Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default achieving Alex Van Halen snare sound

i know this is a Pearl forum but alot of people post other companies here so i thought i would try.

im trying to achieve the snare sound Alex Van Halen uses. i missed out on his signature edition snare and not spending 2000+ on one. doing my research i have bought so far

Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum 6.5x14
    REMO Controlled Sound Black Dot batter head
    REMO Ambassador snare side
    Gibraltor 42 strand snare
    die-cast hoops 10 lug
    tube style lugs x10 (Drum-Factory Direct)

are the tube style lugs essential to the sound or is it just aesthetics? i ask because the lugs i have are not Ludwig lugs since the official one are 200 bucks so i went with a cheaper option with Drum-Factory Direct 2 3/16 tube lugs which fit perfect on the drum however the tension rods give alot of resistance going in and wont turn by hand. i went back to the Imperial style lugs in order to turn by finger so i could tune the drum. i also know he tapes up the underside of the batter head alot so i got some duct tape instead of Gaffers tape since my local hardware store does not carry that tape

any advice to my questions would be appreciated
    Ludwig Element Sunburst 2 22 kick, 10, 12, 16 toms, 14 Supraphonic snare Zildjian A Series 16, 17, 18, 20 Medium Thin crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi hats

Pearl Session Studio Classic, Paiste Pst-7

2. Now With More "Whiz"

What era AVH sound are you chasing? Earlier stuff or newer stuff?

I'm no AVH historian, but simply Googling "How does Alex Van Halen achieve his snare drum sound?" bought up several informative hits (too many to post links here).

From what it sounds like, your specs should/could get you close. Are you running die-cast hoops or flanged hoops? Also, as far as gaffer's tape, it sounds like he used/uses a lot of it.

The real question is, have you ever heard his snare played live without mics and processing? All sorts of things can be done in the studio (and live) to completely alter how a drum actually sounds. He may even have used some triggering on the later recordings.

Sounds like you may be chasing a unicorn, but hey, even if you never catch it, you might discover some really cool things along the way.

Good Luck!

(Yeah, I know, this probably did little to help answer your question, but I'm just trying to help keep the music playing around here...)

-I believe I am now at my daily parenthetical limit, so I must go now...

3. Registered User

Basically the Bonham sound, no?

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    What era AVH sound are you chasing? Earlier stuff or newer stuff?

I'm no AVH historian, but simply Googling "How does Alex Van Halen achieve his snare drum sound?" bought up several informative hits (too many to post links here).

From what it sounds like, your specs should/could get you close. Are you running die-cast hoops or flanged hoops? Also, as far as gaffer's tape, it sounds like he used/uses a lot of it.

The real question is, have you ever heard his snare played live without mics and processing? All sorts of things can be done in the studio (and live) to completely alter how a drum actually sounds. He may even have used some triggering on the later recordings.

Sounds like you may be chasing a unicorn, but hey, even if you never catch it, you might discover some really cool things along the way.

Good Luck!

(Yeah, I know, this probably did little to help answer your question, but I'm just trying to help keep the music playing around here...)

-I believe I am now at my daily parenthetical limit, so I must go now...
    im kinda looking for the sound that was heard on Jump.

i put the drum together and recorded You Really Got Me and the snare is very high. i read somewhere that he cranks his snare side head table top tight as far as the batter head i didnt find much just that the batter is lower then snare side. i have the snare wire almost off.

to answer your question i have never heard just his snare. i have seen them in concert once in 2004 when they released Best of Both Worlds VH Best of and they made those 3 songs with David Lee Roth

yes i have the die-cast hoops and thats actually whats stopping the tension rods from finger turning.

im gonna try loosening the snare side a little bit and see how that sounds
    Ludwig Element Sunburst 2 22 kick, 10, 12, 16 toms, 14 Supraphonic snare Zildjian A Series 16, 17, 18, 20 Medium Thin crashes, 21 Sweet Ride, 14 New Beat hi hats

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Basically the Bonham sound, no?
    Alex does something different because they sound worlds apart

6. th droids yerlookn4

i recall reading 90's interview of alex van halen's where said he utilized duct tape (gaffers tape) in a grid pattern on the under side of his snare drums batter head (i used to to the this for those god awful export snares from the same era ) it KILLED your unwanted overtones, but also made the drum sound like a drum sample ..lol which is what he was going for at the time...(this was the "1984..to the uo812" era and little later ,...right up till the the "right now ".. era lol)

so my advise is get an old batter head and experiment .

7. Registered User

I believe the key is the bottom head. Instead of a "snare side ambassador" try a clear ambassador that you would use on the bottom of a tom. I've done this, and it works. The thicker bottom head gives more of a midrange/clank tone to the drum. Then apply tape of some sort to the batter head, and strike with rimshots mostly.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrum View Post
    I believe the key is the bottom head. Instead of a "snare side ambassador" try a clear ambassador that you would use on the bottom of a tom. I've done this, and it works. The thicker bottom head gives more of a midrange/clank tone to the drum. Then apply tape of some sort to the batter head, and strike with rimshots mostly.
    thanks ill try that

9. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I’ve noticed his snare sound evolve, but it always had the same overall vibe. This is a great discussion

10. Registered User

my local Guitar Center didnt have the 14 Ambassador head in stock so i ordered it should be here later this week. in the mean time this is what i have the snare at right now. please keep the comments snare related and not my horrible playing. i think its getting close but still feel im missing something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFE...JQEqqg_ajFA3Ic

11. Registered User

snare sound is close, but I still hear a crisp snare response. In my opinion, AVH didn't have that; the snare almost sounded like a cranked up tom sometimes. Cool that you are going to try the bottom head idea. Also, from what I've heard, AVH had LOTS of tension on drum heads. I corresponded with a couple Nashville drummers that got to play his 2015 tour kit at a benefit, they said the batter heads were so tight, the stick response was compromised.

Nice playing btw.

check out this video, about 1/2 way through
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaBSwlAoe1Q

12. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by broken_sticks84 View Post
    im trying to achieve the snare sound Alex Van Halen uses.
    Do what he did: hire outstanding soundmen and process the bejeezuz out of it
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.