Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    One word: “Evans”.
    Definitely!

BTW, is that 16 floor of yours suspended or on feet? If on feet, and you haven't already tried, I would get those Pearl air suspension feet things.

I struggled with the too much/overtones v too choked challenge with my 16 fl. Put those on and it became much easier.

2. Looks That Kill

One word: “Evans”.
    I tried evans g-2's years ago and found them to be the most lifeless heads ever.
    Side Kick Custom (Keller Shells) Dark Walnut
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

3. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Definitely!

BTW, is that 16 floor of yours suspended or on feet? If on feet, and you haven't already tried, I would get those Pearl air suspension feet things.

I struggled with the too much/overtones v too choked challenge with my 16 fl. Put those on and it became much easier.

+1 Pearl floor tom legs are the bomb, I put them on all my kits.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    +1 Pearl floor tom legs are the bomb, I put them on all my kits.
    Every now and then you get a product that does exactly what it's advertised to do.

5. bangin since '95

Check your bearing edges. I had the exact same issue on my DW kit. The 10" would tune perfectly, kick and snare sounded phenomenal. In fact I'm still kind of upset for sending back the snare. But man the rest of the toms were awful. Completely untunable. I couldn't get a decent sound out of the 12" tom to save my life. I fiddled around with them for a month, even went home on my lunch breaks to tune them and retune them, bought a tune bot, and still couldn't eliminate the terrible overtones. I had pretty much lost all hope and all faith in my tuning abilities and then I put a light through them on a granite slab and found none of the edges were flat. I bought new resos for them and I noticed that I could put a full turn and a half on the 12" tom and it was still rippling the head with no tension over one lug while the rest of the head was tight. I've been turned completely off of DW ever since. I bought a Starclassic right after that, and that kit tunes up beautifully. I've never had an issue with getting a good sound out of it. Edges are perfect, build quality is amazing, and it's the sound I had in my head. Higher end Pearl, Yamaha, and Sonor are pretty much on that same level in terms of sound, ease of tuning, and build quality.

Low end drums are difficult to pull a good sound out of, whereas high end drums are difficult to pull a bad sound out of. If you're finding it too finicky, send them back. There's something wrong with them.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

6. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    Check your bearing edges. I had the exact same issue on my DW kit. The 10" would tune perfectly, kick and snare sounded phenomenal. In fact I'm still kind of upset for sending back the snare. But man the rest of the toms were awful. Completely untunable. I couldn't get a decent sound out of the 12" tom to save my life. I fiddled around with them for a month, even went home on my lunch breaks to tune them and retune them, bought a tune bot, and still couldn't eliminate the terrible overtones. I had pretty much lost all hope and all faith in my tuning abilities and then I put a light through them on a granite slab and found none of the edges were flat. I bought new resos for them and I noticed that I could put a full turn and a half on the 12" tom and it was still rippling the head with no tension over one lug while the rest of the head was tight. I've been turned completely off of DW ever since. I bought a Starclassic right after that, and that kit tunes up beautifully. I've never had an issue with getting a good sound out of it. Edges are perfect, build quality is amazing, and it's the sound I had in my head. Higher end Pearl, Yamaha, and Sonor are pretty much on that same level in terms of sound, ease of tuning, and build quality.

Low end drums are difficult to pull a good sound out of, whereas high end drums are difficult to pull a bad sound out of. If you're finding it too finicky, send them back. There's something wrong with them.
    It's making me a mental case. Here I should be thrilled that I have a new high end kit, and I am nothing but miserable about it. Like you, the 10 inch tom sounds heavenly, the kick drum knocks down walls. Even the 14 is good with the stock heads. And the 12 sticks out like a red headed stepchild. I didn't spend 3400 bucks to become obsessive/compulsive. If I can get them to take it back I am ordering a reference pure. Although since it was a custom order, I may be stuck with it. Oh well, winter is coming, it will heat my house.

7. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

"Jerkwagon"? Had to go to urban dictionary for that one. Fascinating. I wanted to laugh it off, but actually a good dis. Well done.

Call me lazy, but I use a 'Tunebot' and get the results I'm after. I use the guide on their website for levels of resonance and love the results.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

8. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    "Jerkwagon"? Had to go to urban dictionary for that one. Fascinating. I wanted to laugh it off, but actually a good dis. Well done.

Call me lazy, but I use a 'Tunebot' and get the results I'm after. I use the guide on their website for levels of resonance and love the results.
    I have since apologized for my sins

9. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I have since apologized for my sins
    I actually agree- one of the funnier things I've been called.
    Way Too Much Crap

10. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

So, yeah: Tunebot.

Dylan, re: your FT -- that's over 100 inches of bearing edge on a drum that travels for the occasional show, so the possibility of a defect present that is hindering your tuning of it is pretty good. Give it a good look and see what you find.

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    So, yeah: Tunebot.

Dylan, re: your FT -- that's over 100 inches of bearing edge on a drum that travels for the occasional show, so the possibility of a defect present that is hindering your tuning of it is pretty good. Give it a good look and see what you find.
    I’m thinking this might actually be the case. The drum has NEVER been right.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

I’m thinking this might actually be the case. The drum has NEVER been right.
    You bought it used, too, right? So that ups the possibility for sure. You seem to really dig that kit, so if it gives you that much heartburn I'm sure there's a pro drum shop in the NE that'd fix it right up for you.