After considerations, I have purchased the following:

10 and 12 Aquarian Studio X Clear for toms
    14 Aquarian performance 2 w/dot for floor tom
    20 Aquarian Super Kick 2
    13 Remo Emperor X coated with black dot for snare

I am looking forward to hear what comes out in the wash

Exteme shout to Matt (D4L) for making me jump
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post
    After considerations, I have purchased the following:

10 and 12 Aquarian Studio X Clear for toms
    14 Aquarian performance 2 w/dot for floor tom
    20 Aquarian Super Kick 2
    13 Remo Emperor X coated with black dot for snare

I am looking forward to hear what comes out in the wash

Exteme shout to Matt (D4L) for making me jump
    Why the REMO snare head? Those Emporer x heads last for 5 minutes. Should have gotten the Aquarian High Energy. Name:  1223B51F-B41E-44D1-9F4F-803C27BD3C26.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  33.0 KB

I use to use the High Energy, Response 2’s and Superkick 2’s at one time. Name:  C7F36AC4-3376-4DC2-9518-798DB0FB0FA8.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  40.5 KBName:  C7F36AC4-3376-4DC2-9518-798DB0FB0FA8.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB
    Pearl Reference Drums - Zildjian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5

3. Experienced Noob

I am not saying you will be dissatisfied with your choices. I am just providing some options in case you feel not so pleased with your choices this time.

If you feel the Super Kick 2 sucks too much tone from your kick, try a Super Kick 1. You will get the same basic sound, but with more resonance. You will need to use a bass drum patch, though, or you will most likely dent the single ply head. After years of using Aquarian kick patches I switched to Evans' AF patches. They seem just as durable and are thinner than Aquarian Kick Patches without being too thin. After trying so many combinations i have settled in to Super Kick 1 batters and Regulator resos on my kick. I am getting exactly the amount of slap, punch, and tone I am looking for from my kick with that combination.

On toms I like both Classic Clears and Response 2s as batters. The Classic Clears as batters will give you maximum resonance while the Response 2s give a little more control than the Classic Clears but more resonance than the Performance 2s you bought. I've not used Clear Studio Xs on toms so I don't know what to expect for sure from those but I suspect they fall between Classic Clears & Response 2s in terms of resonance so if you feel your drums sing too little try Classic Clears next time and if they sing too much, try Response 2s. Currently, I have Classic Clears on top & bottom of my mounted & floor toms but next head change I will use Response 2s for floor batters to control some of the resonance. I just feel like my floors are singing a bit too much in recordings using Classic Clears on top.

Coated Studio Xs are my go to snare batter heads. They just have the perfect amount of dampening & their coating can't be beaten for feel & durability. For the snare side, I feel like the Hi Performance is king of the hill.

There are so many options to choose from with each bringing unique tones. Hopefully this post helps you understand a few of the choices available to you. Whatever you choose, I think you will find Aquarian heads to be just as or more durable than the other big head makers' options and their manufacturing to be extremely consistent.

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    Why the REMO snare head? Those Emporer x heads last for 5 minutes. Should have gotten the Aquarian High Energy. Name:  1223B51F-B41E-44D1-9F4F-803C27BD3C26.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  33.0 KB

I use to use the High Energy, Response 2’s and Superkick 2’s at one time. Name:  C7F36AC4-3376-4DC2-9518-798DB0FB0FA8.jpg
Size:  40.5 KBName:  C7F36AC4-3376-4DC2-9518-798DB0FB0FA8.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB
    Those tom heads don't look like Response 2s... what are they? I hope that's not what I ordered.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Those tom heads don't look like Response 2s... what are they? I hope that's not what I ordered.
    Those are Performance 2’s. Produce a really deep tone with a lot of punch. Designed for loose tuning.

https://youtu.be/SWRLPGSt0WE

6. Experienced Noob

Those are very much not what you ordered. They are more or less Aquarian's equivalent to Remo Pinstripes or Evans Hydraulics. I used them for years on some pearl late 80s Exports I had. I wouldn't use them on today's quality drums but as with Pinstripes & Hydraulics they have their place.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I am not saying you will be dissatisfied with your choices. I am just providing some options in case you feel not so pleased with your choices this time.

