Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Default So how did OCDP stand the test of time?

When I was first on here well over 15 years, the forum felt like the only drummers out there were two guys I never thought twice about in Travis and Joey. Like how endorsements or at least simply playing a particular brand have worked since the days of Gene Krups and Buddy Rich, OCDP rose to the brand almost anyone under 20 years old wanted. It was their dream kit and with some of them costing what felt like $5K for a 3 piece, they were pretty much out of reach for their fans.

Itís now that their fans are well over 30 and have money, yet I donít see an OCDP kit in sight other than those entry level kits that they foolishly came out with too late. Late to where other companies started cloning OCDPís custom line and their fans were now in their 20ís with a little bit of money and smart just enough they realized they could get pretty much the same kit from a different company at almost half the price.

Now these kids have real money and these kits are no where to be found. Iím not talking about the company itself, but these ridiculous over the top custom kits simply in the used market place.

Where do they stand in holding their value? Iím guessing nowhere near the $5K they spent on them? What do you guys think?

Like I thought back then, I donít see them ever holding any sort of value equal to that of Ringo & Bonhamís Ludwig and Peart & Copelandís Tama brands they helped make popular.

2. Registered User

What's OCDP? A drum brand?

3. Now With More "Whiz"

Yes, OCDP (Orange County Drum and Percussion) is a drum brand.

If I recall correctly, they ran into some financial and/or IRS issues a while back and Guitar Center ended up buying them, or licensing their name. Not sure which option would be a worse fate.

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post

If I recall correctly, they ran into some financial and/or IRS issues a while back and Guitar Center ended up buying them, or licensing their name. Not sure which option would be a worse fate.
    Definitely guitar center buying you.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post

That’s definitely what happened and I blame a huge part of that being financially unreachable by their fans. Like some many major manufacturers, they should have had entry and mid level lines during their heyday of the early to mid 00’s. Like the majors, they would have built the clientele to where now they can afford the top of the line custom kit they always wished they had.

Regardless of these poor business decisions, where are the used kits on the market? Are they worth anything to anybody?

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    That’s definitely what happened and I blame a huge part of that being financially unreachable by their fans. Like some many major manufacturers, they should have had entry and mid level lines during their heyday of the early to mid 00’s. Like the majors, they would have built the clientele to where now they can afford the top of the line custom kit they always wished they had.

Regardless of these poor business decisions, where are the used kits on the market? Are they worth anything to anybody?
    I'd wager that some of the more "normal" kits could have a secondary market. No where near $5K I'm sure, but they are well made keller shells after all.

As for the ones with the neon colors, offset lugs, and obnoxious sizes, I doubt very many of those are worth anything to anyone in today's world.

7. Drumming Since 1943

I would say that anyone who actually bought one of those riDICulous kits back in the day is probably keeping them for nostalgia reasons. And the fact that they’re basically worthless at this point. What adult is laying down $ for a three-piece with a 22x24 kick with neon green offset lugs, a 13x4 pancake rack tom and a 16x8 floor tom. All featuring Cadillac logos custom-painted on the shells. Oh and no hardware because OCDP never got around to making any.

HARD PASS.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Registered User

Thatís definitely what happened and I blame a huge part of that being financially unreachable by their fans. Like some many major manufacturers, they should have had entry and mid level lines during their heyday of the early to mid 00ís. Like the majors, they would have built the clientele to where now they can afford the top of the line custom kit they always wished they had.

I see custom OCDPs come up for sale from time to time on Craigslist and the asking price is always ludicrously high. The seller always raves about how unique the kit is and how long it's served them. They should sell for nothing more than the parts are worth in used condition. No different than someone selling an old Export.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

9. Registered User

"Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

10. Unban nik12

Travis still uses OCDP, not sure who’s building them at this point, though. I almost bought a 14x6.5 20-ply snare with the big port holes a couple months ago but it ended up getting sold before I could get the scratch. Fun fact, Abe Cunningham used one of those for White Pony, definitely a snare sound a lot of people have tried to mimic.

11. Now With More "Whiz"

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I dunno'. If it includes everything pictured (drums, pedals, stands, cymbals and cases) $3k isn't too far out of line; although I still wouldn't pay that much. If just drums, cases and tom arms, then yes, it is way overpriced.

Edit: Never Mind...just reread the ad and it doesn't include cymbals, pedals, hardware (other than tom arms) or rack. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $3k for that.
    Last edited by Cheez_Whiz; 11-15-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: I need to read more thoroughly...

12. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Where do they stand in holding their value? Iím guessing nowhere near the $5K they spent on them? What do you guys think?
    Why think?

OCDP Acrylic snare built in 2005, sold in 2019
    Per OCDP price list*, would have been about $1,120 in 2005 and sold for $500 in 2019, a 55% drop.

*per OCDP when they operated, "There is a 25% discount off of the list price when you order direct. The discount does not apply to the options list."

OCDP 20-ply snare built in 2002, sold in 2019

Per OCDP price list*, would have been about $1,197 in 2002 and sold for $700 in 2019, a 42% drop.

OCDP Full kit, 24/12/16/18, 2002
    Per OCDP price list*, would have been about $3,830 in 2002 and sold for $1000 in 2019, a 74% hit.

For comparison sake:

2019 Masterworks kit 22/10/12/16 driven off the lot
    Per 2018 price list has a list price of $9,647, so a street price of approx $5,788, and sold for $3,500, a 40% drop in zero years.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.