Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

The designs def seem dated to me. I was largely absent from drumming from late 90's - 2011. I missed the whole "I wanna be Travis" movement, I guess.

2. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I would say that anyone who actually bought one of those riDICulous kits back in the day is probably keeping them for nostalgia reasons. And the fact that they’re basically worthless at this point. What adult is laying down $ for a three-piece with a 22x24 kick with neon green offset lugs, a 13x4 pancake rack tom and a 16x8 floor tom. All featuring Cadillac logos custom-painted on the shells. Oh and no hardware because OCDP never got around to making any.

HARD PASS.
    For real. I feel like most of those dinky "Custom" companies are overhyped drums for people that still think My Chemical Romance is a good band. They're drums for immature drummers.

You're spending $5K for a 3 piece kit that's basically keller shells with a stupid paint job and pot metal hardware. I can think of a certain 3 letter company that's basically copied that business model to a T, and is just as annoying.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

3. Pearl Corporation USA

Back in 2001, I jumped on the OCDP 20-ply vented snare craze. I was living and working in California at that time and drove down to pick up my snare. Back in 2001, OCDP worked out of a tiny industrial rental space just outside Anaheim, CA. I paid $1050.00 for the 20-ply snare, kept it for a little over a year (played a few gigs with it) and sold it to a Las Vegas strip drummer for $900.00 a little over a year and a half later. This was prior to OCDP going the cheaper GC route.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

4. Now With More "Whiz"

Your kitchen looks amazing. The drum, well...

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    Was literally just about to post that. Lol
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Pearl Corporation USA

The kitchen was even a better story than the snare! Maybe I'll post it.

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

7. Now With More "Whiz"

Considering it appears to have more ovens than my local appliance store, do tell...

8. Pearl Corporation USA

Considering it appears to have more ovens than my local appliance store, do tell...
    Ok here we go.........

When my brother and I were around 7 or 8, we used to go over to my grandparents apartment every Friday. My mother was divorced and my dad had left so we'd visit my grandparents on Fridays. My grandmother in the late 60's threw "high ball" parties for her friends and relatives. We were too young to know what that was all about, but her friends and relatives would come over and play cards drink and have fun. We had a uncle Julian who was in the Korean war. He used to come over play cards, drink bourbon etc, always nice and friendly with us show us card games and keep us involved in their fun. His best buddy was killed a few days before he was discharged from the army. So we'd see two different Julian's when we were young. Sometimes he'd come to the parties as a suave and sophisticated well dressed the life of the party type of guy. Some times he'd ring my grandparents apartment dressed up in his army fatigues complete with bayonet and he'd search each room of my grandparents apartment. I can remember my grandfather would say "Julian be careful, the boys are here!". He'd search around and then leave. At the time we thought it was a game and we actually thought it was fun. In no way did we ever think we were in danger. We saw this maybe 10-15 times. We were never afraid, and he ever hurt us or my grandparents.

Step ahead 30 years. I'm married living in North Bay area of San Francisco. One day, my wife says "you have something from Wells Fargo better one it." to my surprise it is a letter saying please call Wells Fargo agent blah blah blah..... I call them and it was a Agent saying we were named in a will (from a conservator over the estate of Julian). At first I didn't recognize the name, but when I called the agent told me you and your brother were left $100K (to split) and they were trying to get a hold of my brother. I remember thinking it must be some mistake. When I ask her who Julian was, she said he was a uncle on my grandfathers side. I remember asking "Was he ever in the Korean war? and she answered Yes. At that point, the lightbulb went on and it took me right back to the parties and I immediately remembered.

Anyway, I was on business in Boston and my wife was stressing over how much it was going to cost us to remodel the kitchen and I told her "use the Julian check".

That is what you see in the kitchen - true story and thanks again Uncle Julian.

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

9. Now With More "Whiz"

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing...

10. Pearl Corporation USA

I really killed the OCDP thread huh?

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

11. Drumming Since 1943

That’s an AWESOME story Al.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    I really killed the OCDP thread huh?
    Probably for the best.
    Way Too Much Crap