If you feel the Super Kick 2 sucks too much tone from your kick, try a Super Kick 1. You will get the same basic sound, but with more resonance. You will need to use a bass drum patch, though, or you will most likely dent the single ply head. After years of using Aquarian kick patches I switched to Evans' AF patches. They seem just as durable and are thinner than Aquarian Kick Patches without being too thin. After trying so many combinations i have settled in to Super Kick 1 batters and Regulator resos on my kick. I am getting exactly the amount of slap, punch, and tone I am looking for from my kick with that combination.

On toms I like both Classic Clears and Response 2s as batters. The Classic Clears as batters will give you maximum resonance while the Response 2s give a little more control than the Classic Clears but more resonance than the Performance 2s you bought. I've not used Clear Studio Xs on toms so I don't know what to expect for sure from those but I suspect they fall between Classic Clears & Response 2s in terms of resonance so if you feel your drums sing too little try Classic Clears next time and if they sing too much, try Response 2s. Currently, I have Classic Clears on top & bottom of my mounted & floor toms but next head change I will use Response 2s for floor batters to control some of the resonance. I just feel like my floors are singing a bit too much in recordings using Classic Clears on top.

Coated Studio Xs are my go to snare batter heads. They just have the perfect amount of dampening & their coating can't be beaten for feel & durability. For the snare side, I feel like the Hi Performance is king of the hill.

There are so many options to choose from with each bringing unique tones. Hopefully this post helps you understand a few of the choices available to you. Whatever you choose, I think you will find Aquarian heads to be just as or more durable than the other big head makers' options and their manufacturing to be extremely consistent.
    Thank you so much Mike. I wish I'd seen this post prior to purchase. From what I gathered from online research the clear Studio X can be quite versatile but you do have to spend a bit of time to get to that sweet spot.
    I went with Performance 2 on floor tom coz I do a lot of floor tom based intros of mid sections and that was recommended for it.

I have never ever found a snare head that made me as happy as the ones I found in Remo. Even Evans. So since I m due to hit the studio this weekend I went with safety first in mind.

Really appreciate your response tho Mike that his brilliant ans you are right, one thing that jumps at you straightaway with Aquarian is the multiple choices an combination you can get to.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I wouldn't use them on today's quality drums but as with Pinstripes & Hydraulics they have their place.
    They actually sound really good on the Reference kits. Especially in live situations. Very easy for the sound guys to dial in.

9. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post
    Thank you so much Mike. I wish I'd seen this post prior to purchase. From what I gathered from online research the clear Studio X can be quite versatile but you do have to spend a bit of time to get to that sweet spot.
    I went with Performance 2 on floor tom coz I do a lot of floor tom based intros of mid sections and that was recommended for it.

I have never ever found a snare head that made me as happy as the ones I found in Remo. Even Evans. So since I m due to hit the studio this weekend I went with safety first in mind.

Really appreciate your response tho Mike that his brilliant ans you are right, one thing that jumps at you straightaway with Aquarian is the multiple choices an combination you can get to.
    I recommend you keep an open mind when it comes to snare drum heads. What works for one snare, won't always work for another. I love the Evans Genera Coated batter head for many snare drums, but it makes others just sound dead. That's when I need a plain G1 coated, Ambassador coated, Coated Controlled Sounds, or my current favorite... UV1. It's good to have options, especially when you're working with different snare drums.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Registered User

I recommend you keep an open mind when it comes to snare drum heads. What works for one snare, won't always work for another. I love the Evans Genera Coated batter head for many snare drums, but it makes others just sound dead. That's when I need a plain G1 coated, Ambassador coated, Coated Controlled Sounds, or my current favorite... UV1. It's good to have options, especially when you're working with different snare drums.
    Totally agree with that. I am sure I will eventually look deeper into Aquarian for snare.
    Buddy Rich

11. Registered User

Oh I just thought of another question for you guys

What do you use as a tuning lock on you snare's tension rod!
    Buddy Rich

12. old dog, new tricks

I've always been a Remo coated Ambassador guy and nothing else seems to sound as good to me. That's probably not that helpful
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread