Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Experienced Noob

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    To the op and JY, you need to check the trueness of the bearing edge. Take the heads off and set the drum on a really flat surface like a glass table top or even better, a granite counter top. Check for any wobble or unevenness in the edge. Any time I had a drum that was hard to tune, 90 percent of the time it was an uneven bearing edge. Even a minute amount can cause a problem with tuning and weird overtones.
    In addition, put a light inside the shell. Any light coming out from under the shell will immediately show you the problem(s).

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Right jerkwagon, that's why I got my pearl masters maple complete kit to sound perfect in under 30 minutes, my lack of tuning skills got me there. I should have known better than to come to this forum for help with anything.
    Chill out, grab a cold one. JYs comment was tongue in cheek in referring to others razzing you about not being able to tune. How does the rest of the kit sound? Try Oliver Steins advise and see if it helps.

3. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Whoa! Dude- my comment was actually disparaging others, not you. I then mentioned that Im having tubing trouble myself. Capice?
    Sorry man, it was a long frustrating day.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black w/ 22 kick
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black w/20 kick
    Sakae Almighty Birch Silver Sparkle

4. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    Chill out, grab a cold one. JY’s comment was tongue in cheek in referring to others razzing you about not being able to tune. How does the rest of the kit sound? Try Oliver Steins advise and see if it helps.
    Yes, the rest of the kit sounds great, the 10 and 14 sound pretty much perfect and the kick tuned up in minutes. Usually I have a harder time with the kick drum. I have the 12 at the point where it is almost there, but not perfect. For 3400.00 bucks I pretty much want perfect. Otherwise I am dumping these and hopefully getting back the 2 pearl masters complete kits that I traded for it. I should have left good enough alone as the pearl kits are fantastic and a great deal, but I got stars in my eyes after going to a John Good/Russ Kunkel drum clinic.

5. Registered User

DW drums are finicky and like to be tuned high for the most part. I prefer a low tuning. I traded in my design series kit for a future collectors, so I’m hoping I don’t have the same issue. I actually had 2- 12” toms on that kit, an 8”x12” and 9”x12”. Both tuned up to my liking, but I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the slightly thicker shells.

6. Registered User

An easy solution is to not use Remo heads. I can't tune a Remo head to save my life (nothing but overtones), but Evans tune really easily for me.

7. Enjoy Every Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    I don't expect anyone here to actually give me a real answer.

There are so many variables as to why one individual drum just won't cooperate with the rest. Bad bearing edges, out of round hoops, bad drum head, etc. Many times, even though we all want our drum heads to match, I find that mixing different heads can sometimes solve the problem. Perhaps heavier, darker heads on the bigger toms, and thinner lighter ones on the shallower drums.

I have not heard the guy's kit, so I've no real solution as to where to begin.

8. Registered User

Cuznred, what heads did You have on the Yamaha’s.

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    To the op and JY, you need to check the trueness of the bearing edge. Take the heads off and set the drum on a really flat surface like a glass table top or even better, a granite counter top. Check for any wobble or unevenness in the edge. Any time I had a drum that was hard to tune, 90 percent of the time it was an uneven bearing edge. Even a minute amount can cause a problem with tuning and weird overtones.
    the truth has been spoken ... people need to consider shell thickness and dud drum heads also

10. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    Cuznred, what heads did You have on the Yamaha’s.
    remo coated emps batter over clear ambs

11. Drumming Since 1943

One word: “Evans”.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I’m having a really tough time with my 16x16 BRX FT.
    that's because it thinks it's a 12"

Is your 16" too boomy? I think coated heads sound better on larger drums IMHO.

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO