Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tommy_D's Drums

1. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Your collection of cymbals is fantastic!
    I agree! Not like my horribly pedestrian collection of AA’s.
    Way Too Much Crap

2. old dog, new tricks

That Pearl kit looks like it's right out of their catalogue. Very nice photos.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CUZNRED View Post
    Were the edges junk on this kit when you got it?
    No, not really. I cut new edges on the bass drum because I cut it down from 18" deep. I cut the 16" new edges because I had the stuff out but never got around to cutting the rack toms. I'm somewhat crazy when it comes to my inexpensive drums. I like to cut fresh edges on them to make sure everything is perfectly flat and the edges have no imperfections. My expensive drums I have never needed to cut new edges, but I know even the expensive ones can be improved upon if I were to take the time to cut them.

I do have one 12" Mapex Saturn tom that is not tuning up right and I have checked the edge and it's not correct. I'll re-cut that one some time when I am cutting edges on some snare shells I have, but it's not worth recutting on its own. The Concept Birch toms will probably get cut at that time as well. For now the toms tune up well. I have no problems with them, but I just like clean, fresh cut edges.

4. Registered User

Your collection of cymbals is fantastic!
    Thanks! I have been fortunate in getting some really nice cymbals along my journey. There are still more I would love to acquire, but honestly, if I can't create the music I want with the gear I have I think its more a problem with me than my gear.

5. Registered User

Made some changes to my kits. With the Reference Pure put away, I moved the Concept Birch kit to the setup with the fewer cymbals and added a detuned snare to act like a second floor tom, but also as a really low snare:

And with the big cymbal setup, I put my Mapex Saturn III kit in the Concept Birch's place. This is the new Prog/Metal kit in the stable. I have the floor toms tuned near "death metal" territory. The 16" literally shakes the entire drum riser. I need to make a couple tweaks to the tunings of the first two rack toms as they are in the right pitch range, but don't have the correct sonic characteristics to perfectly blend with the last rack tom and floor toms. I probably just need to detune the batters a touch and bring up the reso heads to get a bit more doom and gloom out of them:

This setup is very similar to my old Tama Rockstar kit that I played for years and years, so when I put on some Dream Theater to give the setup a try, everything pretty much came back despite not having played DT in about 6 years.

Last edited by Tommy_D; 11-24-2019 at 02:12 PM.

6. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

The new set-ups are looking ace, b'y!

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I agree! Not like my horribly pedestrian collection of AA’s.
    What's wrong with AAs?

7. Drumming Since 1943

The new set-ups are looking ace, b'y!

What's wrong with AAs?
    Nothing at all. They’re just kind of… One dimensional.
    Way Too Much Crap