Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Nah, that's Dale's signature steal-yo-gurl stare. Buddy behind you has your matching pants though.
    That's what I'd wear the shirt with the pants. Throw in some brown house slippers and boom, monochromatic!

2. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse the pants, the shirt, the hair or the hard serious pout. So glad you left the biz and turned out normal Dale.
    It was interesting experience. I did it for ****s & giggles. I was approached on the street. I never thought of doing it, but the money was good for the short window I did it.

I respect the designers. There’s a true art to the whole thing. My problem was the people who surrounded it. Some of these models took themselves so seriously and were so full of themselves. I got to the point where I called one of them out in a backdoor way telling him we were nothing but walking clothes hangers. That took him out of it for a minute, but ultimately his ego stood strong.

Many of what they call dressers are pretty miserable. They are young designers putting in their time in the industry by making sure our outfits fit properly. They also assist us getting ready for a show. The changing of the outfits has to be fast if you are doing a few in one show. The problem was they didn’t want to be there. They wanted it to be their show and either they hadn’t gotten their break or they simply weren’t good enough. We as musicians know how that feels.

They put the models down. I can see how some models, especially young girls, can get crushed by these guys. Fortunately, though they picked on me to the point of attempted destruction, I never gave a **** because I took it as an easy paying joke.

I had a makeup artist calling my birthmark on my face a rash, even after I corrected him he yelled across the room so everyone could hear him, “Jonathan! Can you help me cover up this rash on this kid’s face?”

I had a person say to me, “I don’t know, honey. You’re going to have to workout or something because you’re not filling in the suit.” I all but laughed.

This incredibly muscular model getting fitted next to me said not worry about as he was always told he needed to slim down. I politely told him I wasn’t by letting him know where this whole thing fit in my life.

I can understand why so many women feel threatened in the industry. There was one photo shoot that was so uncomfortable I was looking for an exit if I had found myself needing to escape. I felt the photographer and his dresser were touching me in ways that were inappropriate. Afterwards I mentioned this to my agent, who was a former model himself, and he just said it was the way the industry was and if I wanted to be in it, I had to accept it. It was then I started to back out.

9/11 really put the industry in its place. It humbled so many involved as they knew other than money there was nothing truly valuable.

https://youtu.be/KcKJE6aYamc
    Last edited by dale w miller; 12-05-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Grammar

3. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    That satin HW will be on its way out soon.
    What other pearl product will you be replacing it with?

Dan wins.
    You'll figure out eventually that I know all, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    good grief, I thought this thread was about OCDP and how overpriced they were.
    When it was shown that an almost 2-decade old OCDP loses as much value as a day-old Pearl Masterworks, **** went off the rails...

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    You guess OCDP doesn’t interest people as they did in the past here.
    ... or this
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Not sure. Gotta get the current one listed first.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. NO KIT TOO BIG

Not sure. Gotta get the current one listed first.
    Don't do it!

You own a beauty of a kit, and no doubt will regret it in years to come
    Pearl, Natal, Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland, Premier Drums
    Zildjian, Sabian, Zyn Cymbals
    PEARL, LUDWIG, TAMA, YAMAHA, NATAL and DW Snares

Roland, Dauz, FAT KAT and Koby Electronics, and loads of Percussion

4 Kits and 8 Snares, and I still don't have enough!

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Don't do it!

Considering how proud he’s been of it over the years, I agree.

7. Registered User

Don't do it! You own a beauty of a kit, and no doubt will regret it in years to come
    Unless you're getting a kit with as many pieces you're going to miss the options.

I think I recall you saying you weren't 100% happy with the birch or was interested in a maple kit or maple blend kit.

Maybe not. It is a beauty kit for sure.

8. Registered User

Hey, Dale. The insight on the modeling was interesting but none to surprising. It's cool they " discovered " you.

And I was just razzing you. You look quite dapper .

They'd told me to work out and make my self 6' instead of 5'8 !

9. Drumming Since 1943

Don't do it!

Honestly, as much as I LOVE the look of the drums, I've never much cottoned to their sound. It's not "bad" per se, it's just never been pleasing to my ears.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Hey, Dale. The insight on the modeling was interesting but none to surprising. It's cool they " discovered " you.

And I was just razzing you. You look quite dapper .

They'd told me to work out and make my self 6' instead of 5'8 !
    I know. The discovery was weird. When I called the owner was too excited. We met, which I thought was going to be some mass calling, it was just him and me chatting about personal stuff. He was a great guy to work with, but he could tell I was losing interest. I left on good terms.

Honestly, as much as I LOVE the look of the drums, I've never much cottoned to their sound. It's not "bad" per se, it's just never been pleasing to my ears.
    I’m not a fan of birch drums, especially heavy ones which Pearl tends to be. They do look great though.

11. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

I've been through that path as well. Birch is inviting in that it's a more affordable option for a high-end kit. But that pearl six-ply has a tingy deadness to them that doesn't exist in thinner-ply maple. I'll say they record well, however. Put them through a PA and they'll sound like pretty much any other kit on stage - loud with a bass drum that could give CPR

You've got a hardon for satin, though. Weird to read about you getting rid of it.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

12. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Throw in some brown house slippers and boom, monochromatic!
    Mr. Sepia over here.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    You've got a hardon for satin, though. Weird to read about you getting rid of it.
    I bet he could sell that satin hardware for a premium, if he had the wherewithal to replace it and do so.