Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

• Home
  1. Registered User

Default Need Info on '97 Masters Custom Ldt. Ed. 22/100 Gold/Bombay Gold? drums!!!

I have a local second hand music shop trying to sell my son these drums.

None of the drums have the optimount mounting system, rack, stands, or cymbals.

It's just these drums, and the heavy duty Gator cases for all the pieces.

He is asking $1400 and he said he'd throw in a Yamaha chrome snare drum worth about $200 or so.

I tried find into on this kit on the internet and I couldn't find anything on these Ltd. Ed kits.

I really have no idea if he's asking too much, and if so, what would be a fair offer.

I think the drums are about 7.5/10 but need good cleaning and the cases are in pretty good condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Skeld-the -wicked

IMO the shop is asking too much. If they were clean and excellent condition with mounts the price should be no more than $800.00
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    14 x 6.5 Phosphor Bronze FF Snare + Red Wine Shell.
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    IMO the shop is asking too much. If they were clean and excellent condition with mounts the price should be no more than $800.00
    Thanks for the input Skeld.

I was thinking about $800-$1000 would be more like it, so you're inline in I thought the pricing should be as well.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    So you're saying that the price if in excellent condition w/ mounts AND the cases should be no more than $800.

I need no know if you meant WITH the cases or without in your estimated $800 value.

Thanks for humoring me.

5. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Here's info on kit. 1997 Limited Edition Masters MMX in #160 Silver Sparkle that was made in Japan. Shells are 4-ply 5mm Maple with 4ply re-rings.

The lacquer has aged. Asking too much for just shells, old cases and no tom mounts.
    Last edited by BadAstronaut; 10-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.

6. Registered User

Thanks for the reply Badastonaut.
    By the way the color didn't fade, they're still a bright Gold color

There was a lot of sun coming in through the glass and it made the color look faded

So what would be the price I should offer since the don't have the Optimount or ISS mounts.

I just to make a fair offer based on lack of brackets overall condition.

What would you offer for this kit in this conversation with cases?

7. Rockin' the Cosmos..

I can buy pro drums cheap on the used market. Are you pressed for this kit because it's limited edition? or because of color? or because of sizes? or all three? skeld-the-wicked gave a good answer to your question. offer $500 and go from there if you really want them. I wouldn't pay $800 for them.

8. Registered User

Thanks.

That's the answer I was looking for

Appreciate your opinion on this

9. Registered User

My Masters MCX kit 10" 12" RT - 14" 16" FT 18" x 22" bass drum . Came with 2 tom arms. 2 Optimounts, Original Masters reso head, 3 sided curved icon rack 2 tilting icon clamps and 4 straight icon clamps. $1400 asking price...I gave $700.

If your son isn't gigging the cases are dead weight. And a chrome Yamaha snare??? Why not just go Pearl.

Is the Yamaha snare brand new? If so what series.

I know some love Yamaha but I wouldn't give $200 for the snare unless it's a used $500 snare. And I'm sure it isn't. If I was to drop $200 on a snare I'd go used through guitar center and get a Pearl Masters maple. Easy to find, easy to tune and easy to make sound great.

I know he's " sweetening " the deal with the " free " snare but I'm sure it's not a sought after snare. If it was he'd sell it separate in the shop.

In my opinion it's priced to high. It's a buyers market. Walk in with $500 cash ready to drop and I would go no more than $700.

If not I'd keep looking. Cheers

10. Registered User

What size is the hanging floor tom? 16" or 14"?

You need a double braced stand base to mount that to or a double braced cymbal stand and a clamp to mount it. And with the virgin kick, your gonna need a stand to mount those toms from. And a three way tom mount for the stand. So, 3 tom arms, 3 Optimounts 2 cymbal stands and a double / triples tom and cymbal mount just to get the kit set up.

That's not even playable. That's just the shells set up. Plus does the free snare come with a stand?

With all the extras you need ( high hat stand, throne, pedals, cymbals ) ... COWBELL! your looking at a lot more invested.

For $1400 and a good eye, you could find a complete kit, cymbals and all. That if you have the patience.

It's ultimately up to you. Good luck and happy drumming.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    What size is the hanging floor tom? 16" or 14"?

You need a double braced stand base to mount that to or a double braced cymbal stand and a clamp to mount it. And with the virgin kick, your gonna need a stand to mount those toms from. And a three way tom mount for the stand. So, 3 tom arms, 3 Optimounts 2 cymbal stands and a double / triples tom and cymbal mount just to get the kit set up.

That's not even playable. That's just the shells set up. Plus does the free snare come with a stand?

With all the extras you need ( high hat stand, throne, pedals, cymbals ) ... COWBELL! your looking at a lot more invested.

For $1400 and a good eye, you could find a complete kit, cymbals and all. That if you have the patience.

It's ultimately up to you. Good luck and happy drumming.
    Thanks for all the info Rocker.

Yea I already talked to my son about it.

The thing is he's got another buddy of his that has a lot of hardware he's going to give to him, if he can get the shells cheap.

He's going to offer $500 and top out at $600.

If the guy doesn't want the sale, he's going to look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

12. Now With More "Whiz"

Others have pretty much summed it up, but I concur. Even with the cases, the kit is way overpriced for just 5 shells. By the time you add the needed additional hardware (even if your son's friend donates some) and potentially have to replace the heads on the kit (factor that in too if they are worn), the costs for a 20+ year old kit will start to climb rapidly. An offer of $500 seems about right to me. I certainly would not go over $600.

Also, make sure to check that the bass drum spurs are working properly. They can rust/bend/seize up over time and you may need to repair or replace them as well. Judging by what appears to be a significant amount of rust on one of the tom hoops, it looks like the kit was probably kept in a garage, or a non-climate controlled storage facility. Finally, I'd probably suggest to the shop owner that he/she not just plop the drums down on a tile floor. Toss a mat, a towel, or even a piece of cardboard on the ground first. Yes, now I'm just being picky, but that really bugs me for whatever reason.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 11.41.11 AM.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  83.9 KB
    Last edited by Cheez_Whiz; 10-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.