Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Looks That Kill

Default masterworks pricing

I want to order a pretty basic masterworks kit, but I have no idea of what something like this will cost
    I am looking for straight birch toms in the same specs as the masters maple complete toms. For the kick drum, I want maple/mahogany with mahogany inner plies in the same specs as the MCT kits. Standard chrome lugs with a walnut lacquer finish in the following sizes
    22x16
    10x8
    12x9
    15x13 hanging floor tom

Any idea of the ballpark price range on something like this?
    DW Collectors Birch Satin Oil Natural
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Matte Black
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Raven Black

2. Pearl Corporation USA

Sounds like standard MW pricing not Artisan pricing if you aren't going to do a fancy veneer.

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

3. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    Sounds like standard MW pricing not Artisan pricing if you aren't going to do a fancy veneer.
    Thanks man, I am using my DW kit to fund this. Pearl makes a superior product, they need to start talking about it. The build quality of my masters maple complete kit is second to none. Pearl shell construction is bombproof. Pearl needs to do a factory tour video like DW does to show the world how well the drums are made.

4. bangin since '95

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Thanks man, I am using my DW kit to fund this. Pearl makes a superior product, they need to start talking about it. The build quality of my masters maple complete kit is second to none. Pearl shell construction is bombproof. Pearl needs to do a factory tour video like DW does to show the world how well the drums are made.
    I'd say a basic kit in those specs shouldn't cost more than about $4K or so. Pearl's build quality is finally getting back to where it was in the 1990's-2000's glory days. I might consider picking up a Maple/Gum Masterworks kit in the future. Very impressed with them again as of late.

I've always found DW to be more marketing than substance. Their build quality is great for American drums (which isn't saying much about Ludwig or Gretsch), but I've experienced and seen some crazy stuff come out of that factory as of late. A guy I'm friends with bought a super expensive Collector's Exotic kit, no expenses spared, and not only did they forget to include floor tom legs, they didn't even drill for them. No STM mount to hang them from either.

Another guy I know bought one of the Spalted Pecan veneered kits that Sweetwater had a while back and found out that all the bearing edges were messed up. Which was my experience with DW as well. This wasn't just one edge, it was every edge on the whole kit. This brings up another question about DW's edges. On every drum of theirs that I either own, have owned, or have played, I've noticed that the bearing edges are rough and don't seem well sanded. The edges on my Starclassic Bubinga are absolutely perfect, incredibly smooth, and that kit sounds every bit as good as any DW I've played, and is priced much better.

If these were errors on a $1500 kit, I wouldn't read too much into it, but these are HUGE and unacceptable errors for kits that cost $7-8K and above.
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga in Satin Aztec Gold Metallic -Sabian Cymbals-Pro-Mark Sticks-Remo Drumheads

5. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Pearl needs to do a factory tour video like DW does to show the world how well the drums are made.
    From when they were made in Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBICdB9hVCk

Won't happen now, however- DW can do it because that factory is in the USA, whereas Pearl showing their drums being manufactured in Taiwan and China would do nothing to positively impact their US-based sales.
    My mother always tells me to smile and put on a happy face.

6. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by DanDickly View Post
    From when they were made in Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBICdB9hVCk

Won't happen now, however- DW can do it because that factory is in the USA, whereas Pearl showing their drums being manufactured in Taiwan and China would do nothing to positively impact their US-based sales.
    Agreed. However, I would like to see their lacquer finishing process, so I could finally figure out how sparkles end up in finishes that aren't supposed to have sparkles . I can't believe they would use the same sprayer that applies sparkle finishes for clear coat spraying; I was thinking it might have to do with the cleanliness of the spray booths?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

7. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by LeftySlammer92 View Post
    I'd say a basic kit in those specs shouldn't cost more than about $4K or so. Pearl's build quality is finally getting back to where it was in the 1990's-2000's glory days. I might consider picking up a Maple/Gum Masterworks kit in the future. Very impressed with them again as of late.

I've always found DW to be more marketing than substance. Their build quality is great for American drums (which isn't saying much about Ludwig or Gretsch), but I've experienced and seen some crazy stuff come out of that factory as of late. A guy I'm friends with bought a super expensive Collector's Exotic kit, no expenses spared, and not only did they forget to include floor tom legs, they didn't even drill for them. No STM mount to hang them from either.

Another guy I know bought one of the Spalted Pecan veneered kits that Sweetwater had a while back and found out that all the bearing edges were messed up. Which was my experience with DW as well. This wasn't just one edge, it was every edge on the whole kit. This brings up another question about DW's edges. On every drum of theirs that I either own, have owned, or have played, I've noticed that the bearing edges are rough and don't seem well sanded. The edges on my Starclassic Bubinga are absolutely perfect, incredibly smooth, and that kit sounds every bit as good as any DW I've played, and is priced much better.

If these were errors on a $1500 kit, I wouldn't read too much into it, but these are HUGE and unacceptable errors for kits that cost $7-8K and above.
    I don't know why DW still does their edges by hand and doesn't use a cnc machine to do them perfectly. No wonder DW drums are always so hard to tune. That being said, the edges on my pearl masters maple complete kit are 100% perfect.

8. Masterworks / Sabian

I want to order a pretty basic masterworks kit, but I have no idea of what something like this will cost
    I am looking for straight birch toms in the same specs as the masters maple complete toms. For the kick drum, I want maple/mahogany with mahogany inner plies in the same specs as the MCT kits. Standard chrome lugs with a walnut lacquer finish in the following sizes
    22x16
    10x8
    12x9
    15x13 hanging floor tom

Any idea of the ballpark price range on something like this?
    Yes. About 4K and approximately a six month wait.

9. Playing since 1976

I don't know why DW still does their edges by hand and doesn't use a cnc machine to do them perfectly. No wonder DW drums are always so hard to tune. That being said, the edges on my pearl masters maple complete kit are 100% perfect.
    All kinds of false information floating around in the world; seems like the norm now. What are they doing in this video? If the video doesn't cue up, go to 26:19.

https://youtu.be/MPQOEe4ETHw?t=1578
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

10. Looks That Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    All kinds of false information floating around in the world; seems like the norm now. What are they doing in this video? If the video doesn't cue up, go to 26:19.

https://youtu.be/MPQOEe4ETHw?t=1578
    That's just for snare beds, they do the toms and kick drums by hand on a router table.

11. Registered User

That's just for snare beds, they do the toms and kick drums by hand on a router table.
    So does Sonor.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DrumandFly View Post
    Yes. About 4K and approximately a six month wait.
    The wait time has gotten better.

My last two MW orders both arrived in less than three months.
    2019 Masterworks / Matte Black

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT