Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. mean, nasty, & tired

Default Ginger Baker- RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...gbr/index.html

Talented, opinionated, cranky, brash, arrogant, definitely one of a kind. An interesting guy to say the least.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...gbr/index.html

Talented, opinionated, cranky, brash, arrogant, definitely one of a kind. An interesting guy to say the least.
    Yes, all of the above and one hell of a super drummer. This is a guy you had to see play live and I consider myself very lucky to have seen him twice right in front of the stage. His talent, unique drumming style incorporating African rhythms and his influence are immeasurable. RIP Ginger.
    Last edited by Mountain; 10-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.

3. Now With More "Whiz"

Learned a while back that he did 4 of the tracks on PiL's album, titled "Album" (Fishing, Round, Bags, Ease) and all I could think was..."How in the heck did he and John Lydon (previously Johnny Rotten) manage to coexist long enough to get 4 songs recorded?"

4. A Passion Play ...

WOW. Rest In Peace Mr. Baker.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

5. Chomp, Chomp

I had the privilege of seeing Ginger Baker with Cream in 1967 at Union Catholic High School in Scoth Plains, NJ, where I also saw The Who and other greats of the time. The Brothers knew how to rock. My seats were up close on the right side of the stage (facing front) and I had a great view of Ginger and his feet. As a drummer, I was waiting for them to play Toad. Ginger didn’t disappoint. He gave a jaw dropping performance and made it look easy. He inspired me to play and try new things and definitely helped shape the drummer that I am today. I will miss him.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

6. Drumming Since 1943

Horrid human but brought drumming to new level.
    Way Too Much Crap

7. Registered User

Kinda like another deceased drummer...

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    I had the privilege of seeing Ginger Baker with Cream in 1967 at Union Catholic High School in Scoth Plains, NJ, where I also saw The Who and other greats of the time. The Brothers knew how to rock. My seats were up close on the right side of the stage (facing front) and I had a great view of Ginger and his feet. As a drummer, I was waiting for them to play Toad. Ginger didn’t disappoint. He gave a jaw dropping performance and made it look easy. He inspired me to play and try new things and definitely helped shape the drummer that I am today. I will miss him.
    Wow, that's incredible!

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Horrid human but brought drumming to new level.
    Ginger had severe psychological issues that were never taken care of. His drug habits surely didn't help either.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Ginger had severe psychological issues that were never taken care of. His drug habits surely didn't help either.
    He was obviously mentally ill but unfortunately came up in a time when that wasn’t really dealt with properly. I’m shocked he lasted
    as long as he did.
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

12. Chomp, Chomp

I’ve read or heard all the stories about Ginger Baker. When I saw them, I had heard about the conflict between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, but it wasn’t evident when I saw them. All three of them looked like they were having a good time. Of course, I was 16 years old and was pretty much oblivious. I was focused on Ginger’s drumming and I got to see a master at work. I prefer not to speak poorly of the deceased.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals