Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Old Pearl Export

Hey everyone!

A cuple of years ago I bought a second hand old Pearl Export. I have been trying to somewhat date it and find out if it is an old goodie, but with no success. Therefor I'm turning to you guys. The main characteristic of the kit is the it doesn't seem to be made of plys but rather wood fiber/MDF with a quite rugged inside coating (?). Everywhere I've read it says that all Exports are of real wood plys. These aren't, but still they're Exports.

Can someone please help me?

Regards

P

2. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Care to provide a pic or two?

3. Registered User

Absolutely!

Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  46.5 KB
    Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  115.0 KB
    Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  53.7 KB

4. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Guessing it is somewhere around a 1986 model. They are made from multiple plies of (lesser) wood, but they were touting the "Acoustic-Coat Sealer' during that time. If the sealer laps over the bearing edges, then it probably hides the multiple plies.

Look here:
    http://catweb.tgtel.com/1986%20World...%20spreads.pdf

5. Registered User

Wow! Yes, they absolutely looks like the drums on the pics you sent. Not the deep ones though. Ok. Cool. So...how is that vintage? Is it on the better side or worse side?
    The kit I have is double kick, 4 Tom's and metal snare. Everything in good condition.

6. Pearl Corporation USA

The 1982 - 84' Exports had were 3-ply select woods w/Acoustic-coat sealer. In 1984-85 the shells went to 8-ply Asian Mahogany / Birch inner ply.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

7. Registered User

Ok. So is there a way to date my drums? The serial on one of the kicks is visible on one of the pics. Can I do something (for example unscrew something) to take a picture or determin which construction it is (3 or 8 ply)? Is there any way to determin where they were built?

I apologize if I'm nerdy about this, but I just LOVE finding out as much as I can about my gear

Thanks for all replies this far

8. Registered User

Go down to http://catweb.tgtel.com , search through all the catalogs in an around the estimated year, and zero in on the one that has the same look, hardware, configuration, and description as yours.