Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Red face **** Drumheads query ****

Hey Team,

I am usually pretty switched on when it comes to anything to do with drums and gear but I thought that I would ask the class room to participate here:

I am due to hit the studio for our 4th record and I am going to change all my head on my Tama SC B/B. The shells are Hyperdrive (10; 12; 14. Snare is 13 bass drum is 20) and the style is Atmospheric post rock / rock ( if you are interested in hearing what we do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNS6_OOy5Ck)

I like versatile / durability / wide tuning range.

Let me know you thoughts team and thanks in advance
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

2. Looks That Kill

I have always been a remo guy, my go to set up is always clear emperors batter side for the toms over clear ambassadors. For kick, clear ps3 batter side, smooth white ps3 reso side. Nothing inside the kick with a 4 inch or smaller port. That kick drum will be punchy as all get out
    Side Kick Custom (Keller Shells) Dark Walnut
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I have always been a remo guy, my go to set up is always clear emperors batter side for the toms over clear ambassadors. For kick, clear ps3 batter side, smooth white ps3 reso side. Nothing inside the kick with a 4 inch or smaller port. That kick drum will be punchy as all get out
    Thanks man. Really appreciate your in put. Funny I have always been an Evans dude myself but keento see what remo has on offer. What style do you play man?
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way"
    Buddy Rich

4. Miles Gibbons

The Evans UV1 are amazing... they've got the durability of a two ply head, in my experience. They also sound great at a wide variety of tensions.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MilesAway View Post
    The Evans UV1 are amazing... they've got the durability of a two ply head, in my experience. They also sound great at a wide variety of tensions.
    Thanks for that, I will investigate, so far i am leaning towards the remo PS3's
    Buddy Rich

6. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by ocdrums View Post
    Thanks for that, I will investigate, so far i am leaning towards the remo PS3's
    What's on the toms in the recording?

I'm looking to possibly switch from coated emperors to something a little brighter on my full Bubinga.

I was thinking something in the realm of a suede ambassador/emperor or an Evans UV1
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post

I'm looking to possibly switch from coated emperors to something a little brighter on my full Bubinga.

I was thinking something in the realm of a suede ambassador/emperor or an Evans UV1
    I find coated heads on toms muffle them too much. Definity good for floor toms tho
    Buddy Rich

8. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post

I recently replaced head on my concert toms and timbale with Aquarian Classic Clears... and I love them so much, I decided to try Aquarian on my rack toms... Response 2 over Classic Clear... basically the same as Emperor over Ambassador or G2 over G1... BUT the Aquarian heads are REALLY CLEAR... top and bottom!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. Registered User

For the studio and those hyperdrive toms that really like to sing, I’d recommend the Evans EC2 clears. I’ve been using these heads for 10 years. I tried them all. These are what I stuck with. Check out some reviews on them.
    Pearl Reference Drums - Zildjian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I recently replaced head on my concert toms and timbale with Aquarian Classic Clears... and I love them so much, I decided to try Aquarian on my rack toms... Response 2 over Classic Clear... basically the same as Emperor over Ambassador or G2 over G1... BUT the Aquarian heads are REALLY CLEAR... top and bottom!
    Recently I've heard nothing but great comments about Aquarian heads. Heard that they don't wrinkle around the edges of the collar like other heads and are very well made, better than Remo and Evans. I really like Remo but their inconsistent quality is frustrating as far as tuning because they don't sit flat on the bearing edges.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    For the studio and those hyperdrive toms that really like to sing, I’d recommend the Evans EC2 clears. I’ve been using these heads for 10 years. I tried them all. These are what I stuck with. Check out some reviews on them.
    That's what I always used too, but I am quite keen on Aquarian as it is the only ones I have not yet tried and if it s good enough for Matt (D4L) its good enough for me
    Buddy Rich

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Sold! I am going to try Aquarians plus the shop that sells them is less than a minute walk from work.
    Buddy Rich