Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bri6366 View Post
    Compared to Yamaha, a Reference kit is a custom order. No knock on Yamaha, they are great drums. Pearl Reference/Reference Pure has so many more options that it's prohibitive to stock anything but a few basic colors in chrome hardware.

    Edit- I haven't been on here much lately. What kit are you playing these days?
    I have been playing my matte black masters maple complete kit
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  2. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    I wish I could pull the trigger on this now, I have to get rid of my DW kit before I can do anything or wait till I can save up 4 grand. I am going to try to trade them back to DCP, what a huge disappointment DW is. Totally over rated overpriced drums. Now I understand why so many are up for sale on the used market.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  3. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I wish I could pull the trigger on this now, I have to get rid of my DW kit before I can do anything or wait till I can save up 4 grand. I am going to try to trade them back to DCP, what a huge disappointment DW is. Totally over rated overpriced drums. Now I understand why so many are up for sale on the used market.
    CUZNRED, sorry you feel the way you do about your Dee Dubs. I've never owned one of their kits but the only thing that ever impressed me about DW is their pricing. When I briefly worked for GC in '05 and set up several of their kits I was further unimpressed. Your comment speaks volumes. I was so disappointed when Richie Hayward ditched Pearl for DW. I know Keltner and so many others play them but they still leave me cold.
    Good luck on your Refs.

  4. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    CUZNRED, sorry you feel the way you do about your Dee Dubs. I've never owned one of their kits but the only thing that ever impressed me about DW is their pricing. When I briefly worked for GC in '05 and set up several of their kits I was further unimpressed. Your comment speaks volumes. I was so disappointed when Richie Hayward ditched Pearl for DW. I know Keltner and so many others play them but they still leave me cold.
    Good luck on your Refs.
    Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love this kit. It's beautiful to look at, but they are a ***** to tune and I feel like they go out of tune all the time as well. I spend more time tuning them than I do playing them. It sucks the joy right out of having them in the 1st place. My pearl masters mcts tuned right up and they stay in tune. Lesson learned, just because something costs more, doesn't mean it's better.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  5. Drummer since 1963

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love this kit. It's beautiful to look at, but they are a ***** to tune and I feel like they go out of tune all the time as well. I spend more time tuning them than I do playing them. It sucks the joy right out of having them in the 1st place. My pearl masters mcts tuned right up and they stay in tune. Lesson learned, just because something costs more, doesn't mean it's better.
    I've learned that one too.
    Tuning was my main gripe. PDP kits as well. Then, I'd set up a Tama kit or a Pearl and bam! NP on tuning. Gretsch were a little challenging but once you got in boy did they sing!
    I like the Performance kits when they came out. Surprised me.

  6. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    I've learned that one too.
    Tuning was my main gripe. PDP kits as well. Then, I'd set up a Tama kit or a Pearl and bam! NP on tuning. Gretsch were a little challenging but once you got in boy did they sing!
    I like the Performance kits when they came out. Surprised me.
    I thought the performance kits were good as well
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  7. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Looks like I am sol....... I refuse to buy a wrapped kit and 4-6 months on a non custom (stock) kit is too long a lead time for me. I can swallow 4-6 months on a completely custom masterworks that is built from the ground up. Why doesn't pearl do what yamaha usa does, and stock the most popular sizes and configurations in the US for reference pure/reference and Masters mct/mrv? Your leadtimes take you out of the competition
    We have to quote 4-6 months lead time just to be safe. It takes 30 days on the water but many special orders are received within 3-4 months which is quite normal (excluding Masterworks).


    KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

    PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

  8. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    We have to quote 4-6 months lead time just to be safe. It takes 30 days on the water but many special orders are received within 3-4 months which is quite normal (excluding Masterworks).
    Thanks for that info Al, I am going to place an order as soon as I have the funds. If I get something else, I am just gonna regret it. Can you get walnut lacquer on reference pure?
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  9. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Thanks for that info Al, I am going to place an order as soon as I have the funds. If I get something else, I am just gonna regret it. Can you get walnut lacquer on reference pure?
    Yes.


    KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

    PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

  10. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Yes.
    Ohhhhh, that would look slammin
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

  11. Pearl Corporation USA

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Pearl Corporation U.S.A. Nashville, TN
    Posts
    27,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Ohhhhh, that would look slammin
    I have a picture of it in Masters Maple Premium series.
    Attached Images Attached Images  


    KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

    PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

  12. Looks That Kill

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    4,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    I have a picture of it in Masters Maple Premium series.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •