Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Drum lug dimensions

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a small measurement which I cannot find anywhere on the internet.

What are the standard distances from the drum shell's surface to the center of the lug's tension rod receiver (for tom toms and bass drums)?
    See the attached image for clarification.

The reason is that I have a vintage Sonor Phonic kit, and I wish to add additional drums made from keller shells, preferably with the same Phonic hardware, but I have recently realized that contrary to the standards nowadays, those shells have exactly the same lugs on tom toms and bass drums. That means that either the toms are undersized, or the bass drum is a bit oversized, because all tension rods fit perfectly with modern counterhoops and there is no lug splay.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. old dog, new tricks

the lugs I put on my kit were all the same but the collar where the tension rod screwed in adjusted in and out to allow for use on kick drums or toms.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Registered User

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I can't seem to get an answer on this:
    I wanted to try out a hex nut to secure these 2-3 tension rods (that come under the stick strokes) from detuning, link below. However, after googling, I am now unsure what hex nut is the right size for this 7/32 tension rod? Plz help
    https://stdrums.com/en/c/hardware/te...-7-32-standard

4. a.k.a. YtseJam

It's a bit pricey, but I think this would be easiest for you:
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/bg/pearl..._lock_nuts.htm

These lock nuts have the same 5.5mm (7/32") thread size as normal drum tuning rods.

5. Registered User

I just want the regular hardware-store hex nuts, could it be that they exist in this thread size?

6. a.k.a. YtseJam

They do, but only in the imperial measuring world. Once I found a Canadian site that carries them but they wouldn’t ship to Europe.