Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default My Mapex Saturns - first time setting up as 3-up 1-down toms

So my drums almost never move from my basement studio, but I recently had PDF member SpaceJeff over to record his handbuilt stave drums, so my kit had to be taken down for the first time in 3 years.

After Jeff's drums were taken down, I decided to try out a 3-up, 1-down setup for the first time. Just finished piecing it all together, and tomorrow once the family's awake I'll have a chance to try out playing it. Took some fiddling to get everything where they were comfortable, but here it is!

Mapex Saturn III
    10", 12", 13", 16" toms, 22" kick. Snare and Aux Snare are more handbuilt stave drums by SpaceJeff.

Name:  IMG_7653.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_7657.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_7658.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  102.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_7659.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  130.5 KB

2. Registered User

One more wide shot.

Name:  IMG_7660.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  83.4 KB

3. Registered User

Nice. I just recently put my Saturn's as a 3 up 2 down setup. Been a long time since I have played a 3 up kit but it feels good to have that 3rd time in the ride position. Of course it is a bit odd having to move the ride higher, but overall it works really well for fast fills between the rack and floor toms.

4. A Passion Play ...

Sweet kit. Great setup. Awesome studio space.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
    Nice. I just recently put my Saturn's as a 3 up 2 down setup. Been a long time since I have played a 3 up kit but it feels good to have that 3rd time in the ride position. Of course it is a bit odd having to move the ride higher, but overall it works really well for fast fills between the rack and floor toms.
    For me the ride is around the same height, but rotated further around to the right side. I was previously playing 2-up, 2-down, with the ride out more in front/right of me. I got some play time in on it today and so far I'm not too sure about the layout. I think I just need some time to adapt. It looks cool but doesn't feel comfortable yet.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sweet kit. Great setup. Awesome studio space.
    Thanks. It's been a long time in the making.

7. old dog, new tricks

I finally convinced you! Of course, I love that layout but have never had to put a 12" and 13" next to each other as my set up was 8", 10", 12" which is easier to position. I feel pretty comfortable with the ride more in front or also at the side.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    I finally convinced you! Of course, I love that layout but have never had to put a 12" and 13" next to each other as my set up was 8", 10", 12" which is easier to position. I feel pretty comfortable with the ride more in front or also at the side.
    Yea, I was thinking that an ideal setup would be 8/10/12 across the top, and 14/16 floortoms. 18" floor would be cool too, but the 16 is so thunderous already that I'm not sure it would be necessary. Plus, an 18 next to a 16 would be getting pretty awkward to reach.

My 13" really feels like the awkward stepchild drum. If I can find an 8" in my finish (if it even exists?), then I'd probably do away with the 13".

9. Music Lover

That is my kind of drum set: Mapex and Sabian. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman ><>

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex Saturn (snare, bass drum, and toms); Mapex MPX (snare); Sabian AA, AAX, HHX, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army