Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new dw/s

1. Looks That Kill

Default new dw/s

Here are my new DW/s this was the archive pic that was taken before they shipped from the factory. Not sure if I am going to keep these. Collectors Birch Satin oil natural

Name:  dw factory .jpg
Views: 384
Size:  74.2 KB
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

2. Registered User

Those do Look sweet. The Satin really works with the natural wood. Perhaps you’ll have a change of heart and get that 12” Tom bearing edge corrected. I ordered a Satin Quilted Maple Kit last week.

3. Drumming Since 1943

Wait- I’m confused with the timeline here. Is that the kit that you received that had the crap bearing edge and you were going to send back?
    Way Too Much Crap

4. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Wait- I’m confused with the timeline here. Is that the kit that you received that had the crap bearing edge and you were going to send back?
    Shane at DCP got it tuned up for me, turns out the edge was fine. Those god damm true ***** tuning rods take some getting used to. At this point I am not sure about this kit. It looks fantastic, but sound wise, it just doesn't blow me away like I thought a DW would. Maybe I bought too much into the hype, or maybe I should have gone with a maple or cherry kit from them. The kit has never even been set up, I have been playing my masters maple complete kit which I now have sounding fantastic. You can chalk it up as one more stupid impulse mistake for me, I should have quit while I was ahead and kept my 3 masters kits.

5. Pearl Masters Drummer

That kit looks stunning. If you haven't even set it up yet how do you know it won't work out? Don't forget that kits also sound different in different rooms. I gig quite a bit and each room can bring out differences in what I hear. Also, DW uses those proprietary heads with the dampener around the heads. Have you tried putting typical REMO or EVANS heads on there to see how the sound changes? I don't like the pre-muffled heads DW puts on their drums. I would try some different heads first and then set the kit up and play it. Try it in some different rooms before you just let go of it. The finish is awesome.

6. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    That kit looks stunning. If you haven't even set it up yet how do you know it won't work out? Don't forget that kits also sound different in different rooms. I gig quite a bit and each room can bring out differences in what I hear. Also, DW uses those proprietary heads with the dampener around the heads. Have you tried putting typical REMO or EVANS heads on there to see how the sound changes? I don't like the pre-muffled heads DW puts on their drums. I would try some different heads first and then set the kit up and play it. Try it in some different rooms before you just let go of it. The finish is awesome.
    I got a set of remo clear emps for the toms and clear ambassadors for the reso, gonna put them on this weekend and give it a spin. I have the kick sounding good since I replaced the stock heads with ps3 batter and reso, the DW stock heads make those drums sound awful, especially on the kick drum.

7. Looks That Kill

This is what I really want Name:  canopus .jpg
Views: 321
Size:  62.8 KB

8. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    Those do Look sweet. The Satin really works with the natural wood. Perhaps you’ll have a change of heart and get that 12” Tom bearing edge corrected. I ordered a Satin Quilted Maple Kit last week.
    From what company did you order from? DW?

9. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I got a set of remo clear emps for the toms and clear ambassadors for the reso, gonna put them on this weekend and give it a spin. I have the kick sounding good since I replaced the stock heads with ps3 batter and reso, the DW stock heads make those drums sound awful, especially on the kick drum.
    I agree!

10. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

DW? That you'd never own again and you're getting a reference and a masterworks?

I'm confused.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

11. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    DW? That you'd never own again and you're getting a reference and a masterworks?

I'm confused.
    This is the DW I got in September

If I was to get a masterworks kit, I would get a maple mahogany 6 ply toms 8 ply kick in this finish

Name:  Masters 101 Walnut Lacquer2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  461.8 KB

12. Registered User

If looks could kill !! Those DW's look awesome I mean stunning as hell . What sizes are they ? sorry they do not sound like you thought "Birch " can be a tricky shell to get used to and add the D W ultra fine tension rods. I can see it would be frustrating to get to liking them but man they look awesome. Maple might have been a better choice based on you really liking the pearl Masters Maple Complete drums. Dude those drums look amazing !!
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM