Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 67

Thread: new dw/s

  1. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default new dw/s

    Here are my new DW/s this was the archive pic that was taken before they shipped from the factory. Not sure if I am going to keep these. Collectors Birch Satin oil natural

    Name:  dw factory .jpg
Views: 384
Size:  74.2 KB
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Fraser Valley, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Those do Look sweet. The Satin really works with the natural wood. Perhaps you’ll have a change of heart and get that 12” Tom bearing edge corrected. I ordered a Satin Quilted Maple Kit last week.

  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,211

    Default

    Wait- I’m confused with the timeline here. Is that the kit that you received that had the crap bearing edge and you were going to send back?
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Wait- I’m confused with the timeline here. Is that the kit that you received that had the crap bearing edge and you were going to send back?
    Shane at DCP got it tuned up for me, turns out the edge was fine. Those god damm true ***** tuning rods take some getting used to. At this point I am not sure about this kit. It looks fantastic, but sound wise, it just doesn't blow me away like I thought a DW would. Maybe I bought too much into the hype, or maybe I should have gone with a maple or cherry kit from them. The kit has never even been set up, I have been playing my masters maple complete kit which I now have sounding fantastic. You can chalk it up as one more stupid impulse mistake for me, I should have quit while I was ahead and kept my 3 masters kits.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  5. Pearl Masters Drummer

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,997

    Default

    That kit looks stunning. If you haven't even set it up yet how do you know it won't work out? Don't forget that kits also sound different in different rooms. I gig quite a bit and each room can bring out differences in what I hear. Also, DW uses those proprietary heads with the dampener around the heads. Have you tried putting typical REMO or EVANS heads on there to see how the sound changes? I don't like the pre-muffled heads DW puts on their drums. I would try some different heads first and then set the kit up and play it. Try it in some different rooms before you just let go of it. The finish is awesome.

  6. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    That kit looks stunning. If you haven't even set it up yet how do you know it won't work out? Don't forget that kits also sound different in different rooms. I gig quite a bit and each room can bring out differences in what I hear. Also, DW uses those proprietary heads with the dampener around the heads. Have you tried putting typical REMO or EVANS heads on there to see how the sound changes? I don't like the pre-muffled heads DW puts on their drums. I would try some different heads first and then set the kit up and play it. Try it in some different rooms before you just let go of it. The finish is awesome.
    I got a set of remo clear emps for the toms and clear ambassadors for the reso, gonna put them on this weekend and give it a spin. I have the kick sounding good since I replaced the stock heads with ps3 batter and reso, the DW stock heads make those drums sound awful, especially on the kick drum.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  7. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    This is what I really want Name:  canopus .jpg
Views: 321
Size:  62.8 KB
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  8. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    Those do Look sweet. The Satin really works with the natural wood. Perhaps you’ll have a change of heart and get that 12” Tom bearing edge corrected. I ordered a Satin Quilted Maple Kit last week.
    From what company did you order from? DW?
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  9. Pearl Masters Drummer

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I got a set of remo clear emps for the toms and clear ambassadors for the reso, gonna put them on this weekend and give it a spin. I have the kick sounding good since I replaced the stock heads with ps3 batter and reso, the DW stock heads make those drums sound awful, especially on the kick drum.
    I agree!

  10. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Linsay House
    Posts
    242

    Default

    DW? That you'd never own again and you're getting a reference and a masterworks?

    I'm confused.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

  11. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    DW? That you'd never own again and you're getting a reference and a masterworks?

    I'm confused.
    This is the DW I got in September

    If I was to get a masterworks kit, I would get a maple mahogany 6 ply toms 8 ply kick in this finish

    Name:  Masters 101 Walnut Lacquer2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  461.8 KB
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    357

    Default

    If looks could kill !! Those DW's look awesome I mean stunning as hell . What sizes are they ? sorry they do not sound like you thought "Birch " can be a tricky shell to get used to and add the D W ultra fine tension rods. I can see it would be frustrating to get to liking them but man they look awesome. Maple might have been a better choice based on you really liking the pearl Masters Maple Complete drums. Dude those drums look amazing !!
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

    Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •