Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Playing since 1976

Default New Alternative for Replacing Tired Pearl Strainers

If anyone has a Pearl snare drum with a tired SR-017, SR-015, SR-700, or SR-900, you can now completely replace the throw off and butt with the new iNDE Universal strainer. It even comes in chrome, black nickel, and gold. Iíve owned all of the throw offs listed above, and I think the iNDE is just as good, if not better and smoother than the Pearl throw offs. In addition to the smoothness, the iNDE throw off has more vertical travel than the Pearl throw offs. The new iNDE butt fits all sorts of drums, including almost all Ludwigs.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrad...ainerbuttplate
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

2. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

"the new Universal Butt Plate featuring the Adjustable Spacing System (A.S.S.)"

The butt has an A.S.S.? This reminds me of the mad scientist from the first season of South Park
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    "the new Universal Butt Plate featuring the Adjustable Spacing System (A.S.S.)"

The butt has an A.S.S.? This reminds me of the mad scientist from the first season of South Park
    Ha! I was so interested in the new design, I didn't even catch the ridiculous marketing acronym LOL!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    If anyone has a Pearl snare drum with a tired SR-017, SR-015, SR-700, or SR-900, you can now completely replace the throw off and butt with the new iNDE Universal strainer. It even comes in chrome, black nickel, and gold. I’ve owned all of the throw offs listed above, and I think the iNDE is just as good, if not better and smoother than the Pearl throw offs. In addition to the smoothness, the iNDE throw off has more vertical travel than the Pearl throw offs. The new iNDE butt fits all sorts of drums, including almost all Ludwigs.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrad...ainerbuttplate
    That certainly is an option. I noticed that Pearl now has the SR-150 strainer that has a lock tight lever that snaps around the knob. I have a Sensitone Black Brass 14x5 snare that I am currently having problems with the SR-017 again loosening. I have done every possible thing to check and the bolt is not loosening or are the strings. Tried all different tunings and even tried other heads. When I play for a few minutes, if I just disengage the snare wires and engage them again, and it is fine! I don't even have to tighten the knob.
    Last edited by Mountain; 03-05-2020 at 02:51 AM.

5. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    That certainly is an option. I think a better idea would be to design the current throw offs better so they don't loosen! I noticed that Pearl now has the SR-150 strainer that has a lock tight lever that snaps around the knob. I have a Sensitone Black Brass 14x5 snare that I am currently having problems with the SR-017 again loosening. I have done every possible thing to check and the bolt is not loosening or are the strings. Tried all different tunings and even tried other heads. When I play for a few minutes, if I just disengage the snare wires and engage them again, and it is fine! I don't even have to tighten the knob.
    In the past, when I talked to Pearl about problems with their throw offs, they simply recommend replacing them. I never used a SR-700, but I've had faulty SR-017, 015, and 900... but the replacements worked better. They are not that expensive to replace. I can tell you from experience, the iNDE is sleeker and smoother than the SR-017. The SR-150 you mentioned is also nice, but twice the list price of the SR-017. What year is your SR-017? In the 2018 price-list, Pearl lists the SR017 as "NEW"... it's been around forever, but maybe it was recently redesigned?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    In the past, when I talked to Pearl about problems with their throw offs, they simply recommend replacing them. I never used a SR-700, but I've had faulty SR-017, 015, and 900... but the replacements worked better. They are not that expensive to replace. I can tell you from experience, the iNDE is sleeker and smoother than the SR-017. The SR-150 you mentioned is also nice, but twice the list price of the SR-017. What year is your SR-017? In the 2018 price-list, Pearl lists the SR017 as "NEW"... it's been around forever, but maybe it was recently redesigned?
    I got the SR-017 replacement I have now in early 2018. Replaced the snare cords recently and the new Pearl orange cords are very stiff compared to the older cords. I don't think that would matter. Like I stated, what confuses me is after a few minutes of playing, they loosen quite a bit, and all I have to do is disengage the snare wires and engage them again and they are fine, without even touching the knob. Just to make sure, I will again take the throw off apart and look at it closer. I did mark the knob and for sure it is not slipping or are the snare cords.
    Last edited by Mountain; 03-05-2020 at 03:19 AM.

7. Registered User

I got the SR-017 replacement I have now in early 2018. Replaced the snare cords recently and the new Pearl orange cords are very stiff compared to the older cords. I don't think that would matter. Like I stated, what confuses me is after a few minutes of playing, they loosen quite a bit, and all I have to do is disengage the snare wires and engage them again and they are fine, without even touching the knob. Just to make sure, I will again take the throw off apart and look at it closer. I did mark the knob and for sure it is not slipping or are the snare cords.
    I purchased a new SR-150 Strainer and installed it today and it works excellent. The snare seems to actually sound better also.

8. Registered User

I purchased a new SR-150 Strainer and installed it today and it works excellent. The snare seems to actually sound better also.
    Does the hole pattern of the SR-017 fit for the SR-150? I thought about that replacement too, but I don‘t want to drill additional holes in the shell.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    Does the hole pattern of the SR-017 fit for the SR-150? I thought about that replacement too, but I don‘t want to drill additional holes in the shell.
    The SR-150 fits exactly the same hole pattern as the SR-017. The SR-150 really is a lot better strainer. Nothing has to be done!

10. Playing since 1976

I have the SR-150/SR-160 (for free-floaters) on all of my Pearl snares, except for one SR-017... they are nice throw offs!

Name:  fc1465scthrowoffsmall.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  oh1350c3small.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  57.1 KB
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE