Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Identifying early 80s wood snare

Hi.
    Recently I came across a wonderful sounding 10-lug Pearl wood snare, probably early 80s, in natural walnut (?) finish. The drum has a grey/greenish finish on the inside, which I couldn't find in the catalogues. A small sticker below the air vent says "Made in Taiwan Republic of China". The original strainer was the S-018 model (see catalogue picture attached). I hope anyone here can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Pearl Corporation USA

I'm guessing a 1983 L2514DW snare cross-laminated select woods in color 121 walnut lacquer with Pearl's Acousti-Coat sealer inside helped to both project sound while keeping the shell free of effects from moisture.

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

3. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

How’s the coating compare to TAMA’s of the same era?

4. Registered User

In my understanding the Acousti-Coat was only used for Export drums, but were there wood snares in the early 80s Export series? And were there Export snares with with 10 lugs and a natural wood finish?

5. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by dalecro View Post
    In my understanding the Acousti-Coat was only used for Export drums, but were there wood snares in the early 80s Export series? And were there Export snares with with 10 lugs and a natural wood finish?
    Hello, and welcome to the PDF, and the Vintage section in particular

"Only" seems never to have been a word in the Pearl vocabulary!
    Just about anything could be, and was done, under custom orders, so anything was possible.

You're right. Acousticoat was most commonly associated with the Export series, but wasn't used consistently throughout every year in the first 10 years or so.
    Generally, the snare was a metal shelled 6 1/2 x 14 for the EX/ELX etc, from 1982 to 1996.
    But, you could order whatever!
    Here's where it gets weird.
    The 83, 84 and 85 ELX's had a birch inner and outer ply and no acousticoat. They were available in walnut.
    So, there was no need to custom order a walnut finish wood shell snare with acousticoat to match the ELX's, but maybe it was just done like that!

BTW, the snare strainer, all new in 1982, and clearly shown in the 1982 USA Export catalogue, is marked as an S-013 (not S-018)...

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    BTW, the snare strainer, all new in 1982, and clearly shown in the 1982 USA Export catalogue, is marked as an S-013 (not S-018)...
    That's weird. The 1983 Export catalogue lists the strainer as the S-018 model. This catalogue also shows my exact snare drum as I just found out. I am really impressed how great an old Pearl Export wood snare can sound...Name:  Pearl_S018.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  221.1 KBName:  Pearl_Export_Walnut.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  73.3 KB

7. Pearl does it for me

Hmmm, I found 2 different 83 export catalogues, eventually, your snare is in the second one of course.

Great find, glad to hear you're enjoying it!