in such matters would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_0443.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  51.5 KB

2. Comrade Tim

Doesn't someone make FT leg brackets that attach to the hoops? I thought I saw something like that at one point in the past....

Kit Pix
    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Hex View Post
    Doesn't someone make FT leg brackets that attach to the hoops? I thought I saw something like that at one point in the past....
    Sure do.

https://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dyn...trade-fts.html

4. Registered User

What about a low profile snare stand?

Gibraltar also makes a peg leg snare stand/basket (low profile) that can be connected to a rack via a grabber bar.

5. old dog, new tricks

take a look at these... I'm looking at putting them on all my toms. You don't have to drill, just use the existing lug holes. I was originally looking at the Ludwig ATLAS mounts but these more low profile and less expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaNtit9vLI
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

6. Looks That Kill

I second the atlas floor tom mounts, they replace 3 of your bottom lugs and fit the hole spacing. No drilling required
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by HPD260 View Post
    I have a RIMS mount on my 16x14. Like it a lot. Works well with no drilling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Aside from the obvious (painters tape, backer board, pilot holes, proper measurements) any other advice from those of you who may have tackled such a project in the past?

I've already sourced the brackets and suspension legs, so I am almost convinced to go that route. Finally, I know there are cradles available, but I'm just not a fan of that look. So, any additional advice from anyone experienced in such matters would be appreciated.
    drill ... I made bold some key parts to your post .. from someone that drills into drums all the time, it's not rocket science. Even if you splinter or crack exterior/interior a little, the brackets on exterior and washers on interior will hide any cosmetics. Do the obvious, measure 3 times and take your time.

9. Registered User

You can eliminate and splitting of the wood with a stepped bit. Drill pilot holes, then used the stepped bit to finish the hole from both the inside and out. Depending on the thickness of the shell, you may have to run a regular drill bit through the hole to clean up the middle, but your holes will not splinter any of the finished wood.

10. Registered User

Tommy D’s advise is correct, follow that and it’ll be fine. Nice kit BTW, classy looking.

11. old dog, new tricks

I always advise that if you are going to drill, you should use a backing block to avoid blowout on the other side.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

12. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and recommendations. Hope to tackle this project before the end of the year. Just too many holiday distractions at the moment for me to put proper focus to this project. Will update once I have completed.
    Thanks!