Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I actually agree- one of the funnier things I've been called.
    The beauty of Jerkwagon is that it's only mildly offensive. It only hurts the person a little bit.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black
    Side Kick Custom Drums Matte Walnut (keller shells)

2. Registered User

This has me rethinking about getting a collectors. A pearl MMC is looking good. My OCD about mixing hardware/drum brands is giving me a headache

3. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlnpaisteguy View Post
    This has me rethinking about getting a collectors. A pearl MMC is looking good. My OCD about mixing hardware/drum brands is giving me a headache
    Are you considering getting a Collectors? I would look into a masterworks instead. I wish I had

4. Registered User

I traded in the 10 piece design series kit I had for a soon to be ordered collectors, mainly because I was looking at a custom lacquer finish (one based off a Harley Davidson, and DW would get the paint directly from them). I’ve read other posts stating trouble with DW bearing edges. For the money they charge, there should be absolutely none. I’m not against a Masterworks Kit, but there’s no way in hell they’ll be able to do the finish I want, so I’d have to reconsider what finish it would be. Plus, all my hardware is DW and I’m Not selling that off. I Love Pearl Drums, but they the need to expand their finish options In the MMC and Maple Reserve lines, imho.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 10-28-2019 at 07:55 PM.

5. Looks That Kill

I traded in the 10 piece design series kit I had for a collectors, mainly because I was looking at a custom lacquer finish (one based off a Harley Davidson, and DW would get the paint directly from them). I’ve read other posts stating trouble with DW bearing edges. For the money they charge, there should be absolutely none. I’m not against a Masterworks Kit, but there’s no way in hell they’ll be able to do the finish I want, so I’d have to reconsider what finish it would be. Plus, all my hardware is DW and I’m Not selling them off. I Love Pearl Drums, but they the need to expand their finish options In the MMC and Maple Reserve lines, imho.
    Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love my DW kit. Looking at it, it's a beautiful set of drums. Natural satin oil birch shells with a killer grain pattern. It would look awesome in a living room next to a grand piano, classy as ****..... If looks were sound, this kit would be off the map. Problem is, sound is what really counts and I don't want to spend all my free time fighting with tuning. It's really a shame, because when DW is on, they are some of the best sounding kits out there. It seems like lately their quality control is headed to what Ludwig used to be known for. Once your qc becomes questionable, it takes years to get your customers to trust you again. In some cases, they never will.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    It seems like lately their quality control is headed to what Ludwig used to be known for. Once your qc becomes questionable, it takes years to get your customers to trust you again. In some cases, they never will.
    You Hit the Nail on the Head there.
    Last edited by Pearlnpaisteguy; 10-28-2019 at 04:36 PM.

7. Looks That Kill

You Hit the Nail on the Head there.
    Yeah, now I gota figure out what I am going to do to salvage this situation. I don't want this kit now.

8. bangin since '95

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love my DW kit. Looking at it, it's a beautiful set of drums. Natural satin oil birch shells with a killer grain pattern. It would look awesome in a living room next to a grand piano, classy as ****..... If looks were sound, this kit would be off the map. Problem is, sound is what really counts and I don't want to spend all my free time fighting with tuning. It's really a shame, because when DW is on, they are some of the best sounding kits out there. It seems like lately their quality control is headed to what Ludwig used to be known for. Once your qc becomes questionable, it takes years to get your customers to trust you again. In some cases, they never will.
    I hear that. I was a dyed in the wool DW fanboy for so long that I really considered them to be the only worthy brand out there for a while. And to be fair, from about 2007-2015 or so they were nailing everything. The build quality was excellent, the drums sounded great, and they were really making strides in innovation. I think that Timeless Timbers Romanian River Oak kit was DW at their absolute peak, and it's been kind of a sad downhill turn for them. They figured out that the limited edition worked, and basically just formulated it and have basically had it on repeat for the last 4-5 years. It's stagnant. They're almost offering too many things right now, which presents a lack of focus for the company. When you're doing that many things at once, you're doing none of it well. Companies like Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, and Sonor are focusing their options more than ever now, and are churning out extremely high quality instruments that don't have to break the bank.

I mean just look at their lineup:

Collectors Series: Maple, Birch, Cherry, Oak, Purpleheart, Stainless Steel, Maple/Mahogany, Cherry/Mahogany, Maple/Spruce, Cherry/Spruce, Mahogany/Spruce, Contemporary Classic, Santa Monica (?)

Whatever Crazy Limited Edition for the year: 45th Anniversary, Taz kit, Almond kit

Jazz Series: Maple/Gum, Cherry/Gum, Mahogany/Gum

Classics Series Mahogany/Poplar

Performance Series

Design Series: Maple, Acrylic

PDP Concept: Maple, Birch, Classic (wood hoop kit)

That's 23 regular drum kit options with an annual limited run, and 18 of those are made in the Custom Shop in California. At some point that gets to be too much craziness for your employees.

Look at Tama:

Star: Bubinga, Maple, Walnut

Starclassic: Maple, Walnut/Birch

SLP: Spruce, Maple, Kapur, Hickory

SLP Limited: G-Bubinga, Black Steel

Superstar Duo Hyperdrive

Superstar Classic

Imperialstar

They're offering plenty of options without completely cluttering the the high end, and the Star drums are made in the Japanese factory, where they can focus on just building that one thing.

Yamaha is even more focused.

PHX

Live Custom Oak Hybrid

Custom Absolute Hybird

Tour Custom

Stage Custom

There's very little competition between Yamaha's ranges, and it's so dialed in that they can focus on building super high quality instruments.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

9. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I hear that. I was a dyed in the wool DW fanboy for so long that I really considered them to be the only worthy brand out there for a while. And to be fair, from about 2007-2015 or so they were nailing everything. The build quality was excellent, the drums sounded great, and they were really making strides in innovation. I think that Timeless Timbers Romanian River Oak kit was DW at their absolute peak, and it's been kind of a sad downhill turn for them. They figured out that the limited edition worked, and basically just formulated it and have basically had it on repeat for the last 4-5 years. It's stagnant. They're almost offering too many things right now, which presents a lack of focus for the company. When you're doing that many things at once, you're doing none of it well. Companies like Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, and Sonor are focusing their options more than ever now, and are churning out extremely high quality instruments that don't have to break the bank.

I mean just look at their lineup:

Collectors Series: Maple, Birch, Cherry, Oak, Purpleheart, Stainless Steel, Maple/Mahogany, Cherry/Mahogany, Maple/Spruce, Cherry/Spruce, Mahogany/Spruce, Contemporary Classic, Santa Monica (?)

Whatever Crazy Limited Edition for the year: 45th Anniversary, Taz kit, Almond kit

Jazz Series: Maple/Gum, Cherry/Gum, Mahogany/Gum

Classics Series Mahogany/Poplar

Performance Series

Design Series: Maple, Acrylic

PDP Concept: Maple, Birch, Classic (wood hoop kit)

That's 23 regular drum kit options with an annual limited run, and 18 of those are made in the Custom Shop in California. At some point that gets to be too much craziness for your employees.

Look at Tama:

Star: Bubinga, Maple, Walnut

Starclassic: Maple, Walnut/Birch

SLP: Spruce, Maple, Kapur, Hickory

SLP Limited: G-Bubinga, Black Steel

Superstar Duo Hyperdrive

Superstar Classic

Imperialstar

They're offering plenty of options without completely cluttering the the high end, and the Star drums are made in the Japanese factory, where they can focus on just building that one thing.

Yamaha is even more focused.

PHX

Live Custom Oak Hybrid

Custom Absolute Hybird

Tour Custom

Stage Custom

There's very little competition between Yamaha's ranges, and it's so dialed in that they can focus on building super high quality instruments.
    On DW don't forget about all the different grain orientation SSC shells vlx vlt hvx hvlt etc etc

10. Skeld-the -wicked

Sorry to hear about your DW Kit. Although I have never owned any DW drums I have played a older collectors kit and it sounded great. I owned a BSX in the past and couldn’t get the 10” tom to tune correctly. Maybe it was me or as LS said inferior heads or bad edges.

Maybe it is a quality control issue but you would think for that amount of money it should be perfect in every way. I would be very disappointed and angry! I hope things work out for you.
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare + Red Wine Shell.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

11. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    Sorry to hear about your DW Kit. Although I have never owned any DW drums I have played a older collectors kit and it sounded great. I owned a BSX in the past and couldn’t get the 10” tom to tune correctly. Maybe it was me or as LS said inferior heads or bad edges.

Maybe it is a quality control issue but you would think for that amount of money it should be perfect in every way. I would be very disappointed and angry! I hope things work out for you.
    Well, what can you do....... I should have ordered a masterworks, or just kept the 2 Mct kits that I traded which were good kits.

12. Drumming Since 1943

Well, what can you do....... I should have ordered a masterworks, or just kept the 2 Mct kits that I traded which were good kits.
    Talk to Flache before you do that.
    Way Too Much Crap