Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Looks That Kill

Default My take on my new DW Collectors Birch kit

I was told these drums are a little harder to tune up, but I had no idea what I was in for until I bought a kit.

OK, I have had it with these drums man. As beautiful as they are, I have spent a majority of the day ****ing with this god/dam 12 inch tom. I put new remo heads on it, clear ambassador on the reso side and coated ambassador on the batter side. Tuning evenly to find the tone of the drum. Once I think I have found the tone, I get this nagging overtone. Once I tune out the overtone, I lose the tone and the drum chokes on me. Then it's back to square one retuning the drum all over again, with the same results. I had zero issues getting my masters kits in tune and it took almost no time at all. Stage custom kit pretty much tuned itself for $699.00. Every DW kit should come complete with a live in drum tech, because that's what these stupid drums need. **** these drums man, I want my Pearls back.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    I was told these drums are a little harder to tune up, but I had no idea what I was in for until I bought a kit.

OK, I have had it with these drums man. As beautiful as they are, I have spent a majority of the day ****ing with this god/dam 12 inch tom. I put new remo heads on it, clear ambassador on the reso side and coated ambassador on the batter side. Tuning evenly to find the tone of the drum. Once I think I have found the tone, I get this nagging overtone. Once I tune out the overtone, I lose the tone and the drum chokes on me. Then it's back to square one retuning the drum all over again, with the same results. I had zero issues getting my masters kits in tune and it took almost no time at all. Stage custom kit pretty much tuned itself for $699.00. Every DW kit should come complete with a live in drum tech, because that's what these stupid drums need. **** these drums man, I want my Pearls back.
    *Cue the “you just don’t know how to tune” army.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. Registered User

What is different about a 12" tom over all the others???

4. Thwunk

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Haha
    Tuning is such a lottery. Sometimes ya just get lucky and nail it straight off, sometimes you're there tinkering forever. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just tone deaf

*Cue the "I've got a system, mate" army.
    HHX hats, K crashes, K & Bosphorus rides
    Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
    Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

5. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelling_Sheep View Post
    Haha
    Tuning is such a lottery. Sometimes ya just get lucky and nail it straight off, sometimes you're there tinkering forever. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just tone deaf

*Cue the "I've got a system, mate" army.
    I’m having a really tough time with my 16x16 BRX FT.
    Way Too Much Crap

6. Now With More "Whiz"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster56 View Post
    What is different about a 12" tom over all the others???
    Its diameter?

7. Registered User

I don't expect anyone here to actually give me a real answer.

8. Looks That Kill

I take back my former comment. Sorry
    Last edited by CUZNRED; 10-27-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

9. Drumming Since 1943

Right jerkwagon, that's why I got my pearl masters maple complete kit to sound perfect in under 30 minutes, my lack of tuning skills got me there. I should have known better than to come to this forum for help with anything.
    Whoa! Dude- my comment was actually disparaging others, not you. I then mentioned that I’m having tubing trouble myself. Capice?
    Way Too Much Crap

10. Registered User

Whoa! Dude- my comment was actually disparaging others, not you. I then mentioned that I’m having tubing trouble myself. Capice?
    I didnt read it as disparagung either. Any way, when i have a drum that wont tune easily I will crank the heads down and let the drun sit for a day to stretch out the heads. I then find when i come back to it, i have an easier time getting it to dial in.

11. Registered User

To the op and JY, you need to check the trueness of the bearing edge. Take the heads off and set the drum on a really flat surface like a glass table top or even better, a granite counter top. Check for any wobble or unevenness in the edge. Any time I had a drum that was hard to tune, 90 percent of the time it was an uneven bearing edge. Even a minute amount can cause a problem with tuning and weird overtones.

12. Registered User

I put new remo heads on it, clear ambassador on the reso side and coated ambassador on the batter side. Tuning evenly to find the tone of the drum. Once I think I have found the tone, I get this nagging overtone. Once I tune out the overtone, I lose the tone and the drum chokes on me. Then it's back to square one retuning the drum all over again, with the same results.
    I feel with you! Sometimes one drum of a set can drive you nut - I had this with the 13“ BLX tom which never wanted to sound good until I cut it in half and built a snare from it...

Back to your tom: you mentioned new heads - have you tapped them out of the box? Sometimes it‘s just a dead head which is the culprit. Just to be sure: have you checked the edges and the roundness of the drum (I know it‘s new, but...).

Interesting enough the fact that whenever I have one drum being more difficult to tune in a set it is always the 12“. It‘s not the tuning process itself, but most often the 12“ sounds little different than the other drums and sometimes it ends with a very small amount of muffling to tame the overtones a little. Remember muffling is not a crime - we are not talking about gaffer tape here, just a 1/4 moongel or the like.