Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    879

    Default Sealing Bearing Edges

    I had the bearing edges re-cut on my toms by Precision Drum Company a few months ago. They didn't seal the bearing edges and I want to know what to use to do them? If anyone has done this before I would appreciate some input.

  2. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,279

    Default

    natural bees wax is an excellent sealer for bearing edges and help the heads seat better. I try to re-apply some every time I change the heads.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Drum dial sells a bearing edge conditioner
    Session prestige select 14x 12 tom Shell with badge Teal available

    Diamond Burst MMX 4 Sale Black hardware 12,14,16,22 PM

  4. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Thanks for the information

  5. formerly TubCrusher

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    I spray sanding sealer onto a cotton rag and wipe on the edges. I also apply wax before putting on a drumhead...
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

    My Dirty Little Collection..

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
    I spray sanding sealer onto a cotton rag and wipe on the edges. I also apply wax before putting on a drumhead...
    That works
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

    18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

    2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

    16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

  7. CUZNRED
    #7
    Guest

    Default

    I have a kit that needs some additional sanding on the edges. What grit sandpaper should I use??

  8. formerly TubCrusher

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Depends on how aggressive you want to attack it...
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

    My Dirty Little Collection..

  9. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I have a kit that needs some additional sanding on the edges. What grit sandpaper should I use??
    120 is a good start for general use and I would go lightly. No need to go heavier or anything higher than 150.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

  10. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I cut my edges then go over them with 320 and then 400. If you have any drums with sharp edges, 320 and 400 can start to impact them, so just be sure you dont breach that apex. You can go right up to it but dont run over the top. Overall, sanding edges isn't a hard thing to and isnt something you should worry about too much. It's just wood and it stands like other wood sands.

  11. CUZNRED
    #11
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    120 is a good start for general use and I would go lightly. No need to go heavier or anything higher than 150.
    Thank you!

  12. CUZNRED
    #12
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    I cut my edges then go over them with 320 and then 400. If you have any drums with sharp edges, 320 and 400 can start to impact them, so just be sure you dont breach that apex. You can go right up to it but dont run over the top. Overall, sanding edges isn't a hard thing to and isnt something you should worry about too much. It's just wood and it stands like other wood sands.
    Thank you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •