Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Prius Day Ruiner

Default Help with Masters Premium Lacquer Finish

Hello everyone Im looking for some help on my Masters premium Birch 12" tom. The finish has cracked badly under normal use. The rest of he kit has have been fine for years just recently this started on the 12" tom. Can anyone from Pearl help? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Registered User

Looks to me like its a result of the shell expanding and contracting a lot, stretching the laquer coat. Have the drums been exposed to temperature and/or humidity extremes? No idea how resilient the shells and laquer should be to different temperatures, just my thoughts.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    Looks to me like its a result of the shell expanding and contracting a lot, stretching the laquer coat. Have the drums been exposed to temperature and/or humidity extremes? No idea how resilient the shells and laquer should be to different temperatures, just my thoughts.
    This is not unusual with Pearl lacquer finishes; we've seen multiple cases of this on the forum. Pearl's finish is thick and brittle... hence the lack of flexibility.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Prius Day Ruiner

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post

No these shells have always been kept indoors, this is my secondary kit and has been played very seldom.

5. Registered User

The last cases I have seen here were handled by Pearl under their warranty. I think they had a bad batch of coatings for a limited period of time. I‘d contact Pearl about this (maybe Al also chimes in).

6. Prius Day Ruiner

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_Stein View Post
    The last cases I have seen here were handled by Pearl under their warranty. I think they had a bad batch of coatings for a limited period of time. I‘d contact Pearl about this (maybe Al also chimes in).
    Thanks for the info I sent him a message.