Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

The dead don't care - not one bit.

2. Registered User

I dunno, doesn't seem someone who showed no respect to others in life should automatically receive it in death. I also doubt he'd give anyone that courtesy.

It's not like we're talking to his family here, we're just a bunch of drummers who may or may not have been inspired by his playing.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

3. so it goes, bros.

4. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I dunno, doesn't seem someone who showed no respect to others in life should automatically receive it in death. I also doubt he'd give anyone that courtesy.

It's not like we're talking to his family here, we're just a bunch of drummers who may or may not have been inspired by his playing.
    I understand what you’re saying. I refrain from speaking negatively about the dead out of self respect. I’ve heard all the Buddy Rich stories too. He, like Ginger Baker were drummers extraordinaire who inspired me to be a better drummer. Their other behaviors never really interested me, inspired me, or had any affect on my life.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    He was obviously mentally ill but unfortunately came up in a time when that wasnít really dealt with properly. Iím shocked he lasted
    as long as he did.
    I agree.

6. Registered User

Plus, he was a smoker!

7. Registered User

I’m so sick of showering praise and condolences to undeserving deceased celebrities. We put these people on pedestals simply because of their fame and talent. I didn’t know the deceased personally but by almost all accounts he was a rotten, miserable man who consistently treated others badly. Every day around the world there are so many great people who leave us who are worthy of our praise, prayers (if that is your thing), condolences and heartfelt appreciation. So many of them made the world a better place than the one they entered out of the womb. Instead, we fixate on those whose contributions consist of providing our entertainment. I’m sick of it. Off my soapbox, flame away.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    I’m so sick of showering praise and condolences to undeserving deceased celebrities. We put these people on pedestals simply because of their fame and talent. I didn’t know the deceased personally but by almost all accounts he was a rotten, miserable man who consistently treated others badly. Every day around the world there are so many great people who leave us who are worthy of our praise, prayers (if that is your thing), condolences and heartfelt appreciation. So many of them made the world a better place than the one they entered out of the womb. Instead, we fixate on those whose contributions consist of providing our entertainment. I’m sick of it. Off my soapbox, flame away.
    No flames here, Steady. I’m in your court.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

He was a great drummer and a crappy person. I'm over it!

I'm just the opposite!!!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    He is praised and mourned for his tremendous drumming. If you choose not to that is your choice. Ginger Baker's influence is immeasureable.
    Last edited by Mountain; 10-11-2019 at 11:06 AM.

11. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    He is praised and mourned for his tremendous drumming. If you choose not to that is your choice. Ginger Baker's influence is immeasureable.
    Nicely said. This is a drum forum. There are many drummers that have personality problems, drug habits, and mental illnesses. Some may even hold a political view that is different from yours. In most cases we rarely know about any of this because most drummers never reach the prominence of Ginger Baker. The fact remains that back in the 60’s when I saw and listened to Ginger Baker, the only thing I cared about was his drumming prowess. He played in a way that others didn’t. It wasn’t anything like a standard rock beat. His drumming exposed me to a new way of playing. He had a profound impact on the way I play today and for that I am grateful. His personality never affected me in the least. I never approved of Keith Moon vandalizing hotel rooms, or the way Buddy Rich treated musicians he worked with, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that they were drumming greats whose playing affected millions of others.
    Drumming since 1961.
    Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
    Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

12. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Nicely said. This is a drum forum. There are many drummers that have personality problems, drug habits, and mental illnesses. Some may even hold a political view that is different from yours. In most cases we rarely know about any of this because most drummers never reach the prominence of Ginger Baker. The fact remains that back in the 60’s when I saw and listened to Ginger Baker, the only thing I cared about was his drumming prowess. He played in a way that others didn’t. It wasn’t anything like a standard rock beat. His drumming exposed me to a new way of playing. He had a profound impact on the way I play today and for that I am grateful. His personality never affected me in the least. I never approved of Keith Moon vandalizing hotel rooms, or the way Buddy Rich treated musicians he worked with, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that they were drumming greats whose playing affected millions of others.
    Agree 100%.
    Way Too Much Crap