Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Talk to Flache before you do that.
    why???? and who is flache??
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

2. Drumming Since 1943

Drumming-4-Life.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. bangin since '95

Drumming-4-Life.
    Matt would know. He's had 2 or 3 MW kits now.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

4. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    why???? and who is flache??
    His last go-around with pearl and his MW apparently didn’t go so well. Lots of errors on Pearl’s end. Hence Matt’s defection to Hoschino.
    Way Too Much Crap

5. Looks That Kill

His last go-around with pearl and his MW apparently didn’t go so well. Lots of errors on Pearl’s end. Hence Matt’s defection to Hoschino.
    HMMMMM I never thought of Tama
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

6. bangin since '95

His last go-around with pearl and his MW apparently didnít go so well. Lots of errors on Pearlís end. Hence Mattís defection to Hoschino.
    Yeah I remember seeing that thread. Pearl got the finish wrong on one kit he had made, and then had some issues with the finish on his next one I believe. It might have been bad luck on his end, but then again, who knows.

Tama makes some excellent drums though. I've been super impressed with my Bubinga kit from day 1. As soon as I played one of the toms I was like "that's what a high end kit should sound like". The hardware is amazing, too even though the StarCast mounts have some issues with some microphone clamps. But that's a minor issue really. The Quick Lock system on the toms and floor toms is the coolest thing I've ever seen on drums.

Matt seems to think so as well.

The Starclassic Bubinga kits aren't available anymore, but the Star kits sound amazing and are superbly built. They really open up under microphones. I'd honestly go with a Star Walnut if I were buying a new kit today.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

7. old dog, new tricks

as someone who has (almost) finished building his own kit, I can't tell you enough how much bearing edges affect everything from tone, to attack to tuning, sustain and everything in between. As others have said, the first thing I would do is check the bearing edges to ensure flatness as I bet that's the source of your problems.

If you, or anyone else, wants some advice on how to true up or re-cut bearing edges, feel free to PM me.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

8. Experienced Noob

Not long after Matt bought his 2nd Masterworks kit there were at least 4 of us on this forum who bought Masterworks kits. It was quite a run there for a while. Anyway, none of us others had all the problems Matt had. But, it wasn't just that kit for Matt. His prior kit had to be re-made because they didn't even get the finish (colors) right. The Matt/Pearl relationship seemed doomed by fate for whatever reason. So, I would say that Matt can provide examples of what can go wrong & others can provide examples of when everything goes right. It's a crap shoot but I think the history on this board is that more Masterworks buyers are satisfied with what they get than not.

9. The Sensitone Guy

Unless you can identify the problem with this 12" tom and fix it for good, you'll never be happy with the kit. No matter how beautiful it is, or how good the other drums sound; it will always bring you down. My advice:

Try some of the suggestions in this thread to fix your 12" tom. Failing that, I'd sell the whole thing and not even look back. Spend months pouring over your options and get yourself a pro-level PEARL kit.

10. th droids yerlookn4

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    as someone who has (almost) finished building his own kit, I can't tell you enough how much bearing edges affect everything from tone, to attack to tuning, sustain and everything in between. As others have said, the first thing I would do is check the bearing edges to ensure flatness as I bet that's the source of your problems.

If you, or anyone else, wants some advice on how to true up or re-cut bearing edges, feel free to PM me.
    i agree with jeff
    it sounds like a bearing edge issue ...
    i was gonna advise talking to the guys at precision drums in new york, near Poughkeepsie . they'll re-edge if you need it .

11. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i agree with jeff
    i was gonna advise talking to the guys at precision drums in new york, near Poughkeepsie . they'll re-edge if you need it .
    I’m gonna check my 16x16’s edges this weekend.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2 basses4life View Post
    i agree with jeff
    Curious, I have a cheap poplar kit that I've refinished and shown a lot of love to. What is the typical cost for a 12, 13, & 16 having top/bottom bearing edges re-cut. There are definitely some dings in mine.