Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Registered User

Snare sounds very close to that Brown sound. And as mentioned, good playing.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrum View Post
    snare sound is close, but I still hear a crisp snare response. In my opinion, AVH didn't have that; the snare almost sounded like a cranked up tom sometimes. Cool that you are going to try the bottom head idea. Also, from what I've heard, AVH had LOTS of tension on drum heads. I corresponded with a couple Nashville drummers that got to play his 2015 tour kit at a benefit, they said the batter heads were so tight, the stick response was compromised.

Nice playing btw.

check out this video, about 1/2 way through
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaBSwlAoe1Q
    Cranking the head that tight wont damage the lugs or threads will it? I know to Alex these are nothing but i paid over 500 for this Supraphonic and heads\hoops
    Pearl Sessions Studio Classic in Red Sequia
    all Paiste PST7 medium weight cymbals 18, 19 crashes, 20 ride, 14 hi hats

Ludwig Classic in Cherry lacquer
    all Zildjian A Series Medium Thin 18, 20 crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi hats

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by broken_sticks84 View Post
    Cranking the head that tight wont damage the lugs or threads will it? I know to Alex these are nothing but i paid over 500 for this Supraphonic and heads\hoops
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggest harming the drum. Perhaps experiment and maybe tune a little higher than what you normally do, and see how that sounds.

4. Registered User

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest harming the drum. Perhaps experiment and maybe tune a little higher than what you normally do, and see how that sounds.
    no no i didnt mean you were suggesting that i just wondered if that would do anything bad? i was listening to "A Different Kind of Truth" today and kinda liked how that snare sounded. watching a video his drum tech said that album was recorded using a Supraphonic. i think i read the first 2 albums were recorded with a Super Sensitive snare then he switched to the TAMA Rosewood?

all Zildjian A Series Medium Thin 18, 20 crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi hats

5. Rogue Ex-Mod

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i recall reading 90's interview of alex van halen's where said he utilized duct tape (gaffers tape) in a grid pattern on the under side of his snare drums batter head (i used to to the this for those god awful export snares from the same era ) it KILLED your unwanted overtones, but also made the drum sound like a drum sample ..lol which is what he was going for at the time...(this was the "1984..to the uo812" era and little later ,...right up till the the "right now ".. era lol)

so my advise is get an old batter head and experiment .
    Yeah I came here to say "If you want the Alex Van Halen sound, get a bunch of duct tape and stick it on your batter head" because that's what he actually did for a time.

I think his sound is a lot more tight and controlled than Bonham's sound. John got a big, open sound out of his drums where as Alex is clearly trying to cut down on ring and overtones as much as possible.

In terms of chasing a snare sound... sometimes it works. I remember a couple years back I was looking at my super old Ludwig Rocker 14x6.5 snare and trying to decide what to do with it. I ended up watching a bunch of videos on how to tune a snare like Bonham and after about 4 hours of researching, tuning, snare adjusting, and strategic Moongel placing I got it REALLY close and it felt very rewarding. I wish you luck!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

6. Registered User

snare sound is close, but I still hear a crisp snare response. In my opinion, AVH didn't have that; the snare almost sounded like a cranked up tom sometimes. Cool that you are going to try the bottom head idea. Also, from what I've heard, AVH had LOTS of tension on drum heads. I corresponded with a couple Nashville drummers that got to play his 2015 tour kit at a benefit, they said the batter heads were so tight, the stick response was compromised.

Nice playing btw.

check out this video, about 1/2 way through
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaBSwlAoe1Q
    So has Alex always used an Emperor X head? Or is that a Controlled Sound head i cant really tell? Im pretty sure he uses Emperor X now. I actually watched that video a while back and i fell in love with the sound of that snare. Of course i could never afford that Rosewood snare

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by broken_sticks84 View Post
    So has Alex always used an Emperor X head? Or is that a Controlled Sound head i cant really tell? Im pretty sure he uses Emperor X now. I actually watched that video a while back and i fell in love with the sound of that snare. Of course i could never afford that Rosewood snare
    Well, the Emperor X is a fairly new offering from Remo; it didn't exist for the majority of the VH catalog. I think he applied lots of gaffers tape to a CS head, and he has used some wood shell snares; most notably Rosewood. But if you watch the 1989 Live in Japan video closely, he's got 8x14 Tama Artstar or Superstar snares. I happen to have an Artstar, and I got it sounding fairly close with the thicker bottom head.

Watch the beginning of this for a sound sample; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJHwi44LZ4&t=122s